Sponsored by:

Annoyances, if any, with your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
You can't wear big shoes and drive the car. I have huge feet . Is it just me or do I really have Big Bird feet? Seriously I always look at my shoes before I turn the key. Pedal placement is close.

Mike
You know what they say about a guy with big feet right? (Big shoes!)
Seriously though, any wide shoe will have your feet getting caught down there.

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
The leather is pulling away slightly from the hard seatbacks.
Is it possibly just a couple of the clips popped out Harlan?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That whirling, buzzing sound in the dash. Not being able to see the HVAC controls from the driver's seat. The fact that (IMHO) 19" rims look too big on the car. Seems like there are tons of 19" and larger wheel options out there and not enough 18" styles.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

the fact that one must remove the rear toe links to dig the engine out as well as removing the rear dampers. HATE that..
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Get the Steve Weiner chip and stalling will be cured. After I disconnected the battery and the ECCU needed to learn again, the temporary stalling during this period was really annoying. Before and after: NOT a single stall!
I have had Steve's chip installed since December of 2003 Steve was involved with my check sum errors in the 3 previous chips I had installed. Long story or tracing my ECU back to Germany to find out I have a rare German cop car version in my C4, as I was told. My old mechanic is from Germany, trainined in Germany, and had a inside track to Porsche in attempt to figure it out. It took months to get things ironed out.

Ive tried every trick in the book and that pesky stall still happens every now and then.

Its not the end of the world and Im still a happy 993 owner.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By far the biggest annoyance to me is that we have a "race inspired" ignition switch placement yet decidedly non race inspired shifters and gearing. I installed the RS shifter and it was a big improvement but there is a lot to be desired from the feel. Next I'll do wevos but I feel like it should have been more sporting from the get go.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heavy (stock) weight, also heavy flywheel, stupid US tranny and the friggin sunroof are the ones that bother me.

If I could get rid of those (weight I've already taken care of), it would be close to perfect.
Of course more power is always needed but the ones listed above are completely unnecessary to be the way they are.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things...

Everything is expensive for the car... not always, but often only because it says Porsche.

At first the clutch pedal was too far to the right, but I'm used to it now.

Gotta agree with the big shoes issue I wear a size 13 and unless I'm wearing my wrestling shoes I feel like King Kong feet down there... all my other shoes I own feel too big for the space down there.

It was extremely difficult to run aftermarket alarm & stereo wiring to parts of the car due to copious quantities of glue holding things together, but a dream for installing an aftermarket amp (after penetrating the firewall in front).

I often accidentally activate the wiper/washer jets just after washing and detailing her and shoot cleaner all over the freshly washed car. (those jets are STRONG)

While removing the side dash screw covers and the plastic door sill I broke them all even though I knew exactly how to remove them. Of course back to my first item those three pieces of plastic are probably more than $40 to replace

The in glass antenna is crap if you live more than 10 miles from the city.

Many parts, even aftermarket parts, are priced as if they were made of gold.

There's most of my nit picky list.

There are many many good things too.

Nick
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My pet peeve is that it can carry only a few 2x4's at a time.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
You know what they say about a guy with big feet right? (Big shoes!)
Seriously though, any wide shoe will have your feet getting caught down there.
Originally Posted by Warpig
Gotta agree with the big shoes issue I wear a size 13 and unless I'm wearing my wrestling shoes I feel like King Kong feet down there... all my other shoes I own feel too big for the space down there.

At least I am not the only one. And I do look at what type of shoes I have on before I get in the car.

Mike
Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid *** switch blade key, who the hell designed that?

Other than that no complaints!.... Love the car!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
The LWF (light weight flywheel) by far and away, is the biggest annoyance of my 993 and probably for 70%+ of all other 1995 owners with the LWF.

Of course I cant speak for others but I cant image anyone who loves a stalling vehicle from time to time.

About 70% experience stalls in the 95/LWF and the other 30% probably are lying.
Neither of my 993 engine w/ lwf stalls
Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasser
From a race car point of view, Gearing is a real problem. Needs closer ratio even for the street IMO.

Light weight flywheel is not a problem on my chipped car. I don't know what or who made the chip as it came with the car. Only stalls when cold.

Glue, these porsche people really love their glue. I think they used glue to put the glue on so the glue would stick to the glue, oh and then cover it with foam.
+1
Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arena993
You can't wear big shoes and drive the car. Not that I have huge feet (size 12), but I wouldn't throw on my Columbia low rise hiking shoes to drive the car. Is it just me or do I really have Big Bird feet? Seriously I always look at my shoes before I turn the key. Pedal placement is close.

Mike
For track days I have to us the narrowest shoes I have for my size 13s
Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

SAI, SAI, SAI, SAI, oh yeah and that damn immobilizer.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
You know what's just unbelievably annoying? You can't get the AC vents to blow directly onto you. It's 110 degrees inside your car, you crank up the AC, and you can't direct that cool breeze onto your face. You just have to sit there for 10 minutes and wait for the ambient temps to decrease. This is really damned annoying. They couldn't make the center vents angle to the sides a few more millimeters? WTF people.
agree, this is very annoying

i also don't like:

-the door mounted speaker covers are right where my foot swings out when exiting...CRACK!

-the windshield squeaks if i don't put in ice wax every 4-6 mos. and then the extra wax leaks out and gets all over the paint hours later when i drive it.

-no matter what method i use to close the front trunk i feel like i'm damaging something.

Quick Reply: Annoyances, if any, with your 993?