Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who knows about '93-'98 Supras, I need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is a '96 Sport Roof with 65k miles, and yes...its an Automatic. Some of you may really not like this but I think of it as a modern Japanese 928 in the way that it drives. I think they are very similar actually. This coming from a life long 928 fan.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend traded in a '93 Civic on a new Toyota just before her recent college graduation. My guess would be, even if it was a pristine low mileage example, it would be worth $5k at most - probably closer to 3-4k..

Originally Posted by mlk118s
I disagree. Honda never made a TT Civic....but everyone loves to modify those. The Civic nameplate is a legend in its own right as is a Supra, or a Corvette, or a 911 etc... The Supra TT was a halo car to be certain, but the cars already had a following when the MKIV came out. Turbos or no, it was a unique looking car and it did have an appeal just from that. Even today the car draws a ton of looks. Maybe if someone does an nice tasteful and discrete upgrade i would be ok with it. Will it be collectible? Most certainly....its just to what extent. My uncle had a friend who bought a Purple 427 AC Cobra in the late 60's for a few grand. Nick Mason from Pink Floyd got his Ferrari 250 GTO in 1970 for 7000 pounds. People used to think that old cars were just that, little did they know what they would be worth today. With product branding and image coming so far in the last 40 years those are day never to be seen again. Just as the 911 or 959, Daytona or F40, are icons to us, to my generation (current age 30) and younger they think of the NSX,SKYLINE and Supra in the same esteem. No, just for the record I am not comparing a Toyota Supra to an AC Cobra, or GTO....but in time who knows.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:04 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

If the 911 Turbos were never produced would NA cars just be cars? The answer is no, they are still special because of the engineering and what goes into one. When Porsche was on the brink in the early '90's they brought in Toyota engineers to streamline production and help turn them into what is now the worlds most profitable auto maker. While we may hate to admit it, the Japanese do a wonderful job and often end up beating us at our own game. Also, for the Supra being mass produced, i would say not. According to what I did find in a couple places in 1996 there were officially 71 yes 71 Non-Turbo Sport Roof Automatics. The 993 Turbo S of the next year numbered 182 if memory is correct.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

If the 911 Turbos were never produced would NA cars just be cars? The answer is no, they are still special because of the engineering and what goes into one. When Porsche was on the brink in the early '90's they brought in Toyota engineers to streamline production and help turn them into what is now the worlds most profitable auto maker. While we may hate to admit it, the Japanese do a wonderful job and often end up beating us at our own game. Also, for the Supra being mass produced, i would say not. According to what I did find in a couple places in 1996 there were officially 71 yes 71 Non-Turbo Sport Roof Automatics. The 993 Turbo S of the next year numbered 182 if memory is correct.
OK let me put it to you this way. When one says the word "Porsche" what does it conjure up? Right or wrong, it mostly makes people think of very expensive, exclusive hand built sports cars with no rival; perhaps the best sports cars in the world.

When most people hear "Toyota", they think of cheap reliable econoboxes built only to get from point A to B. They think of bland, mass-produced cars for soccer Moms.

So to most people, who are not enthusiasts, your car sounds like the sportier version of the bland mass-produced car made by the folks who make econoboxes. And to the enthusiast, your car looks like it needs to have the NA engine swapped for a TT engine.

And on another note, as a car dealer, why do you care what happens after you sell it? Just curious....
Old 12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
My girlfriend traded in a '93 Civic on a new Toyota just before her recent college graduation. My guess would be, even if it was a pristine low mileage example, it would be worth $5k at most - probably closer to 3-4k..
Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
OK let me put it to you this way. When one says the word "Porsche" what does it conjure up? Right or wrong, it mostly makes people think of very expensive, exclusive hand built sports cars with no rival; perhaps the best sports cars in the world.

When most people hear "Toyota", they think of cheap reliable econoboxes built only to get from point A to B. They think of bland, mass-produced cars for soccer Moms.

So to most people, who are not enthusiasts, your car sounds like the sportier version of the bland mass-produced car made by the folks who make econoboxes. And to the enthusiast, your car looks like it needs to have the NA engine swapped for a TT engine.

And on another note, as a car dealer, why do you care what happens after you sell it? Just curious....

I rarely do care, and never ever should, but sometimes when you see a nice one go to someone you know will destroy it the inner snob comes out and wants to save it. Yes I know I am far from normal. About a year ago we sold an absolutely in the wrapper '94 SL500 to a young woman that just didnt get it. I later found out the car had been repoed and the condition it was in made me sick. She had only put like 3200 miles on it. I know money is money and can seperate head vs heart but sometimes I get attached. Any true car guy know what I mean by having fallen for something unexpectedly....I never thought a Toyota would do anything for me...I was wrong.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

The car is a '96 Sport Roof with 65k miles, and yes...its an Automatic. Some of you may really not like this but I think of it as a modern Japanese 928 in the way that it drives. I think they are very similar actually. This coming from a life long 928 fan.
that automatic isn't helping your case either.

No. The 911 started out as an NA car, and built its reputation as a NA car. The turbos came fairly late (I believe 77) and many believe that the NA car is more true to the Porsche heritage. Some argue that the NA car is better than the turbos.

This does not exist for the supra. Its a car without much history, and only the turbo cars were considered as being important sports cars. Just like NA 3000gts don't sell for much and don't have much of a following. The big reputation of the supra is based upon the MKIV TT. The big reputation of the Porsche is built on the 911 carrera, not the turbo.

The japanese do a wonderful job at building cars. But that doesn't mean every car they make is a collectors item. Examples abound from the 90s.

NA 3000gt
NA supra
NA eclipse
NA 300zx

As to your production figures, you are using options to slim down your production number. Automatic is not desirable, and sport roof is an option.

