Sponsored by:

help with rear window seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 AM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help with rear window seal

I know this should be an easy job but i am having a hard time getting the rubber seal to stay in its place. everytime i press it in, it either pops back up or doesn't sit in all the way. any tips?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 AM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most important: make sure it's the right seal for your my/vin!
there are 2 versions... uploaded the appropriate information for you.

click here
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911ist
I know this should be an easy job but i am having a hard time getting the rubber seal to stay in its place. everytime i press it in, it either pops back up or doesn't sit in all the way. any tips?
This might be bush league for all the purists, but....I got tired of mine popping out evey time I washed my car so I used some high quality windshield sealant all the way around.

It is nasty stuff to work with, but mine has not moved since

Flame on!

http://www.technologylk.com/crl-wind...htm?src=nextag

Bob-
Attached Images  

Last edited by boulderbobo; 01-21-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello All -

I am a new member of Rennlist with a 1996 Carrerra 2 owned since 1997 (Guards Red/Tan). Car is in winter storage (Chicago) and I will post pictures in Spring after I retrieve.

I recently repaired this exact same problem on my rear window last fall.

The rubber window seal has a lip on its underside that fits snugly into a plastic channel that surrounds the window. The plastic channel cracks over time due to engine heat; then the lip no longer fits snugly and the seal curls up.

My local Porsche dealer suggested trim adhesive as the first course of action. Adhesive worked on the left side of the window, but not on the right side. Yes, I tried and tried and tried the adhesive route but could not get the right side to sit flat (boulderbobo, good for you!). So, I went back to the dealer and they offered to do the repair but would not guarantee removal of the rear glass without breaking it. My car is stock and I really wanted to preserve the window, so I declined ("first do no harm"). Then I went to my trusted collision repair shop and was quoted $1,600 for an entirely new rear window. They said the channel is permanently attached to the rear window, and you have to replace the entire unit to really fix the problem. I declined that offer, too.

Then I took my C2 to an auto restorer well-liked by a friend. They ordered a new rubber seal, but missed ordering the plastic channel. I think once they removed the window they saw the real problem with the cracked channel (though I did point it out to them during their initial inspection of the problem). I got the feeling that the plastic channel may not be separately available, and that my collision guy might be right about the channel being an integral part of the window. However, things worked out just fine in the end as the auto restorer is a perfectionist and his glass guy found an alternative way of securing the rubber seal to my existing, original window - they glued the lip on the underside of the seal directly to the thickness of the window all the way around. Now it sits flat and tight. My auto restorer guy also assured me that they would not break the window upon removal or re-installation. Also, his fee for the repair was very reasonable. I am happy.

Good luck in your effort to repair, 911ist.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

Originally Posted by fineito
...might be right about the channel being an integral part of the window.
of course he is right.
rear window comes in three parts:

- the inner cover frame/seal
- the glass/window itself inextricably linked with the plastic"channel"frame
- the outer cover frame/seal

and you're also totally right with the plastic"channel" getting brittle
over time. then it's impossible to fix/attach the outer seal tight.

been there - done that.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

i took a closer look and it looks like some of the plastic channels are broken and now the rear seals flaps around making noises at highway speeds I may just have to find some sort of adhesive to make the seal stay in place...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this same issue and I am debating whether to do a temp fix or replace the rear window. My issue however is that I have some surface rust in the rear window corner now as a result. I will have to remove at some point to fix the weather seal, the question is does spending $800 dollars on a replacement window just to be factory worth it!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
zechunique
Racer

Bolderbobo:
I used some high quality windshield sealant all the way around.
Bob,
Looks like I need to do something like this, and I'd rather give a try with some sort of sealant/adhesive prior to paying through the nose. Can I ask you a few questions? (oops, that's a question!)

- did you do the whole thing at once (seal is a complete circle, well, actually more of a square...) or one side at a time without hitting the corners?

- did you put the sealant in the plastic channel, on the seal lip (touching the glass), or both? I presume you didn't put any that would touch the painted body.

- did you find the sealant (your link) to be removable off the glass/seal during clean-up, or do you have to make sure none gets on visible surfaces while applying?

- how long did it take to dry/adhere? How did you hold the seal in place until that time (to make sure the "bubbles" - seal lifting out of channel slightly - don't return and dry that way)?

I know I'm being pretty detailed here - sorry...

I really appreciate your idea, and want to make sure I don't get rust growth from this!

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd be wary about making the seal too permanent. After washing I lift the lower left and right corners with the tip of my index finger and use an electric garden blower to get a venturi effect to remove the water lying in the channel which will eventually cause rust.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zechunique
Bob,
Looks like I need to do something like this, and I'd rather give a try with some sort of sealant/adhesive prior to paying through the nose. Can I ask you a few questions? (oops, that's a question!)

- did you do the whole thing at once (seal is a complete circle, well, actually more of a square...) or one side at a time without hitting the corners?

I only put sealant in drivers side lower corner. Probably less than 1/4 of the entire channel perimeter.

- did you put the sealant in the plastic channel, on the seal lip (touching the glass), or both? I presume you didn't put any that would touch the painted body.

I only put sealant into the center channel.

- did you find the sealant (your link) to be removable off the glass/seal during clean-up, or do you have to make sure none gets on visible surfaces while applying?

Yes, it cleans up pretty easy.

- how long did it take to dry/adhere? How did you hold the seal in place until that time (to make sure the "bubbles" - seal lifting out of channel slightly - don't return and dry that way)?

I inserted the seal right after the sealant. I let it sit for 24 hours before I moved the car.

I know I'm being pretty detailed here - sorry...

I really appreciate your idea, and want to make sure I don't get rust growth from this!

Thanks!
Hope this helps

Bob-
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
zechunique
Racer

Thanks Bob - just what I was looking for!

Thanks Greg - good point!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Leon993
Racer

MY FRIEND:

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO WITH THE REAR AND WINDSHIELD RUBBER SEALS IS TO DETACH THEM, BUY NEW ONES (THEYRE CHEAP) AND SEAL THE LIVING **** OUT OF THEM WITH BLACK SILICONE.

I CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY CORROSION PROBLEMS HAPPEN IN THE CORNERS OF 993 WINDOWS AND WINDSHIELDS BECAUSE OF TRAPPED WATER. PORSCHE REALLY MESSED THIS DESIGN UP, SO JUST DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SEAL IT COMPLETLEY TIGHT.

Quick Reply: help with rear window seal