Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help! Tempted to buy a 964 instead of a 993!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Tempted to buy a 964 instead of a 993!

Hi folks,
I'm in search of more wisdom... I'm in short supply these days.

As some of you may have read previously on this forum, I've been searching for a nice 993 cab for nearly a year now. My budget is currently about $25K and I can't seem to find a nice car for that price, for 1 of 2 reasons:
1) It's just not a nice car
2) I'm too slow to act on the nice ones, for whatever reason

Recently, during my search locally (within driving distance), I came across a nice '91 964 cab that is nearly what I'm looking for in a 993, for $22K. It has 96K miles and has had recent "make it run nice" service done by a reputable Porsche facility. It looks very nice, and the inspection done by the Porsche facility looks good, but I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I've got a knowledgeable car buddy who looked at it and he's telling me to buy it. It seems like a good car, and I'd probably be happy with it... but something keeps holding me back.

Up to now, I've been focused on 993's, but this 964 is very tempting. However, I feel like if I buy this 964, I'm giving up or settling.

So I'm posing this question to you:
Do I give in to my desire to be done with the search and just buy this 964, or do I persist and stay true to my heart's passion - a 993 cab? After all, they're both classic 911's and that's what I really want, right?

I realize that by posting this question in the 993 forum, I may be getting biased responses, but maybe that's what I want - somebody here to "talk me out of it." (Why do I suddenly feel like the cowardly lion right after he made his big speech outside the witch's castle!)
Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you tried the 2 models?
I chose the 964 for the raw elements...Not sure if you want that in a cab.
Dwane
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

This is easy.

Is your desire to be done with your search larger than your heart's passion to own the car you really want?

Answer that question, and you have your answer.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
This is easy.

Is your desire to be done with your search larger than your heart's passion to own the car you really want?

Answer that question, and you have your answer.
good answer....
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by d964
Have you tried the 2 models?
I chose the 964 for the raw elements...Not sure if you want that in a cab.
Dwane
Thanks for the input, Dwane.

I don't believe I've ever driven a 964, but I plan to test drive this one soon. I have driven an '86 and '87 911 within the past year, and I got to have my way with a 993 coupe for an afternoon last year. Overall, I liked the 993 better, but I didn't "stress" any of them on the road. Do you think the 964 compares more to the late 80's models for "raw elements"?

Why would you be concerned about these "raw elements" in a cab? Safety?

I do like a sports car with a seat of the pants feel, but I'm concerned about the 964's higher maintenance (as least from what I've read and heard). I'll be using it as a nice weather driver in the summer. Do you think your 964 requires more "attention" than a 993?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Overdraft
good answer....
Agreed! That was well stated, goofballdeluxe. Thanks!

Interestingly, after I read your response, my initial thought was:
"My desire to own the 993 is larger than my desire to be done searching." But I quickly followed that thought with, "But it sure would be nice to have a 911 in the garage now and stop wasting time scanning through all those car search emails!"

So I believe I want the 993 more, but the desire to be done is a real close second. Hence, my dilemma.

However, I now realize that I was also interested in hearing some discussion on the pros and cons of each model. Maybe this thread is more about that.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from folks who've driven and/or owned both models. Anyone?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Just my two cents, but a 964 is close to the same in maintenance costs as a 993. The only real difference is routine valve adjustments on a 964. Otherwise these are expensive cars to own and maintain. The problem is that they are getting to an age where the starter fails, fuel pump, etc. needs to be replaced. Overall both are excellent cars for the value and performance they offer. I would drive a 964 and see what you think. I have found that the 964 is more modern than a 3.2 and little bit faster. I think the 993 is the best styling of the 911 line. See what you like.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A 993 in MHO is the best looking Porsche ever made, however a 964 lowered with a set of Speedline 18 inch wheels comes in a very close second.
I would rather have a good 964 than a cheap, bad 993 for the same money
Old 01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a '92 coupe. My buddy has a '96 cab.
I am NOT a cab fan...If I had to choose a cab it would be a 993.
The little extra comfort in the 993 would balance out the dis-like I have for a cab.
The Carrera is a little rougher ride then the Carrera 2/4.
Another of my buddies has a modded '87 930....What a beast!
Have you tried a 996 cab? Boxster S?
Dwane
Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Warpig
Pro

