Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Finally, an alternative to Bilstein HDs!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Martin, are you looking to sell?

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I used stock drop links for my M030 RoW set up...connected to M030 22mm front sways, and 21mm 993 Turbo (Euro) rear sways.

This is a sweet set up, and cheap too. I only took it off when I had the chance to get a used set of PSS9s.

Now I use the PSS9s, TRG sway bars and Tarrett drop links...this is a pretty good set up too.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm actually looking to get the Koni Yellows, not the FSDs. I wish I could find more (or any) information on them for the 993.
ah, sorry... no direct experience with them

I think Koni Sports are height adjustable though
I know the rebound setting is adjustable

Just checked and Koni USA says the rears are still not available!
I thought I saw more info here a while back too
Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys will soon realize my Yoda-like wisdom - the rears haven't been available for years, I tell ya!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
You guys will soon realize my Yoda-like wisdom - the rears haven't been available for years, I tell ya!
That's correct. In fact, as far as I can tell they've never been available. The reason the fronts are available is because they also fit 964s.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
ah, sorry... no direct experience with them

I think Koni Sports are height adjustable though
I know the rebound setting is adjustable

Just checked and Koni USA says the rears are still not available!
I thought I saw more info here a while back too
Originally Posted by bart1
Originally Posted by jmarch
That's correct. In fact, as far as I can tell they've never been available. The reason the fronts are available is because they also fit 964s.

Cheers,
Joe
Koni's website tends to be slow to update. Tire Rack, Carnewal, and Paragon all list rear fitments where they haven't in the past.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all

I'm hoping you all are wrong.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^ yes, I'm hoping you're correct as well. It would be nice to have more options as I suspect the FSD's + R.o.W. springs set the car too high with no ability to adjust ^^
Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm hoping you all are wrong.
I went down this road when I was desperately looking to replace my Bilstein HDs. Try contacting FD Motorsports and ask about the KW Variant 3s. More expensive, but not that much more.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JPP: the M033 springs alone should put your car a little more than an inch lower than the US stock suspension. Do you really need to go lower?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
JPP: the M033 springs alone should put your car a little more than an inch lower than the US stock suspension. Do you really need to go lower?
Actually, my car has R.o.W. M030/Monroe suspension and the ride height is perfect for a street driven Cabriolet. However, about 2 weeks ago, I was over at FD Motorsports and saw a coupe they had recently installed a Koni FSD/R.o.W. M033 Suspension on and I noticed that that cars ride height was quite a bit higher than my car, so I'm questioning if the difference could be between the FSD struts and the Monroes as opposed to a difference in ride height created between using R.o.W. M030 v.s. M033 Springs which I thought were the same height-wise.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have in stock the Sport Yellow (Front and Rear) and FSD for the 993.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM
bart1
Race Car

Are the rears height adjustable? If so, somebody needs to jump on this.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
jimmya
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Sport Adjustable install with M030 kit

I am currently completing an install of Koni Sport yellow adjustable shocks and struts and Porsche M030 springs (f & r) on my '97 993 narrow body car. I sourced the Koni gear from Jason at Paragon. A little bit of a wait but they arrived as promised - thanks Jason for the support.

Here's my experience and comments. I started with the rears. The Koni rear shock struts are not height adjustable. Neither are the stabilizer bar drop link mounts. They essentially match the stock suspension dimensions. And therefore are not compatible with RS adjustable rear stabilizer bars. Porsche however accounts for suspension height and spring rate tolerances with spring shims available from 3 to 8mm in height. See the 993 workshop manual or PET for part nos. All shim sets are still available. I was told by a Porsche tech to just install what came with the car. Mine had 3mm spacers on the rear strut assembly. The manual states that the number of colored stripes on the spring dictate the shim thickness to use. I bought an 8mm shim set based on this instruction but didn't use them figuring I would error on the low side of ride height. The M030 springs are too short to require any compression upon mounting in the strut assembly. In fact, unloaded, the spring just flops around until mounted onto the car. This appeared to be a concern until I loosened and re-torqued all of the control arms to 'zero' or neutral position. This is explained in the Porsche workshop manual where the toe-in control arm should be at a horizontal position to the ground when tightened. This automatically provides some spring tension from the rubber bushings being torqued as the spring strut assembly is mounted in the car. Essentially, the Koni gas strut is compressed to the spring length by the suspension bushings. Even with the wheels mounted, the the spring stayed in place. Go figure. I mounted M030 rear stabilizer bars with the stock drop links. It fits without issue.

Next, the fronts. The Koni fronts are somewhat height adjustable but the threads do not extend near as low as the Gert-supplied Bilstein HDs. A previous post on this forum detailing the install of M030 springs and HDs references 63mm setup distance between the lower lock ring and the top edge of the mounting bracket. This, it is said, should approximate a starting point for ROW Sport ride height. You can't get anywhere close to that measurement with the Koni Sport struts. The lowest it adjusts is 85mm. Not sure if this is a problem but it does preclude lowering the front of the car to mimic RS ride height for sure. I'm still making slight adjustments to match front and rear ride height to equate the +/- from Porsche spec. using the current rear height as the set point. I installed RS adjustable front stabilizer bar with RS drop links.

When I get a chance, I will post some photos if you are interested. Right now I am finding it difficult to locate a shop with kinematic toe-in tools to complete the alignment. As part of the suspension overhaul I replaced nearly all bushings with ERPs (yes I also replaced all the lock nuts with new). So I am sure that many of the eccentrics are off with the change in ride height.

Summary: Koni Sport adjustable shock sets are available. They do work with M030 Porsche springs. I have no report on performance or final adjusted ride height front and rear.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

jimmya,

Thank you so much for your post. I am looking to do the identical setup as you. I can't wait for pictures and impressions. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM
bart1
Race Car

How do you adjust damping on the rears. On the 968 ones you have to remove, or at least unbolt the bottom of the rears - no good for ze 993!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the rear shocks are not adjustable then there really is no concern with the amount of threads on the front struts. The adjustment is used to corner balance the car... that's it.
I am curous to see the final ride height after align/CB is complete...

Pics please!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally, an alternative to Bilstein HDs!