Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: My Self-Winding Suncast Hose Reel broke. Bought a Rapid Reel & loving life!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Update: My Self-Winding Suncast Hose Reel broke. Bought a Rapid Reel & loving life!

I wrote a glowing review about this $94.99 Suncast Self Winding Hose Reel for 993 car washing (I got it for sale for $76.99) that used water to power the winding mechanism. I should have known that it was too good to be true, eventually, just 3 months later the yellow handle the turns the water pressure on to rewind the hose back in snapped off in my hand. The whole thing is plastic, an ingenious use of plastic, but cheap plastic so it was bound to break. I didn't realize it would happen so fast though. I thought I'd at least get 3 years of use out of it as no one on Rennlist said theirs broke in the time they've owned it. Here's what it looked like. I just returned it to Lowes.

I need another hose reel. It CAN'T be attached to my house. I has to sit on our back patio. I don't want to drill anything into the siding so that limits what I can get. Everything else at Lowes looked like junk, so I just ended up getting this for $49.99. The top of it is dark brown and it's kind of hideous looking compared to the svelte water powered one I just returned. Or, am I being too picky and this is just fine?
Suncast 225' Capacity Smart Trak Hose Hideaway Reel
Hose Hideaway Hose Reel with Smart Trak Hose Guide
Holds 225' of 5/8 inch hose
Easylink system ensures a watertight connection between hose reel and hose
Comes fully assembled and made from sturdy resin

Hose Length (Feet): 225.0
Reel Material: Plastic
Type of Hose Reel: Hideaway
Hose Guide: Yes
Warranty: limited
Manual: Yes

Do you have ANY recommendations of nice looking hose reels that are under $90 that are free standing, and won't break within a year or 2? I know you can't guarantee that, but if it's your experience that it lasts a while longer, that would be perfect. I live in the Northeast and use my hose reel year round, even in the winter. I'm guessing it's probably better and easier to give up and just keep the ugly Suncast one I just got, but it sure would be nice to find an attractive metal one that would last a while. It's in a high profile area, our back porch, so I want it to look half decent.

Cheers,
Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 11-24-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you bought the same brand, so I'd look for similar performance.

I hate hose reels, other than one made of an MY02 wheel attached to the side of the house, but thats not an option!. I'm sure Andreas could fab somethin' up for ya
Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Go to home depot and get a $25 manual wind model --- never break!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i love you guys !!

always more cool stuff !!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
I hate hose reels, other than one made of an MY02 wheel attached to the side of the house, but thats not an option!. I'm sure Andreas could fab somethin' up for ya

Andreas
Old 11-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

That's a beaut, Andreas. Would that one fit into my $90 or under budget?

Good point about staying with Suncast will probably yield a similar result. I just found reviews of the one I just bought on Amazon and people mention that it tips over if unwound past the 1/2 way point, and the plastic nozzles don't last that long causing frustrating leaks. I'd love to get this one from Griot's Garage but it's $189, and fairly ugly anyway. it would last a long time though, I'm sure.

Industrial Hose Reel And Cart
A Professional Water Hose And Hose Reel Cart That Makes Transporting Heavy Hoses A Walk In The Park
Rolling up a hose and carrying it around the yard is a "reel" pain. Don't underestimate the weight of a 100-foot water-filled hose! Put an end to bending over, or dragging the hose to Timbuktu! Our rugged, Industrial Hose Reel & Cart is made of die-cast aluminum and covered in super-tough, "extreme-duty" paint for years of good looks. It will never rust! The foam-filled tires are 10" diameter to easily roll over any surface and won't sink into wet, soft turf. Reeling the hose in is effortless too; even when filled with water! Includes a 5/8" high-grade "water source" connecting hose. You can store up to 100 feet of 5/8" hose on this reel, like our awesome 5/8" ID (inside diameter) Industrial 100' Water Hose. Freeze it, run over it, beat on it. This hose can take it. Compare ours to your normal "garden variety" hose and you'll see our couplings are made from solid brass and have hex fittings so you can tighten them with a wrench, vs. stamped "thin wall" couplings that disfigure just by dropping them! Our 50 foot, 3/4" ID hose flows 300% more water (26 gpm) than a 1/2" hose does. 50 foot or 100 foot lengths available and sold separately. Please allow 2 - 3 weeks for standard delivery of Industrial Hose Reel And Cart.

