Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Tempted to buy a 964 instead of a 993!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward
Exactly, Bill! Follow your passion (and listen to that other part ) ...

...and as per Forum Conditions and Bylaws, you are required to post your victory, replete with pictures
Edward

Thanks Edward, I appreciate you reaffirming my thoughts on this whole thing. You've helped me feel like I'm not a complete bobble-head after all. I was starting to wonder.

And I certainly will post the final outcome of this special adventure. RL has played a big part in my search since late 2009. I just wish I had listened to some of the more experienced RL'ers back then. I'd already have a nice 993 by now.

Live and learn...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1581819986.html

"1997 Porsche 911 Cabriolet - $25000 (novato) Carrera white/navy combo. Tiptronic. 993 model last of long-lived air-cooled line. Major service at 60K; have records; currently at 65K miles. In beautiful shape, needs nothing. Navy convertible top in excellent condition. Recent upgrade to 18" turbo twist wheels and newer 18" tires. New battery. New mats. Garaged in Novato. For more info, call 415/234-6866 or 415/860-8424."

Right here in the Bay Area. I think I've seen the ad before.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the 993 because its more muscular than the 964, raw sports car? maybe not. But its definetley a race car! Look for OBD1 early models if you are interested in one....
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by race911
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1581819986.html

"1997 Porsche 911 Cabriolet - $25000 (novato) Carrera ...

Right here in the Bay Area. I think I've seen the ad before.
Hey Ken,
Thanks for the lead!

I appreciate you keeping an eye open for me. However, I'm looking for a manual transmission and white is pretty much my least favorite color. Otherwise, everything else looks great! If you see anything else, I'd love to hear about it.

And thanks for all the technical input and opinions. I think I'll likely never push whatever car I buy to the limit. I don't have plans to track the car, just enjoy it on the long commutes and weekend drives in the Vermont mountains. I don't want to kill myself just yet.

Thanks!
-Bill
Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think there's tiptronic pricing going on with that car.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Hey guys,
Work is still kicking my butt, so I continue to be remiss in my forum posting duties...

I heard from the seller - the blue 964 is sold. But since I've renewed my faith in the 993 with your help, I'm not worried.

So I'm still in the market. Does anyone have a nice 993 cab they'd like to sell me?

I'm actually discussing the possible purchase of a lonely 993 coupe with another RL'er. I could be lured into a coupe if the price was right.

I eagerly welcome any/all leads. Spring is on the far horizon!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Teuton993
Hey guys,

I'm actually discussing the possible purchase of a lonely 993 coupe with another RL'er. I could be lured into a coupe if the price was right.

I eagerly welcome any/all leads. Spring is on the far horizon!
You live in Upstate NY? Get the COUPE! No one will take a razor to the top and destroy it. You'll never have to replace a VERY expensive ragtop. Besides, you pay all that money for a car and all you get is a rag instead of steel for the top? I'd choose steel any day. Also, no one will throw an opened coke into your car in the summer if you have a coupe... because your top will be closed (you'll have no open top!).

Coupe, all the way.

Or not.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
You live in Upstate NY? Get the COUPE! No one will take a razor to the top and destroy it. ... Also, no one will throw an opened coke into your car in the summer if you have a coupe... because your top will be closed (you'll have no open top!).
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the input.
Do people really do such evil things to rag top Porsches?! Have you had this happen to you personally? I suppose I never considered this as an issue.

Has anyone here had bad experiences like this with their cabs? I'd be interested to hear about them - should I start a new thread?

I like 911 coupes, but I really wanted a rag top to enjoy the good weather. To me, the 911 cabriolet was the best of both worlds. I spend enough time coupe'ed up as it is. We'll see how it goes...
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Hey Steve,
Thanks for the input.
Do people really do such evil things to rag top Porsches?! Have you had this happen to you personally? I suppose I never considered this as an issue.

Has anyone here had bad experiences like this with their cabs? I'd be interested to hear about them - should I start a new thread?