Thats like narrowing down turbo S production based on which ones had carbon fiber inserts on the doors.

It seems like this car has more value to you than it does to almost anyone else in the marketplace. I'm sure you don't have a lot in it, so why not keep it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Actually the Supra name was first used in '77 I think, the Porsche 930 came out in Europe for model year 1975, 1976 here in the states. The vast majority of the '93-'98 cars were sport roof equipped. If this car didnt have it, It would make it easier to sell i think. Also, 1996 was the rarest year for that car as it was the year of OBD II and aparently took some time to get the cars to pass. This is also the reason that all '96 or '97 cant remember which Supra TT came only with the automatic. I am not disagreeing that it being a NA/Auto car does it no favors. The truth of the matter is people look at it, and most women cant tell 911 from a 911 Turbo, somehow they know a Supra. I guess what has blown me away most is just how many young people really dig it. I was always a Porsche snob, and still am. But any gearhead my age or younger always wants to stop me and chat me up about it. Too bad none of them have any money i suppose.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:50 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

I think www.supraforums.com is the "Rennlist" of Supra sites and probably a good place to list it.

I love the MkIV Supra. My brother has an unmolested silver 1997 turbo/targa/6 speed in terrific shape with only about 70k miles. Seems like it gets more valuable every year as more and more of them are painted pink, given 1000 hp and a Wings West bodykit.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Good to hear Brendan. Thanks. I will def check out that site. The KBB retail would blow you away, its almost same year 993 money. The Supra and the NSX I think have pretty loyal followings and hopefully premium examples will bring what they deserve. I paid a lot more for this car then any of you would think. Silly i realize, but i cant find anything close to it on ebay, and they all want a lot for wrecked cars. We shall see.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 AM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

mlk118s, you're in a Porsche forum. These guys won't/don't understand. Supraforums is the place to go, but most of them mod their cars - just like most people on this forum. My son has an '95 NA Supra and hangs out there. His car is relatively stock, but he did put a small turbo on his car. My impression is that Mk IV Supras had a small dedicated following, but "The Fast and the Furious" blew it through the roof.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 AM
mlk118s
Instructor

I agree, but Porsche enthusiasts are always going to have knowledge/experience with "sub-Porsche" cars and many had Supras and other Asian imports on the way to Porsche. I love this site and don't really post that often considering how long I have been a member but one of the things I best like on here is the knowledge of various subjects that I have picked up over the years. You don't learn things like that on FerrariChat.com of which i have also been a member. I will soon enter the world of Supraforums. Thanks again for everyones help. M
Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Great topic and funny that you should start this thread. I am thinking about selling my classic old Datsun Z car and possibly another car that I own to purchase a MkIV Supra. I have been watching prices over the past years...literally and it makes me smile that these cars are holding their prices quite strong. I will be ready by Spring (x-fingers) to pull the plug.

Sadly your Auto non turbo is the least desirable of the range...telling you something you have heard and know....but lots of folks are doing engine swaps and who cares if it does not end up in a museum or stays unmolested or a garage queen. I know LOTS of mature Supra owners who have tastefully modded their cars with well thought out suspensions, engine upgrades, brakes etc etc...basically upgrades to compliment an already near perfect platform and car. Not all these cars are bought by young moron owners who abuse them, and who have sadly given the car alot of bad press like Hulk Hogan's idiot son.

You can now buy a good condition low mileage 2JZGTE motor off a Japanese importer for $3000 on eBay and that is the how many non turbo cars are getting converted to Twin Turbos as in Japan this twin turbo straight six engine lives in various Toyota high end car platforms (2 and 4 door..Aristo...Soarer..etc etc)

BTW the 2JZGTE in the Twin Turbo Supra has been crowned as one of the best made internal combustion engines ever. Reliable, strong, well made and very powerful. I know two people who put this engine in an E30 BMW!!!

I would try www.supramania.com and supraforums and heck try eBay just for grins.

BTW I looked at a "PERFECT" red 1995 Twin Turbo with tan leather inerior 6speed car last weeked with 39K miles (2 owner) and it was for sale for $28,500. I am not sure how much you want for yours...but just a price reference.

I can talk Supras all day...one day I want to be Supraman...LOL

Good Luck...

Yasin
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

P.S., I wasn't implying that I don't like supras, because I absolutely do. I've driven quite a few TTs and they are great cars. I also really really like the RX7 of that era. A h/c ls1 in one of those is totally awesome.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
rsalicrup
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 71 Posts

Like stated before. If you want to keep the car stock and unmolested, keep it yourself. Comparing a Supra to a 911 is not fair. Most people can't tell the difference between a n/a 911 to a turbo one, same with the Supra, but some people buy 911s just for a society status perspective so they could care less whats powering it. When people look for Supras they are looking to mod the crap out of it. The Supra market is focus on that group of people. If I was in the market for a Supra and had limited funds, I would look for the n/a ones and do a swap. It is cheaper than buying a TT. There are a bunch of F&F hardcore kids out there looking for this car. I emphasis kids because those are the one that will hit you up.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Interesting comments today. As many kids as I have stroke me about the car I find it funny that the man we purchased it from was 75+ years of age. He had one of each generation Supra that had been built and said he searched for a long time to get this car. He found it in Michigan with I beleive it's orig owner. I had wondered about the book values too, last i check KBB it was right around $25,000.... YES REALLY ! How long have they been on the rise? I had no idea they had that kind of book until i was offered the car and wanted an idea. We don't typically go by KBB (nor do most lending institutions). If the values have started to creap up on them, I would be curouis to see what people are getting for their money.

Quick Reply: Who knows about '93-'98 Supras, I need some help.