Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin noise..motor mounts or mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a booming, high pressure ordeal. I'll call Darin..
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

I have a 964, so take my experience for what it's worth...

I have Wevo black mounts, primary bypass (ugly 964 exhaust system), and the engine sound pad removed. I transport my kids a couple times a week and the noise is totally acceptable. It really is! My wife only occasionally rides in the car and she never complains about the noise, believe me she would it it was even close to borderline loud. This weekend, the four of us popped in the car and drove an hour each way to a friend's house. Cold day with all the windows up (no radio also), it never felt boomy... actually at low revs it's pretty calm given the cars age. It's a little louder with the mounts, but actually I'm amazed it's so street-able? The benefits of the mounts out weigh any negatives... the car feels a bit tighter, more direct.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a set of RS mounts in my car if you find its the mounts and want to get rid of your wevo's. Mine are 12 months old (6 months driving) with only 1500 miles on them. PM if interested in a swap.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
Its a booming, high pressure ordeal. I'll call Darin..
Sounds like it has nothing to do with the mounts. This is exactly the brain-stirring feeling I get with my supercups, and I had those pipes on my car long before I dumped the stock mounts. I don't believe there's anything wrong with the mufflers.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first guess would be the WEVO motor mounts. I have the WEVO black and can definitely hear and feel the engine rattle more than when I had the stock mounts. I used to have the Fister Stage 2 with the stock motor mounts and did not feel any engine rattle.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

I'm starting to get the feeling there is something amiss with the installation or condition of the cat/exhaust system setup. The guys who installed everything had never worked on an air cooled 911 before. They were the guys that welded in the Rennline gusset. Perhaps a loose clamp, misaligned install, cracked cat or something. Who knows.

This isn't making much sense. Too many people have the same setup and consider it quiet at highway speeds.

Time to find a local shop and get it checked out. I wish I knew more folks around here. A FD Motorsports down this way would be great right now.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm starting to get the feeling there is something amiss with the installation or condition of the cat/exhaust system setup. The guys who installed everything had never worked on an air cooled 911 before. They were the guys that welded in the Rennline gusset. Perhaps a loose clamp, misaligned install, cracked cat or something. Who knows.

This isn't making much sense. Too many people have the same setup and consider it quiet at highway speeds.

Time to find a local shop and get it checked out. I wish I knew more folks around here. A FD Motorsports down this way would be great right now.
I think you got some names of some good mechanics around here before you moved down here. Anyone of them should be able to source and fix your problem.

Methinks you may be right that it's the cat/exhaust system that could be the culprit...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Maz, Stage IIs definitely don't boom at all in the cabin. They don't resonate or drone at all, either. In fact while cruising they are very mellow and sound stock inside, until you step on it. You are having the complete opposite symptoms. Wevo mounts will not change that. Something else is definitely wrong. Since the shop removed your cat to reinforce the engine brace I would inspect your cat and all exhaust connections thoroughly. Make sure they reinstalled the metal sealing rings at the cat/muffler connections. What you are decribing is definitely not an issue with any of my muffler mods.
I would be more than happy to make the trip down and look at this for you. Just let me know.

Last edited by FisterD; 01-04-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
I would be more than happy to make the trip down and look at this for you. Just let me know.
If you come down, I have two spare bedrooms. You are more than welcome to stay with us.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:15 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Im running Wevo mounts, Fabspeed maxflo mufflers & X-pipe no cats in a cabriolet. No dronning etc. The car is quite at highway speeds. Wevo Motor mounts dont make any noise per say they just transmit more vibration to the interior. After sometime you wont even notice it.

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
If you come down, I have two spare bedrooms. You are more than welcome to stay with us.
What a guy!

I think something in the install is off. Some of your exhaust or engine components are touching something they are not supposed to be. I'd try to diagnose this pretty quick.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Now this makes more sense. I doubt it's the mounts or the mufflers then. Did these guys replace the gaskets between the cat and the heat exchangers? I would get the whole thing looked at ASAP!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Bring it over Saturday, Robin and I will put her on the lift and take a look.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Thanks for the gracious offer, Chuck. My offer to drive down still stands, but Maz insisted he didn't want me make the road trip.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FisterD
Thanks for the gracious offer, Chuck. My offer to drive down still stands, but Maz insisted he didn't want me make the road trip.
Darin, if you do make the trip, you'd better load up your truck with plenty of mufflers...... They'll sell like hot cakes!

Quick Reply: Cabin noise..motor mounts or mufflers?