993 Forum 1995-1998

introduction to my 993 rsr build

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

So why don't we ever see this car anymore. Non-Rennlister/enthusiast?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe Thatcher sold the car a little while back and is now focusing more on his wheel business
Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thatcher sold it to me.. I'm sadly stuck in London right now so not able to work on it.. the project is still ongoing and there is much to be done. I'll be sure to post a full write up of the work when it starts up again.. Since thatcher sold it to me I've largely worked on suspension setup and track focusing the car. Interior has been redone and working thru the engine options.. Juha G's thread on his conversion is of particular interest. He appears to have done a pretty fantastic job, however if i have to sacrifice the ducktail for power i'll prob find a donor TT motor and swap the engine in there into my 77 SC. yet another project. I appear to be a Frankenstein collector but thats ok with me.. matching no's doesn't really matter.. putting tire to tarmac is what i love.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JLJ11
Thatcher sold it to me.. I'm sadly stuck in London right now so not able to work on it.. the project is still ongoing and there is much to be done. I'll be sure to post a full write up of the work when it starts up again.. Since thatcher sold it to me I've largely worked on suspension setup and track focusing the car. Interior has been redone and working thru the engine options.. Juha G's thread on his conversion is of particular interest. He appears to have done a pretty fantastic job, however if i have to sacrifice the ducktail for power i'll prob find a donor TT motor and swap the engine in there into my 77 SC. yet another project. I appear to be a Frankenstein collector but thats ok with me.. matching no's doesn't really matter.. putting tire to tarmac is what i love.
awesome, I can't wait to see what you do with the car.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Ok so here are a few pics of her in NYC awaiting her next modifications..
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

badass....
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by JLJ11
That car is begging for a beefy motor. Too bad the price tag on a 9M NA motor would be so high because that would be the best option.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great move buying that car.

Hope you get to enjoy it at some point soon.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Figure i will look at Motec plus cams, unlikely to go 3.8, see if i can get to 350-370bhp which should be more than enough considering the weight of the car and in the RSR ballpark. Then a race clutch, close ratio gearbox, etc etc..

optional rambling story of the car pick up...

This car has already been an adventure.. I spoke with Thatcher on a Thursday night..agreed a price. and then booked tickets to fly out to Seattle on the Friday night. Thatcher if u haven't met him, is a total gentleman.. picked me and and buddy up from the airport, took us out on the town for drinks and let us crash at his place before driving us out to see the car the next morning.. (after cooking us breakfast!) He even filled up the car with gas! Late morning, I left 425 motorsports in Seattle who were looking after the car.. and headed south to drop the car off in Sacramento where i was shipping another car from.. It started off fun.. car sounds fantastic.. pulls well... the tachometer wasn't working so the iPhone was taped to the dash with numbers inverted to create a sort of HUD. worked decently.. Now this car is low.. very low, so i guess i shouldn't have been that surprised when the inner front right plastic wheel arch protector snagged at 110mph and got dragged into the wheel momentarily locking it before spitting it out the back of the car. To say this was a scary moment is no exaggeration. Limped to a autoshop and with the help of a jack cut out all the remaining plastic and then removed the left side too. no sign of other damage so onwards.. Lunch in portland..pushed on south. By late evening I'm in the giant redwoods north of SF... and of course a giant thunderstorm starts... pitch black giant trees temporarily illuminated by bright flashes of light.. pretty spectacular... but 9 hours in a car with the non adjusting recaro pole positions... (and I'm 6'5") things were starting to get uncomfortable.. So imagine my delight when i felt something go.. back right tire.. boom. So there i was , middle of the redwoods, rain pouring down, 1am and just to make it extra special...no cell phone reception.. After being interrogated by an Indian reservation cop.. I finally walked far enough to get a signal.. and proceeded to beg local tow trucks to come get me. The lack of interest was on the high side. Eventually, 4am a truck turns up and off to Sacramento.. think i slept thru most of that trip and after a drive to SF in a rental i was headed back to NYC.. 2 weeks later.. She shows up, shredded tire and all.. Ironically i moved to London just as Thatcher moved to NYC so we are long overdue a catch up. I'll be homeward bound fairly soon so I'm sure a few beers are on the cards.. reminds me i need to give him a shout.. A few pics from the trip...
Attached Images          
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

Drool
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Sean E Yamuni
Intermediate

What a thread Bravo ....can I get thatchers contact info I'm looking for some wheels
Awesome car
Old 10-16-2014, 03:48 PM
pbu
Intermediate

Just curious if we could get an update on this wicked project.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:16 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Great look in ride. Great job

Quick Reply: introduction to my 993 rsr build