I like 911 coupes, but I really wanted a rag top to enjoy the good weather. To me, the 911 cabriolet was the best of both worlds. I spend enough time coupe'ed up as it is. We'll see how it goes...
Just open that safe sunroof and pretend it's a convertible top! It opens pretty wide on a very small car. But, if you want a cab, hey... go for it. Life's way too short to not enjoy what you want. You shouldn't be floating up to heaven one day regretting you didn't get the cab due to Steve R's paranoia about ragtops. We had a Jag XK8 convertible for 5 years. She used the top down maybe 10 times! I know, you're different. Just sayin'. I don't like to be that exposed in a car but that's just me.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Ken,
Thanks for the lead!

I appreciate you keeping an eye open for me. However, I'm looking for a manual transmission and white is pretty much my least favorite color. Otherwise, everything else looks great! If you see anything else, I'd love to hear about it.

And thanks for all the technical input and opinions. I think I'll likely never push whatever car I buy to the limit. I don't have plans to track the car, just enjoy it on the long commutes and weekend drives in the Vermont mountains. I don't want to kill myself just yet.

Thanks!
-Bill
When you do track the car, you'll be hooked. These cars ARE MADE for the track. I looked so long for a clean example and had NO intention on tracking the car. I now have a roll bar, harnesses, steering wheel and 2 sets of wheels awaiting this season's DE days.
Good Luck
Dwane
Old 02-11-2010, 02:09 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 964 cab, and despite wanting a coupe at times, I have never had more fun than zipping around with the top down and the engine sounds coming from the rear. The 993 or 964 cab look and experience is very unique.

With that said, many tracks will not allow a 964 or 993 cab without a rollbar. Also, the tops aren't problem free. The cables stretch and the motors can fail.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
...But, if you want a cab, hey... go for it. Life's way too short to not enjoy what you want. You shouldn't be floating up to heaven one day regretting you didn't get the cab due to Steve R's paranoia about ragtops. We had a Jag XK8 convertible for 5 years. She used the top down maybe 10 times! I know, you're different. Just sayin'. I don't like to be that exposed in a car but that's just me.

Cheers,
Steve R
Hey Steve,
Thanks for letting me off the hook. I am trying to minimize the regrets.

I have to say it...
I absolutely love the open air driving! Tooled around in various open vehicles (CJ5, an old Triumph, and an Army jeep) many years ago. I also rode dirt bikes. I keep my hair short and I can't hear worth a damn (thanks to my adventures in the Army and all those loud bangs), so it's no big deal for me. The alternative is a Harley, but I'd rather keep 4 wheels on the pavement. Just hope I don't roll the damned thing!

How did you like the XK8? My son wants me to buy one of those instead of a 911.

We'll see what happens. Sometimes life has a way of changing your mind for you...

Bill
Old 02-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by fishing
I have a 964 cab, and despite wanting a coupe at times, I have never had more fun than zipping around with the top down and the engine sounds coming from the rear. The 993 or 964 cab look and experience is very unique.

With that said, many tracks will not allow a 964 or 993 cab without a rollbar. Also, the tops aren't problem free. The cables stretch and the motors can fail.
Hey fishing, thanks for lending support to my rag top cause!

I had every intention of buying a 911 coupe 2 years ago, but I test drove an '86 cab one day and absolutely loved it. So I've pretty much kept my eyes open for cabs ever since.

I'm aware of the problems with rag tops and I don't plan to track the car (although I know I'd love it!), so I'm good. I appreciate the input.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by d964
When you do track the car, you'll be hooked...
Good Luck
Dwane
Hey Dwane,
You are dead on! I know I'd love to track the car but I'm afraid I'd get addicted. I have too many expensive hobbies now and my free time is limited, so I plan to stay away from the track... for now.

I do envy you though. The DE experience sounds great. Have a great time!
Thanks!
-Bill
Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teuton993, it sounds like the cab is what you want. I would go for it. The 964 and 993 cabs are so much fun. You will be very surprised at how well they handle with a few simple mods.

Quick Reply: Help! Tempted to buy a 964 instead of a 993!