I picked up my 993 coupe in July of 09' after spending 6 months of scouring the internet for 964's. I had always wanted a 964 in the worst way. I test drove many 964's and enjoyed them quite a bit, but was having trouble finding a coupe or a targa that was just right for me. Three months in all I was finding was tips and cabs and the occasional coupe was either 25K or had issues I didnt want to deal with. Then I met Streetfighter (see post above) and talked with him a bit. He had mentioned I may not want to limit my options and consider looking at 993's also even though it was not my "dream" model. Not long after I found a 993 that was immaculate with 34K on the clock. Took it for a ride and fell in love. The price was more that I wanted to spend... I was looking at a max of 23K on a 964 but when I found this one and it was 28K when all the other higher mileage 993's at the time were ~35K I pounced on it (after PPI of course). I have to be honest. I've never looked back even once wishing I had held out for the 964. Strange thing is when I opened up the search to include 993's all I would ever find were cabs and tips. I don't know how wide an area you are searching for your dream, but I drove from Chicago to Detroit to look at one car and from Chicago to Minnesota to look at another. With a few trips down toward Indianapolis in the mix. There are many people on this board who would be willing and would quite enjoy test driving your new car before you and giving you detailed reports. Maybe you need to widen your search. For whatever reason when I was looking cabs were everywhere I was actually getting frustrated during my daily grind looking. Every day new cabs up for sale. they were literally 10 to 1 cabs to coupes at the time. In my opinion the fact that you have already driven the 964 that you found and have decided to show restraint afterward instead of just buying it shows that it's not "the one". When you find "the one" there will be no hesitation. Just my opinion.

Good luck in your search. your car will find you, don't worry.

Nick
Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both and would be happy with either. Both have some advantages, such as with the 964 you never have to worry about air injection issues, a big deal with the 993, and you've got the classic "stove-pipe" front fenders. The 993 will ride a little better, handle a little better and accelerate a little better. But, the 964 left some horsepower on the table due to it's exhaust and responds very nicely to some relatively modest updates. In my mind the 964 is the bargain of the 911 world. Plus with the 964 you would have a little more budget left over for the "slippery slope".

Looks wise, this is personal, I think I like the 993 better, especially the rear, I never cared so much for the oversize rear bumper on the 964, the 993 is darn near perfect. If you really want the 993, hang on a little longer. Have you tried looking here: http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp This is my favorite search engine. Best of luck, come back with more questions if you want.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think most of you guys come from a 993 being your first Porsche (or 911). When the 964 cab came out, OH MY GOD WAS IT REFINED compared to a torsion bar 3.0 or 3.2 cab. Looking back........uh........if you're that close on bucks, wait it out for a decent 993. Or save a little more and look at the cars ~$30K.

I picked up that '94 cab in late '08 for $8K. Thought it would be just fine for a trade off with the other 911's in the fleet. Ultimately, I just couldn't muster the effort to tidy it up and fix the engine. It was just so "last generation" that didn't appeal to me in a weekend cruiser. From a 2008 perspective. The 993 is just that next level of refinement. (Heresy here, but I think the best thing going in a cab is an '02- 996. Intended purpose in life, etc.)

Now if you absolutely, positively can't get past $25K, then a nice 964 will likely be better than a beater 993.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

The 964, I believe, does not have the advanced new rear suspension of the 993. And I've read (I think I have) of problems with the 964 engine block and heads having issues (not that the 993 does not have them as well - SAI ports (post '95), weak valve guides.

They always say buy the "latest" 911 you can afford. I would exempt the 996 from this "rule" as from reading about them, they are hand grenades waiting to explode (IMS failures). If you can find a nice 996 cab, then buy a good warranty (and you should check first to make sure a catastrophic engine failure due to IMS failure is covered - about $13k to "fix") you can probably get a car plus the warranty in your budget range.

And the 996's are far more refined than any air-cooled 911. In fact, they are different cars. I alway say the 996 is a GT car, while all air-cooled 911's are relatively raw boned "sports cars".
Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

I can't even agree that a 993 is a raw sports car. Its quiet, comfortable, and fairly easy to drive with power steering, power brakes, etc.

I'd say you'd need to go back to the 3.2/g50 to get to a raw sports car.

Quick Reply: Help! Tempted to buy a 964 instead of a 993!