Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my '97 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that you should just keep it. You will have trouble finding another so nice. By the time you spend on another 993 with taxes, mods, whatever you plan on doing to it, I bet it still wouldn't be as nice as what you now have and your $$$ will be close to even. Why bother? Your current car is very desirable now and will be 10 years from now even with 80,000 miles on it. I'm sure you will continue to have 'all records and maintenance history' throughout. You will get excellent money in the future. Even if you sold it now for $48,000 and sold it for $28,000 in 10 years isn't $2,000 per year worth having such a fine machine that you know and love? I think so anyway. Hell, it could be worth $40,000 in 10 years. Who knows what the 'air-cooled' market will bear one day. The nice cars will be even tougher to find, that's for sure.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:54 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Any interior pictures? Picture of the build sticker?
Thanks
Originally Posted by Keadog
I'm looking but in no hurry. It wouldn't be my first choice of color but far from last. It seems like the asking prices of the wide bodied cars are not that far from TTs - I can't understand that. I would pay $60-65K for a TT before I would think of spending over $50K for an S (yes, I had a '98 C2S and have driven TTs - there's no comparison in my mind). What am I missing? There's more than $10-15K difference, don't you think?
Nice looking car - agree with the request for current interior photos and build sticker.
I'll either find some interior pics lying around or go downstairs and take some. :-) Same with build sticker.

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
I love the color. And call me a nut, but I think 36k miles is low. But then again my daily driven NB has 151k miles now, so my perspective is skewed. Why not try selling her, and finding a higher mileage TT that you can feel comfortable clocking more miles for similar $$?
Matt, this is along the lines of what I was thinking.

I want to thank everyone who has given their thoughts so far. As I expected, the board is split (pretty much the same as me).

I'm going too keep chewing on it for a bit longer...
Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Drive the wheels off of it and drive it like you stole it!
If you end up keeping it for years, you will not able to put a price on your enjoyment. The more miles you put on it, the more liberated you will feel. Also, you probably bought it with low miles to ensure lower maintenance costs, start spending your "credit."
Have fun! Lose the guilt.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imho, unless you really need the extra $$ then just keep it.

The money you used to pay for it in the first place is spent. If you need money, then sell it. But don't replace it. Because if you really want one, you already have one. And it's one that you know inside and out and doesn't need any work (unless there's something wrong with it.)

It's not like the car has 10k on it. It's a garage queen only because you don't drive it. Why not drive it like you would one with higher mileage? I think we get confused between the fact that these cars aren't made anymore and therefore are somewhat valuable. The reality is that they were made and sold to be driven and enjoyed. We should either collect (perfect very low mileage rare ones) or drive them.

Plus there's all the time and effort you're going to spend selling and then looking again (unless you enjoy that process; the looking is fun, but the selling is not, imho.)

Anyway, that's my take.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM
993C4RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Drive the wheels off of it and drive it like you stole it!
If you end up keeping it for years, you will not able to put a price on your enjoyment. The more miles you put on it, the more liberated you will feel. Also, you probably bought it with low miles to ensure lower maintenance costs, start spending your "credit."
Have fun! Lose the guilt.
I agree 1000% percent...
DRIVE IT AND ENJOY IT!!!! LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!
I'm a Porsche technician and feel Porsche's just weren't meant to be collector cars!!! AAAHHH...
Old 12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

I am in a similar position to you, but have no qualms about what to do...

I bought my 993 around the same time as you, having spent my time patiently looking through all the available cars at the time. That included private sales, Wilhoit, European Locators, Holt, Sloan, etc. I was looking for a 95-97 NB car, with the lowest mileage (within reason). Found my 16K mile car privately for $42K USD equivalent at the time. My goal was to find the 993 I would have bought new (had I been out of school and had a job when they were still available!)

I have doubled the mileage with spirited drives and DE - no regrets whatsover. Notwithstanding the increased use, I keep it up both mechanically and aesthetically. My reasoning on buying was not to keep the miles low, but rather having a trouble free 10-15 year horizon where I could enjoy a really nice example of the 993, driven (hard) as intended, before major work may be required. Is my car worth less than what I paid? Yup. Would I replace it with another and all the headaches that entails? No way.

Good luck either way, but I would DRIVE it!

Best,

Matt
Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I think it would be foolish to sell it and buy a cheaper one. You bought that color combo because you really like it, I'm guessing. It's VERY rare, so you don't see it wherever you go. Life's too short to risk getting a problem car as you now have a fully sorted one in the color you like.

Just my opinion, as it is SWEET!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 550 Posts

I have to agree with the others...36K miles is not collector car miles. I'd say you're in the low $40K range for your car with the right buyer, so you can find the $10K differential you are looking for...but will eat up that $10K in no time with buying costs (tax, shipping, PPI, registration etc.) and maintainance costs on a higher mile car! Keep it and drive it.......
Old 12-27-2009, 07:36 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the keep it camp too. If this car wasn't what you really wanted and your dream car was in reach if you sold, then by all means.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. While I'm still considering my options, I'm keeping her for right now. I'll reassess come spring time. Thanks again and Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good decision to keep your C4S. I think you'll have "Seller's remorse" after you sold it unless you were next in line for a Turbo/TurboS.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM
rc1320
Instructor

John, your only decision should have been to stay with 4 or go to 2.

-Ryan (from CarDomain)
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
rl3193
Rennlist Member

993-C4S, I noticed this post a while back as I've been keeping an eye on this forum. I'm curious to know if your thinking has evolved since December. I'm in the market for a 993 C4S and would be interesed in talking to you about yours. It looks like a great car. Let me know if you would be interested in talking. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM
DanL993
button queen

Very nice looking car, although I am a Guards Red guy personally I do prefer cashmere and that combination must look terrific. IMHO you are fortunate to have this car.

Keep it, care for it, and GO DRIVE IT!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rl3193
993-C4S, I noticed this post a while back as I've been keeping an eye on this forum. I'm curious to know if your thinking has evolved since December. I'm in the market for a 993 C4S and would be interesed in talking to you about yours. It looks like a great car. Let me know if you would be interested in talking. Thanks in advance.
Still sitting squarely on the fence. :-) She has been locked away all winter in storage. I'll be taking her out in the next month and when we go for a drive, I may not be able to part ways....

Originally Posted by DanL993
Very nice looking car, although I am a Guards Red guy personally I do prefer cashmere and that combination must look terrific. IMHO you are fortunate to have this car.

Keep it, care for it, and GO DRIVE IT!!
I agree completely, but I'm also thinking I might be ready for a change. I wish I had the ability to keep it and get a second, but that's not in the cards for now.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my '97 993 C4S