993 Forum 1995-1998

Icy, Cold, Snowy day...had to warm her up

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

One recommendation: After the car has been sitting for more than a few weeks, or during an oil change just before you fire the engine up, pull the DME, crank the engine over til you get good oil pressure, then put the DME in, and start the car. You are guaranteed that oil is everywhere it should be. If you are totally paranoid, you can even do this once in a while when it stored.

I have seen cylinder walls with light rust film after cars have sat for a while (yes, on 911's) so I think it more important that the engine be turned over once in a while. Starting is another issue, there could be a fair amount of moisture condensed without a good heat cycle, so make sure if you do start it, it gets warmed up. Throw a blanket over the grill when its idling, that seems to help quite a bit.

Personall, I think it does nothing for the car and/or engine to start it up cold and leave it idling. My opinion is either drive it or store it. Just make sure you stabilize the fuel, have good tire pressure and a battery maintainer. The latter to me is the most important, 993's just sitting there use power, so any battery wil go into a deep draw over the storage time, so a battery maintainer means that the battery is charged even with the natural resistance of the battery combined with the 993 draw.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a couch around here?
I think I need a psychaiatrist...oh, wait, I have to rev up my car. Be right back!
Oh sh-t...was that rust shooting out of my exhaust pipes?

993 for sale...never started below 40f. Mufflers in pristine condition, inside and out. best offer.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike J
My opinion is either drive it or store it. Just make sure you stabilize the fuel, have good tire pressure and a battery maintainer.

Cheers,

Mike
Me agree.

fwiw.

Which is about 1 cent.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
This is BS, so long as you get the motor up to temp.

But I can see this turning into another one of those pointless, neurotic threads, worthy of a Woody Allen movie. Previous such threads include:

1) Should I start my car during winter storage?

2) What RPM should I drive it at?

3) What gear should I use at ___ MPH?

4) How long should I let the engine warm up before driving my 993?

5) Will I destroy the value of my priceless, irreplaceable 120K mile 993 by having the front bumper resprayed for rock chips?

6) Will I destroy the value of my priceless, irreplaceable 120K mile 993 by replacing ____ part with an aftermarket one?

7) Which is best, a 964, a 993, or a 997?

8) I installed a strut brace and IT TOTALLY TRANSFORMED THE HANDLING OF MY 993!!!!1

9) What tires should I get for my 993? I only drive on the street and this choice is 99 percent irrelevant, but I want to feel like I'm a skilled driver and can tell the difference between $400 tires and $100 tires.

10) Which tail should I get for my 993? I only drive on the street and this choice is 100 percent irrelevant, but I want to feel like I'm a skilled driver and can sense "aero" mods on my morning commute.

Etc.
So....If all of these questions are "neurotic," then what's the forum for? And who gets to establish the point at which topics are no longer "neurotic?"

Just wondering....

Terry
Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
So....If all of these questions are "neurotic," then what's the forum for? And who gets to establish the point at which topics are no longer "neurotic?"

Just wondering....

Terry
It's strictly for advanced technical questions....like how to replace the bulb in your headlight switch.

And of course the "I'd hit it" thread.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 01-31-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
And who gets to establish the point at which topics are no longer "neurotic?"

Just wondering....

Terry
I do, silly.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 AM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is BS, so long as you do not drive the car warm.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I drove mine all weekend and got completely sideways on cold summer tires!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

last time i checked germany has winters.
never realized these cars were built for summers only.

what's wrong w/ you people?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 993BillW
It's strictly for advanced technical questions....like how to replace the bulb in your headlight switch.

And of course the "I'd hit it" thread.
I think it's time to revive the "I'd hit it thread"
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

But I can see this turning into another one of those pointless, neurotic threads, worthy of a Woody Allen movie. Previous such threads include:

1) Should I start my car during winter storage?

2) What RPM should I drive it at?

3) What gear should I use at ___ MPH?

4) How long should I let the engine warm up before driving my 993?

5) Will I destroy the value of my priceless, irreplaceable 120K mile 993 by having the front bumper resprayed for rock chips?

6) Will I destroy the value of my priceless, irreplaceable 120K mile 993 by replacing ____ part with an aftermarket one?

7) Which is best, a 964, a 993, or a 997?

8) I installed a strut brace and IT TOTALLY TRANSFORMED THE HANDLING OF MY 993!!!!1

9) What tires should I get for my 993? I only drive on the street and this choice is 99 percent irrelevant, but I want to feel like I'm a skilled driver and can tell the difference between $400 tires and $100 tires.

10) Which tail should I get for my 993? I only drive on the street and this choice is 100 percent irrelevant, but I want to feel like I'm a skilled driver and can sense "aero" mods on my morning commute.

Etc.

Beautiful and I have one to add:

All 993's should have (or need) a top end rebuild at 70K

Mike
Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
last time i checked germany has winters.
never realized these cars were built for summers only.

what's wrong w/ you people?
2nd. If the car sits for a long time pull the dme and crank till you get oil pressure and start it up. As long as the oil gets up to temp your fine
Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Yep, I warm my 993 up for at least 20 mins. a week after driving it out to my mid-driveway. I keep tire pressures at 36 all around. I then tuck her into my insulated garage and put the Porsche battery trickler on and have had no probs starting her even with subzero weather outdoors (garage temps are usually in 30's (F). Before I bought the battery tender I would have to jump her due to prolonged battery drain (had to replace my interstate battery (x2)!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:40 PM
lupin..the..3rd
Intermediate

In the winter time, I replace my engine oil with something thinner, usually WD40 or baby oil. That makes the cold starts so much easier on the bearings, plus it helps to clean things out inside the motor. You can get WD40 in gallon size at the hardware store.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lupin..the..3rd
In the winter time, I replace my engine oil with something thinner, usually WD40 or baby oil. That makes the cold starts so much easier on the bearings, plus it helps to clean things out inside the motor. You can get WD40 in gallon size at the hardware store.
x2

Btw, Noah, my strut brace completely transformed the handling of my car....esp on driveways.

Quick Reply: Icy, Cold, Snowy day...had to warm her up