Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Newbie Post"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the RS bits in my garage. I hate making holes where there aren't holes, but I need to mount it up. I guess I am putting it in the front, as my engine lid shocks were replaced after it hit my mechanic's head a couple of times

You might also look at www.seinesystems.com

Great car, though. I am jealous of it and your working at Andial!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah
Beautiful.

I need a hood -- how does the Getty CF one fit? Sometimes it's hard to tell in pictures. And how does the latch work? Can you take a pic of that by any chance?
I knew I would have to answer this question...

Well, anyone who has experience with CF, or fiberglass in general, will tell you it's difficult to get juuuuust right... Now, I'm talking only about the kind of CF made with the vacuum process... not the superduperexpensive stuff like Linton's... (whose car and CF parts I must say are absolutely amazing) ... hoods like mine are around $1000, his is probably more than 10 times that... So, my hood is the 10lb. version they make (which i was told is one of their lighter ones) ... and after some time passes.. and maybe a hundred heat cycles in the sun... they will "move"... which means the smooth as glass surface will become slightly distored and "wavy"... I went back and forth with my body shop and Getty/MAshaw, and I've kinda been told there's not much to do about it... but a heavier version hood might help.
...and another thing to consider is, I was told, there's another level of difficulty by wanting your CF only clear-coated... because body shops can't use primer, paint or fillers...and they can only rely on "blocking" and clearing over and over... and I've had this done twice so far... I'm probably gonna get done again soon...

It's hard not to get into to much detail about this, but I'm just tryin to be honest...

In a nutshell... fit and finish is pretty good... I know we are all very picky and have a good attn to detail, so it's not flawless... I personally compromised a little for weight advantage and "coolness" factor... IF you are looking for something closer to perfection buy the factory alum hood, I think about it all the time...

And another thing is I don't have any other brands to compare, so if anyone out there has different brands there feedback would be good..

oh yea! you transfer your latch to the CF hood because its got all the same mounting points...

Originally Posted by bart1
I have the RS bits in my garage. I hate making holes where there aren't holes, but I need to mount it up. I guess I am putting it in the front, as my engine lid shocks were replaced after it hit my mechanic's head a couple of times

You might also look at www.seinesystems.com

Great car, though. I am jealous of it and your working at Andial!
OMG, those hood props are EXACTLY what I need!!!
But now I wish I didnt drill the holes and rivet the front factory one... NOW they won't match!... I'm buyin the rear one for sure... I'll think about the front one...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM
bart1
Race Car

Glad I could help. I have emailed the SS guys before - they are very helpful. I think the rear application requires a bracket, which they may provide now.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4RS
In a nutshell... fit and finish is pretty good... I know we are all very picky and have a good attn to detail, so it's not flawless... I personally compromised a little for weight advantage and "coolness" factor... IF you are looking for something closer to perfection buy the factory alum hood, I think about it all the time...

And another thing is I don't have any other brands to compare, so if anyone out there has different brands there feedback would be good..
Thanks for this. Just what I wanted to know. I'm going to paint mine body color, so I'll have a little fitment leeway.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:44 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by bart1
Glad I could help. I have emailed the SS guys before - they are very helpful. I think the rear application requires a bracket, which they may provide now.
I just ordered front and rear!!
The carbon fiber was calling me...

I'll post feedback when I recieve and install...
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4RS
I just ordered front and rear!!
The carbon fiber was calling me...

I'll post feedback when I recieve and install...
Cool, I didn't know the RS also had this support in the rear. Nice! Please post pics after the install . Love your car btw!

Happy new year!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

You have a one of a kind looking 993. Never seen another one quite just like it. Very unique and dastardly looking!

Thanks for posting, finally.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

from the street the rear 12 inch 295's are menacing. Soooo sweet!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
bart1
Race Car

Grawsome! Yeah, let us know how the rear application works out. I still think you will have to make a bracket, but maybe not.

Still love that car...

Viggo, the factory RS didn't have a rear prop.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Stunning car! Great mods!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Great looking car and those wheels!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Great looking 993!!

What do those wheels run? $$$$
Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 PM
993C4RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Great looking 993!!

What do those wheels run? $$$$
Thanks again everyone...

The wheels are not cheap...
retail is over 5K...

I had 996 hollows (not for sale) and they were cool, but I think I needed a more aggresive look to finish off the car... (not that it's finished)

I was thinking about the Champion RG5s and other BBSs but I really was drawn to the concave deep offset look... and like I said before, I wanted fully forged, 1 piece, lightweight, and I like the split spoke design wheels... they have a nice motorsport style!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Really amazing that those wheels are so light and look so good. I have pulled about 15 -18 pounds off of my car so far and would like to weigh it just to see where I'm at.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Cool, I didn't know the RS also had this support in the rear. Nice! Please post pics after the install . Love your car btw!

Happy new year!
Viggo,

I have two UK RS models and one German RS - none have the rear support shown and discussed but the hydraulic ones that all other Porsches have.
Also the support for the bonnet is mounted on the left hand side (as you sit in the car) of the bonnet.
So did the rest of the world RS's have different supports to Europe????

BTW - I love the black S very very nice and some great mods!! keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: "Newbie Post"