This one is $65 and at least looks good, but it doesn't reel it in nicely like a hose reel and doesn't hold a 75 ft hose, which is what I have...

Hose Bowl with Lid

Don't leave your hose in an untidy heap...keep it coiled and ready to use with this decorative garden hose holder.

Tired of having your garden hose in a tangle, cluttering your garden and tripping unwary feet? Then it's about time that you keep your garden hose neatly coiled and under cover in this attractive covered hose pot! Not only will your garden hose be out of the way, but it'll be so much easier to use when it's time to water your plants or wash the car.
This attractive garden hose bowl looks like stone but is crafted of lightweight fiberglass and resin, so it's easy to move anywhere. Beautifully accented with sculpted-look bands on the top and bottom, this hose holder pot stores up to 25 feet of 5/8" garden hose, and includes a lid to make your hose disappear. The Hose Bowl with Lid measures 17-1/8" in diameter x 12-1/4" tall. 16 lbs.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fab'ulous! (Nice clock too.)
Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

The repeated expansion and contraction brought on by significant high/low ranges in ambient temperature can cause stress points on outdoor-use plastic devices of any type to weaken and eventually break. This is particularly true when the daily lows are below 32 and the highs are in the 70's, a situation that occurs several weeks in a row every spring and fall in regions below the Mason-Dixon line. My strategy is to spend as little as possible on any given device like this and be happy if it lasts for more than a year...I figure that if I spend $50 on something and it lasts 52 weeks, then I've got less than $5 a week invested in the device...I spend more than $5 a week on coffee.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
That's a beaut, Andreas. Would that one fit into my $90 or under budget?
Certainly, but you'll need to supply the wheel.

Andreas
Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I was looking for the original self winding hose reel thread. Anyone?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wrote a glowing review about this $94.99 Suncast Self Winding Hose Reel for 993 car washing that used water to power the winding mechanism.
Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I was looking for the original self winding hose reel thread. Anyone?
Jason-- Steve 96C4S's "Just bought my 1st Water Powered Hose reel - pretty impressed" thread

Steve-- I'm guessing you've ruled this out, may not be weather-proof enough for your purposes...
Someone just sent me this pic, same price as the one I posted. Looks pretty interesting, and water powered as well.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

this last photo is just a bit too "california - i only have a 30' x 40' back yard" for me.

just a bit too sanitary.

my yard ends about 500 feet back of the house at the charles river ahahah - lol.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:51 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Fab'ulous! (Nice clock too.)
Shop beater.

Andreas
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curve lover
Jason-- Steve 96C4S's

Steve-- I'm guessing you've ruled this out, may not be weather-proof enough for your purposes...
Wow, you found my original thread. Cool beans. Yeah, that pic of the hose reel with the water faucet, and tools hanging on it is still a water powered device where the handle on it will surely break in a few months if it's anything like mine was.

I'm actually just leaning towards keeping the cheap $49.95 one I bought tonight as I can't imagine a solution for less than $90 that's going to work better. As tmc993 mentioned, if these things last a year or 2 I guess I'm lucky. It's just that I had a Suncast one at my old house that lasted at least 5 years and cost about $39. It was outside year round and I washed my car in the winter when it wasn't totally frozen solid.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:49 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

I'm actually just leaning towards keeping the cheap $49.95 one I bought tonight as I can't imagine a solution for less than $90 that's going to work better.
My solution can be purchased for less than $90, comes with a triple-lifetime warranty, but requires that you exert some effort to wind the hose up.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Update: My Self-Winding Suncast Hose Reel broke. Bought a Rapid Reel & loving life!