Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle bodies and regear on the billet headed beast yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle bodies and regear on the billet headed beast yes or no?

Hi all, I bought a set of genuine RS 3.8 barrells, pistons and independent throttle bodies, injectors and ITG filter on ebay last year, they have sat at the back of garage ever since, am considering getting them fitted at last (with motec), as my gearbox needs a refresh (bit of a whine in 5th and 6th at high speed, only downside of the 9m head conversion is the effect of loads of torque and 30k track miles on a box which already had 76k on it) and I have a slight oil leak from one of the through barrel bolts, so am feeling the time is right for an engine pull.

The question is should I? Any experiences, will it add more power / torque and what about increase in noise? I am on the limit @ 100db with extra silencers for track days at castle combe.

The car is used 80% for track work and 20% road and the engine spec so far is:

9m billet heads, 9m cams, spings and valves, solid lifters, live remap, std bischoff headers, cat bypass pipes, std exhaust boxes, 3.6l and has done ~ 120kmiles, had the heads / cams / new rings fitted at about 76k miles (from memory). Currently producing somewhere around 350BHP (prob a bit lower -as has had 40K miles since they were fitted). Has had brake upgrade, suspension upgrade, lightweighting to 1280kg (as weighed on weightbridge at Brands Hatch race track) LSD fitted.

Also would you change the ratio's in the box, running a std Euro c2 box (with motosport LSD) but the wall of torque from the engine seems to make a ratio switch unecessary?

Advice please, what type of difference do you think it would make? Would you pull the trigger? Leave well alone, just the barrells and pistons, just a regear, just throttle bodies? I have had a number of offers for the barrels and pistons and also the throttle bodies so know I could make my money back easily, but am tempted, but only if it would take my engine to the next level (whatever that is?)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:56 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wish I had your problem...

Ask Colin - he is the expert in these matters.

As in many threads here, I would just suggest more details and some pics of your car be added to the thread - it sounds like a big ball of awesome.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your ITB's are going to let you run cams that are quite a bit hotter than what the Varioram system lets you run. But are hot cams compatible with RS pistons? You might have a clearance problem. There's little point fitting ITB's if you can't also upgrade the cams. I'm sure Steve Weiner or Colin would know for sure.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by '95 993
Hi all, I bought a set of genuine RS 3.8 barrells, pistons and independent throttle bodies, injectors and ITG filter on ebay last year, they have sat at the back of garage ever since, am considering getting them fitted at last (with motec), as my gearbox needs a refresh (bit of a whine in 5th and 6th at high speed, only downside of the 9m head conversion is the effect of loads of torque and 30k track miles on a box which already had 76k on it) and I have a slight oil leak from one of the through barrel bolts, so am feeling the time is right for an engine pull.

The question is should I? Any experiences, will it add more power / torque and what about increase in noise? I am on the limit @ 100db with extra silencers for track days at castle combe.

The car is used 80% for track work and 20% road and the engine spec so far is:

9m billet heads, 9m cams, spings and valves, solid lifters, live remap, std bischoff headers, cat bypass pipes, std exhaust boxes, 3.6l and has done ~ 120kmiles, had the heads / cams / new rings fitted at about 76k miles (from memory). Currently producing somewhere around 350BHP (prob a bit lower -as has had 40K miles since they were fitted). Has had brake upgrade, suspension upgrade, lightweighting to 1280kg (as weighed on weightbridge at Brands Hatch race track) LSD fitted.

Also would you change the ratio's in the box, running a std Euro c2 box (with motosport LSD) but the wall of torque from the engine seems to make a ratio switch unecessary?

Advice please, what type of difference do you think it would make? Would you pull the trigger? Leave well alone, just the barrells and pistons, just a regear, just throttle bodies? I have had a number of offers for the barrels and pistons and also the throttle bodies so know I could make my money back easily, but am tempted, but only if it would take my engine to the next level (whatever that is?)
I would, that's certainly on my to do list. But you have to do it right from the crankshaft out and it's not going to be inexpensive
Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Wink

Hi Bill, can you expand on "do it right" from the crankshaft out? Should I sell on my RS pistons and barrells and get colins? or leave the capacity @ 3.6?

Bart1 I did have a chat with colin when I first bought the bits and (providing his price was right ) would get him to do the work, have been very happy with his work on my car to date, in all ways - performance, longevity and customer service, I am sure he will be along in a moment with his technical advice (I will leave the commercials to seperate discussions with Colin) but as a non techie (ok I am a wannabe techie, but with a chemistry degree am behind the curve of you engineers and experts) I just wanted to canvass some opinions and advice to help me with my decision making (my day job is a benchmarking consultant, so kinda works for me to get all the input I can before decision making)

I will post pics later in the week.

But summary spec at moment is as follows:

Engine (as earlier in the post)

Interior - rear seat delete with RS carpet, rear wiper delete, rear seatbelts delete, Recaro SPG seats, Momo 02 wheel, 996 shifter and parking brake from Gert, carbon fibre door panels (interior) harness brace bar, 997 GT3 6 point harness drivers side. SD only stereo (light) and lightweight door only speakers (RS style).

Suspension and brakes - PSS9, TT big reds @ front, RS big red rears, RS anti roll bars, RS engine and tranny mounts, short throw shifter, GT2 rear subframe mounts, front strut brace, RS ride height and suspension set up

Other - lightweight battery, Hids, red rear turn lights, clear front and side repeaters, LSD

Wheels - Track day rubber 18" MY02's running Toyo 888 for track, OE 17" rinning SO2's for wet everyday

Body, RS front splitters, RS rear wing, RS aluminium bonnet, RS sills / rocker covers (yet to be installed), rear high level brake light
Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by '95 993
Hi Bill, can you expand on "do it right" from the crankshaft out? Should I sell on my RS pistons and barrells and get colins? or leave the capacity @ 3.6?

Not necessarily but I'd start w/ a GT3 crank and oil pump, either Ti or forged rods, Geoffrey used 993RS p/c w/ 9m heads on the above bottom w/ some excellent results. Motec w/ ITB's and cams designed for your use complete the package.

I'd be looking for a rev limit in the high 7k range and ~400hp and to still be streetable.

There are lighter pistons than the 993 102mm RSRs which would help the rev department. Unfortunately Collins site has been down for awhile, he had some great pieces there.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Now we are talking, that is just the types of ideas I am looking for, thanks Bill.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:48 PM
kb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr J -
should be in UK for a meeting later this month. Will give you a call to say hi. Cheers Gil
Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Hi Gil, would be great I have pm'd you my mobile number. John
Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a thread Geoffrey posted on the post disassembly analysis of his first engine
race engine disassembly It was a race engine but was also very streetable.

I never commented on the regearing but that is also a very desirable path to take

Quick Reply: Throttle bodies and regear on the billet headed beast yes or no?