Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, an alternative to Bilstein HDs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
I will also give huge props to Jason! Great guy and has always been extremely helpful when I called. And orders from them are like clockwork - in 2 days they are at my house.

agreed
i only purchased once (so far) from jason, but i was very happy.

craig
Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to go ahead and order a set, knowing that they are not in stock. About the only other option for our cars is the Bilstein HD, and the Koni's look as though they may be a bit more compliant. I'm not a track junkie, and I may be a minority of one in that I do like the current ride quality of the Porsche.

I tried to read every suspension post on Rennlist: shocks, spring rates, etc.,
and there is no universally accepted combination for for 993. It will be an
expensive mistake if these FSD shocks are not what I hoped for, but the comments by others that have installed them in other cars has me hopeful.

Gert's commnet about spring height has be a little concerned, as I was planning
on getting either the ROW M030 or M033 springs from him. Hopefully I can sort that out when the shocks arrive. A phone call to Steve Weiner is soon in order.

Wish me luck,

Gary
Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB
I decided to go ahead and order a set, knowing that they are not in stock. About the only other option for our cars is the Bilstein HD, and the Koni's look as though they may be a bit more compliant. I'm not a track junkie, and I may be a minority of one in that I do like the current ride quality of the Porsche.
Wish me luck, Gary
I really hope these work for you, I'm very interested in hearing about it post install. Good luck with this.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary, make sure you get springs that give you the ride height you want, because you'll be stuck with it.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Marco8
Racer

Originally Posted by JPP
I really hope these work for you, I'm very interested in hearing about it post install. Good luck with this.
+1

Gary, please share your results. Looks very promising, thanks for taking the plunge! Best of luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Rinty
Drifting

I may be a minority of one...GaryB
Actually, there are at least three of us: you, me, and Don (ship4u).

In any event, I'm hoping you pick the M033's, so I can benefit from your experience..

Last edited by Rinty; 01-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, let me clear things up a bit. The 993 front Sport Yellow units are indeed threaded. The 993 FSD units have not yet made it to the US so I can't say for sure but I would have to guess that they'll use the same housing as the Sport Yellow units so they will be threaded. I don't see any problem with using any of the factory springs. The FSD technology requires a certain amount of stroke to work. If the car is so low that it's virtually sitting on the bump rubbers it won't allow the FSD to work properly. We sell the FSD's for all types of cars from Audi to VW. When they were first introduced it was shocks only and only for use with factory springs. It quickly became evident that many folks wanted to use FSD with a lowering spring so Koni USA put the FSD and Eibach Pro Kit springs together for many FSD applications. The only exception I can think of was the Mini as even in stock form the car doesn't have much stroke before hitting the bump rubbers. Anyway, this use of the Eibach Pro Kit springs is a Koni USA thing, not a Koni Holland thing. Time will tell if the FSD will accept the Pro Kit springs on a 993. We work with Chris Walrod on his bushings so perhaps we can team up on this issue and come up with an answer.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Rinty
Drifting

I was speaking with my tech yesterday about spring / shock options, and he told me they had just installed a set of FSD's in a BMW. He was really impressed with them.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Greg964
Pro

The FSDs are currently on sale for $913 at Paragon. Koni is also now making rear sport shocks for the 993

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...1273lsport.htm
Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Rinty
Drifting

My FSD's and M033s have been installed, with no fitment issues. My Porsche techs were really impressed with the ride.

Post to follow.

Thanks to Jason at Paragon for the excellent service.

Last edited by Rinty; 09-25-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 PM
SkiDan
Instructor

Rinty,

Yours is a suspension combination that I was considering. I look forward to hearing how you like it. Thanks. -- Dan
Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Rinty, Any updates?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Sorry guys, I've been motorcycling for the last few days and haven't had a chance to take the car out to the "proving grounds", being a rough, two lane highway just west of town.

So far, just in the short distance I've driven, the car seems to corner better, and the ride is very compliant.

The lower ride height is very apparent, from inside.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 AM
HT993
Intermediate

@Rinty: Look forward to hearing your feedback on the Koni FSD + MO33 combination. BTW, what ride height did you choose, did you go for ROW as indicated in an earlier post?

I'm planning to get FSD shocks soon, and need to decide between MO33 and H&R springs. I want to lower the ride as far as possible but without compromising comfort on the autoroute & mainroads, which are pretty smooth and fast here. I was thinking of RS +10mm. Currently it's at SUV height and on original suspension at 80k miles... I don't track the car - it's a cab - and use it mainly on long summer road trips + spirited weekend drives in the countryside to open up the RSRs

Any other input on the optimal choice of springs with the Koni FSDs is much appreciated. I've done a ton of research in the archives but obviously much of the discussion previously has focused around the Bilstein option.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...what ride height did you choose...HT993
I have the ROW height, which I understand is the Euro height. My tech set the car up by the book, but I now have two fingers of clearance between the rear tire and the fender lip, and three fingers at the front. I realize that this is subjective, but the car looks just "right", height wise. There are no car to road clearance issues, and I can run our neighbourhood speed bumps at 30 km/hr.

I want to lower the ride as far as possible...
You should note that the FSD's are, basically, non adjustable. My understanding is that there is a small bit of adjustment available, for corner balancing, and to set the car to the exact Porsche spec ride height.

So the choice to made is for a system that has complete ride height / compression / rebound adjustibility, or the FSD system that is fixed in ride height but has variable compression / rebound over different surfaces.

This is my simple understanding of some complex equipment, and the experts can correct me.

Last edited by Rinty; 07-13-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally, an alternative to Bilstein HDs!