Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Detroit Wheel and Tire... facts or attitude?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Wheel and Tire... facts or attitude?

Hi guys -- I'm making my first foray into buying stuff for my '97 993, starting with a set of hollow-spoke turbo twist wheels.

I'm seeing single wheels on eBay and at various places, priced starting at $250.

For example:
Finish Line has fronts for $224 each.
Wheels-and-Rims.com has fronts for 224.99.
There are more on Ebay and whatnot.

Detroit Wheel and Tire (DWT) has a full set -- but fronts are $750 and rears are $500 *each.*

It would save me time to buy a set, but the DWT prices seem waaaay high. When I pointed these other price examples out, the sales guy basically said that there was no way those other wheels were true hollow spokes, and that I should go ahead and order them, figure out for myself they were wrong, return them, and THEN go back to DWT for the real thing.

So. Is DWT right? I haven't been following the wheel market for very long and I don't know what the going price should be. Is it risky to put together a set from different sellers? Do full sets pop up on a regular basis? I don't *need* the wheels immediately -- should I wait? Or does DWT provide some kind of added value to justify their higher prices?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set of 993 HS for $500 on Craigslist. They were pretty beat up cosmetically. I paid $90/wheel to straighten back to the original spec tolerances and refinish (powdercoat). The total refinished wheel set cost was $860. Be patient and shop around. I could not be happier.

Ok a set of "Real Speedlines" would make me happier

Bob-
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably find a nice set of HS for about $1200 plus shipping if you wait. I've been watching them but need to get my moneys worth out of my new 17" Pilot Sports before I upgrade to 18s.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

I have been trying to piece together a set for about a year and haven't seen any NB rears for a while. I haven't been trying all that hard though..

Ping me if you are interested in an unused (new?) nb rear. I am into it for about $430.

If you can find a clean full set for a fair price, the hassle factor is much less that way.

Good luck,
Pete
Old 01-09-2010, 03:13 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

there is always Wheel Enhancement (no affiliation, etc.)
http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...elDetail&id=39

they have a lot of Porsche wheels -

and there are the big recyclers like DC Automotive and Oklahoma Foreign

http://www.dcautomotive.com/

http://www.oklahomaforeign.com/

and finally the classified ads on Rennlist

the hunt is half the fun if you have the time!!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a set of Carrera III 5 spokes in the glassifieds right now that I would buy instead of the hollow spokes, but diffr'nt strokes!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
bart1
Race Car

There is a set of Carrera III 5 spokes in the classifieds right now that I would buy instead of the hollow spokes, but diffr'nt strokes!

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2010, 05:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Betsy W
Detroit Wheel and Tire (DWT) has a full set -- but fronts are $750 and rears are $500 *each.*
It would save me time to buy a set, but the DWT prices seem waaaay high.
So, Detroit wants $2500 plus shipping for these: (750 x 2 + 500 x 2)? Hollow Spokes are kind of rare because they were an expensive option. Also, there are 7.5" fronts and 8" fronts. The 8" ones that I believe only came on the Turbo and 'S' models, are more money, probably 50% more, if you can find them. I paid $800 plus $150 shipping (e-Bay) for a set of 7.5 and 10 x 18's with decent 90% tires. I've spent another $600 to have them refinished so figure $600 for the wheels and $600 for refinish plus $75 for shipping just the wheels, and your at $1275.

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I got a set of 993 HS for $500 on Craigslist. They were pretty beat up cosmetically. I paid $90/wheel to straighten back to the original spec tolerances and refinish (powdercoat).

Bob-
Hey, Bob, your picture looks like the wheels are painted two tone. Like, GT Silver centers and the stock silver on the lip, is that the case or is it just the picture lighting?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey, Bob, your picture looks like the wheels are painted two tone. Like, GT Silver centers and the stock silver on the lip, is that the case or is it just the picture lighting?
Hey JP, Nothing exotic with the paint, probably just the lighting.

Bob-
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!! Half the fun of this thread is seeing everyone's wheels!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Betsy W
When I pointed these other price examples out, the sales guy basically said that there was no way those other wheels were true hollow spokes, and that I should go ahead and order them, figure out for myself they were wrong, return them, and THEN go back to DWT for the real thing.
Problem solved: don't buy any wheels unless the seller can tell you the part numbers. Photos of the part numbers are even better. Detroit is still probably high...
Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone mentioned wheelenhancement. don't expect them to be any cheaper.

FWIW, you could call and ask for pricing on a different, relatively common wheel and see what they offer you.

dave

Quick Reply: Detroit Wheel and Tire... facts or attitude?