993 Forum 1995-1998

A/C service in WA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM
95type993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C service in WA?

Can anyone recommend a place for air conditioner service in Seattle/Spokane/Portland? Or should I just take my car to the local yokels?

The compressor kicks in, the condenser fan blows, but no cool air comes out of the dashboard. I would guess (and hope) it's just low on freon.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
MDamen
Pro

I recall there is an A/C troubleshooting thread here somewhere. It inidcates that that the Porsched system runs at pressures different than most systems, so you may want to pick somebody who has experience with Porsches.

This thread may help you understadn teh system:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...diagnosis.html
Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So which city is closer? There are several good independent Porsche Shops in and around the Seattle/Bellevue area, not so familiar with those east of the Cascades. Sounds like you need to check the coolant system for leaks and get a recharge if not leaking.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many independent shops, Porsche and otherwise, will not even look at A/C. There is little upside and a lot of downside for them. If you just do a recharge and there's a big leak, the customer comes back in a week unhappy. If you take the time to do the diagnostic job correctly, that takes time ($$), and often on any car of this age, the system needs a reseal and maybe a major component or two ($$$$). Again, the customer is less than thrilled because he's into it a couple hundred for diagnosis, and faces another $1000-$1500 to fix the thing, and he wasn't expecting it. So a lot of shops won't touch it - and they probably shouldn't, because if it's overfilled, damage can be done that way too.

I had mine recharged with R12 a couple years ago at a Porsche independent in Seattle. They brought a guy in that works on A/C. It cost me about $250 and didn't last. I was the unhappy customer. I had it resealed and converted to R134 this spring by Aker's Porsche is Seattle. Still nice and cold. Not sure where you are, but I would recommend them if you can get your car there.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds just like my C4, it just need a recharge.

I had Redmond European do it, they were fast, & it wasn't that expensive. I think around $100.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 PM
95type993
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm located in the Tri-Cities so it's about equal distance to Seattle, Portland or Spokane. I think I'll do a little more investigating on my own this weekend before I take it anywhere. There are a couple of things I haven't checked yet.

Quick Reply: A/C service in WA?