Sponsored by:

Ever had an instructor like this guy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I figured this out - it could be 2 instructors doing "role playing". We have done that several times in our instructors schools. First, the driver seems too good for his time. Second, I would like to believe nobody can be that much of an a.......
Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The instructor seemed to just be having a bad day. A really bad day.

And the instructee recovered just fine and made the most of the day based on another, later video. Seemed to be very comfortable picking off the Elise. Cool track!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
just note that the event organizer does make a comment on the site.
I've listened several times, I don't hear any comment from the organizer. All I hear is a lady telling the driver to wait a minute. (for a new instructor)

What does the organizer supposedly say?

Phil
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I've listened several times, I don't hear any comment from the organizer....
race911 was referring to the written comments for the video on YouTube.
Folks - this is David from HOD. Seeing this video really upset us - as our coaching crew is awesome, and we have spoken with this driver and he was very professional about it.. However, this was an HOD instructor and we take responsibility...this was obviously not acceptable coaching behavior and we'll address this internally..... The average rankings on our coaches is usually over 10, which is the top rating....but not this time obviously....
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if this butt-muncher knew he was being recorded. I also wonder how many other driver's he's done this too who have not had the benefit of video recording.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I think I figured this out - it could be 2 instructors doing "role playing". We have done that several times in our instructors schools.
Please tell me you don't send instructors out to play a role insulting your students?

I really hate what I saw on that video. That "instructor" wasted the student's time. That student couldn't learn anything from that lap. I don't care how "bad" a day you're having, there's no excuse for that. If that's all you can do, stay home.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Dr. No;7283504]Please tell me you don't send instructors out to play a role insulting your students?

no no no no. we do it in instructor school, so we are all instructors. now that I think about it, we have the instructors who are driving play various stereotypical bad students. I guess it wouldn't do any good to role play with a bad instructor, since we are not teaching how to be students.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

That guy should not be allowed to instruct anyone .. Very unprofessional conduct.. I'm glad it was recorded and hopefully was dealt with by the HOD Chief Driving Instructor appropriately. The student did well not to become angry..

Steve
POC Driving Instructor
Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
96_993TT
Racer

This can't be real... There's no way an instructor would be allowed to teach and have this attitude. Right out of the gate he was rude to the driver. The only reason the instructor is there is to instruct. There was no instruction going on here. So, if anything its a lesson on how not to be an instructor. That's a possibility but since nothing was done right in this video I can't see how this could be a real situation.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well this thing certainly has legs like nothing else I've ever posted.............

I'm going to go out on a limb here, chop it off and let me fall to injury or death if you want.

Where I notice "bad attitude" instructing with the groups I currently run with and hear from others are the older guys who have taken this sport/hobby/pursuit later on in life and kind of get promoted into instructing without having the underlying experience or developing the skill set.

I'm 47 and first instructed when I showed up in Arizona when I was 21, and was the only guy in the PCA region where we only did "time trial lite" at the time. I kind of inherited instructor duty with a couple of other guys because I was the only guy with an SCCA road racing license. Did that make me a good instructor? Of course not. So over the years I run into some guys who are like me--been doing it their whole life. But most of the guys my age and older took this up when they were middle aged. Old dog, new trick phenomenon? I see a LOT of insta-experts in some of these guys thinking a couple of years of DE's gets them in the know on all facets of driving on the track. Further, I've seen some harshness unleashed at the younger guys dipping their toes.

Now, that's a bunch of words, and you don't have to buy into it.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
This can't be real... There's no way an instructor would be allowed to teach and have this attitude. Right out of the gate he was rude to the driver. The only reason the instructor is there is to instruct. There was no instruction going on here. So, if anything its a lesson on how not to be an instructor. That's a possibility but since nothing was done right in this video I can't see how this could be a real situation.
Yeah, all "first timers" setup video at their first DE...
Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
This can't be real......
Thats what I said. It made me laugh. I thought it might be a joke played on the driver. Then I thought it might be for real and thought "what an ars". Perhaps its just publicity. There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary. (who said that?)
Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

That video could have been staged. That or the instructor really is a legend in his own mind. Lucky for MS that that instructor never got into F1 or he would have never had a chance.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
Yeah, all "first timers" setup video at their first DE...
Today, more often than not video IS on a first timer's car. I tell them all you're doing is memorializing the day, you're certainly not going to learn anything from watching a replay at beginner pace.

The other lap the guy posted: http://www.youtube.com/user/ActaeonL.../1/WcOJ7G7fZKg
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Cannot be real.

SHENANIGANS

Quick Reply: Ever had an instructor like this guy?