Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ever had an instructor like this guy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you go to Dictionary.com and look up "douche" you can find a pic of this "instructor". (wow, that's using the term loosely)

I see lots of yellow jackets in the pits. I know who's track day this is.

I hope they have flushed this guy from the program already.

What a douche !!

Phil
Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just add that the driving was not bad!

I think the instructor was on meds (or perhaps off of them).

SF
Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I was thinking about starting some DE stuff this year, now I'm re thinking that! That guy is a Jack A$$ he needed tossed out of that car!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that is a shame. In my 4 years of DE's I've had nothing but great instructors. That really is too bad. My guess it that instructor has a negative attitude in general and for some reason he let it show during those laps.

Probably the same coach in this video...
http://break.com/index/volleyball-co....html?matchid=
Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ironimages
Wow, I was thinking about starting some DE stuff this year, now I'm re thinking that! That guy is a Jack A$$ he needed tossed out of that car!
I can assure you that that jackass is not the norm for any region. I have had 5 or 6 instructors, and have worked with 50-60 doing tech, and I would gladly have any one of them in my car, at any time. I agree, kudo's to the driver for not bitch slapping that guy. I think that he has forgotten what his purpose in the right seat is. If your student is having problems, or doing something wrong, you are supposed to help them correct it. Pretty simple. My 5 year old has more tact and patience than that guy. Unbelievable.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, as I pop back on a computer I see this certainly got everyone's attention. I'll just quote what I put up in context of the DE forum comments:

First, I'll say that I don't instruct with Hooked On Driving, but many guys I know do. No reason, just never gotten the invite. So there's no ulterior motive.

I think David Ray stepping in there says it all about this not being a joke. (Else, I would imagine he would either ask the video be removed, or edit his comment.)

I'll take a leap and say no one else knew about it because sometimes you DO have to replace instructors. Can't say I've ever given up on a student, but I've heard of it. And I'd say there's a presumption the student would be "at fault".

One thing I will say is that, in light of this appearing to be the last session of the day, the student did zip right out through the hot pits and onto the track posthaste. I don't know of any non-wheel-to-wheel run session groups that do not stage in the hot pits, releasing the cars at the tower near pit exit.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
face-ache
Instructor

That driver has waaay more patience than I..
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by face-ache
That driver has waaay more patience than I..
+1

I would have kept driving around and around, not being "smooth" until he pucked all over inside his full face helmet. What a tard!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
One thing I will say is that, in light of this appearing to be the last session of the day, the student did zip right out through the hot pits and onto the track posthaste.
A bit aggressive for a supposed "first" track day.

Plus this driver appears to know the line.

The driver also appears to sarcastically reply to the instructor's every comments.

I guess it appears everyone lost their respect for the instructor because of the "assh**e" comment.

I don't know of any non-wheel-to-wheel run session groups that do not stage in the hot pits, releasing the cars at the tower near pit exit.
Unless its "open track" format, no students

We don't stage in the hot pit at Watkin Glen with Trackmasters
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by ironimages
You can tell by the response here...that is pretty atypical. Actually never seen it like that!!!

I thought the guy was not all that bad for a first timer!!! He seemed to have some natural sense of the line. I just about spit my water when he asked him..."has no one showed you the line?"...DUH...its his first time!?!?!? apparently....
Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,497 Likes on 2,276 Posts

i hope that's not ken or david ray instructing. if i were student i would have either ejected the instructor or kissed the pit wall after T15 and terminate the instructor for good.

i drove TH a lot. the instructor was on line and quite good at it. missing a few apex, yes, but unless you are schumy, most of us miss a few apex every lap.

i can't see the str wheel, but looking at the juxtaposition of the car relative to curbs and the rate at which the car moves laterally on the track, i see nothing jerky.

and in my opinion it is the instructor's DUTY to TEACH the student. dont just criticize. who is this instrutor? i have driven with HOD on many occasions. they got some good instructor, but this one is a dud. if dave doesn't remove this hot shoe, i think the good name of HOD may be tarnished.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i hope that's not ken or david ray instructing.
Yeah, I use the code name "Dan" (or was it "Don") when I'm instructing. Always remember to mention it's my first time wearing a full-face helmet, too! (My first was Snell '80 certified, didn't actually buy an open face until the mid-'90's.)

To the comment about staging in the paddock, I should have been more clear about that being how it goes at Thunderhill. But as I thought about it, all of the Nor Cal tracks stage in the hot pits for non-wheel-to-wheel. Makes for fun at Laguna where it's more like trying to start at a signal light on *** Hill in SF.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,919 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Not bad driving for his first time. I can't understand how he "totally missed the line" and how he's "jerky". The driver seems quite docile given the circumstances. The instructor should look for a new profession. Preferably one which involves little interaction with people.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

What a shame -this is this guy's first experience and he gets an asshat like that. That guy wasn't an instructor-he was frickin' critic. And his criticism, from what I can tell, was unfounded.
Hope that guy never instructs again.
chuck
Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 839 Likes on 551 Posts

A few days ago at Thunderhill. I'll refrain from commenting for the moment, just note that the event organizer does make a comment on the site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwa9TMG63fM
wow
beautiful day
sweet track, (i really like the elevation changes)
and
a flaming a$$hole in the right seat

be safe

Craig

Quick Reply: Ever had an instructor like this guy?