Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: My Self-Winding Suncast Hose Reel broke. Bought a Rapid Reel & loving life!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My solution can be purchased for less than $90, comes with a triple-lifetime warranty, but requires that you exert some effort to wind the hose up.

Andreas
It's a very cool solution ... but... it's wall mounted, and requires that I buy a used MY02 Wheel from somewhere. And, if I have to sell my 993 this Spring because we need the money, I'm left with a Porsche hose reel which will sadly remind me every day I use it of the car I had to sell due to the crappy economy and what it did to my job.

Thanks for the idea though. It looks really cool and is a great conversation starter when it's in place on your house. The last thing I want to do is to drill anything into my vinyl siding. Knowing my luck with tools, I'll get the holes wrong, I'll mess it up in so many ways, and I'll be left with drill hole marks in the side of my house after it falls off onto the back patio! Me + a drill + masonary drill bits + wall mounted hose reel = total disaster and an afternoon of frustration. It's times like this I wish I knew a handy guy in my neighborhood because the wall mounted hose reels look to be the most sturdy by far.

Industrial Wall Mounted Hose Reel
One Reel, Four Versatile Mounting Option
If you're still rolling up hoses stop! Get one of these and make your life easier today. This Wall Mounted Hose Reel mounts on any vertical surface, both parallel or perpendicular for left or right handed operation. Connect the 5' commercial grade 5/8" inlet hose to the water spigot, attach your hose (not included) and try not to smile the first time you use it! Its rugged, die-cast aluminum construction is protected by super-tough neutral bronze paint for years of good looks. It will never rust! Mounting hardware for masonry or stud walls included. Start enjoying neat and tidy hose storage today!

Quantity
Price

Industrial Wall Mounted Hose Reel
In Stock

$129.99
Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Steve,

I have the same self-powered hose reel as you do and after 11 months, the handle broke off, just like yours.

I spoke to a nice lady at Suncast explaining my problem and they sent me a new handle and a new rotary valve to replace the original, all on warranty. Apparently, the O-rings on the valve tend to roll over which increases the drag on the handle eventually leading to failure.

With the new valve & handle, its feels better than new as I lubed everything with silicone grease to help reduce the drag.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the company who OEMs the reels to Griots Garage

http://www.rapidreel.com/

I've had 2 of them for a few years and they both look and act like brand new. Exceptional quality and design IMHO.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Steve,

I have the same self-powered hose reel as you do and after 11 months, the handle broke off, just like yours.

I spoke to a nice lady at Suncast explaining my problem and they sent me a new handle and a new rotary valve to replace the original, all on warranty. Apparently, the O-rings on the valve tend to roll over which increases the drag on the handle eventually leading to failure.

With the new valve & handle, its feels better than new as I lubed everything with silicone grease to help reduce the drag.
I'm glad they were able to get the parts to make this work again for you. I'm not mechanical at all so I don't want to deal with fixing this thing with extra parts. I loved the way this worked, who wouldn't as you don't have to do any of the hard reeling in work, but I can't see it lasting that long with all the plastic gears on the thing. I'm moving on from this plastic technology, I think...

Originally Posted by ltc

I've had 2 of them for a few years and they both look and act like brand new. Exceptional quality and design IMHO.
Well, this is more than we wanted to spend, but I think we may have found a winner here. Thanks a lot for this link!!

Free-Standing Garden Hose Reel
A durable alternative to plastic “box-style" reels!
This model is designed for those who prefer not to drill holes for wall mounted reels...or need the frequent portability of wheeled models. It can rest comfortably on the patio, deck, or right next to bushes. A solid, non-tip base is equipped with four no-slip rubber feet for added protection and stability.
Factory Direct Price
US $139.99
Average Guest Ratings: (4.69)
151 out of 154 would recommend to a friend

The only thing it doesn't seem to have is a system that makes sure it spools up smoothly like some of the Suncast ones do, where you don't have to keep evening the hose out on the reel by hand as it's being reeled in, but it being all metal, it will last much longer. It appears to be built like a tank - like a 993. I didn't want to spend the $179 for the taller one (cart reel) that wheels out as I wanted it as low profile as possible, and cheap as possible. I'll call them next week and ask some follow up questions but it looks right. I wonder though how it doesn't tip over as you're unreeling it if it's not anchored to anything at all??? That's my biggest concern.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 11-22-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My solution can be purchased for less than $90, comes with a triple-lifetime warranty, but requires that you exert some effort to wind the hose up.

Andreas
Just attach the wheel to the car then you have a 280 hp winder!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 AM
red89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

I even bought a 4th one for our rental property. They never Break
Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red89
I even bought a 4th one for our rental property. They never Break
Do you have any issues with it being so low to the ground, having to get down on a knee for a while while you slowly reel it in, causing a bit of back ache? Also, do you miss not having the Smart Trak™ hose guide - it tracks hose neatly onto reel (like on the cheap Suncast ones)?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

http://www.reelcraftsales.com/Catalogs/29_Series_40.pdf

Spend the bucks...We have these in our aircraft hanger for over 15 years...still kickin with no leaks..
Old 11-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barney1
http://www.reelcraftsales.com/Catalogs/29_Series_40.pdf

Spend the bucks...We have these in our aircraft hanger for over 15 years...still kickin with no leaks..
Whoa, those are some serious hose reels. Are they for cold water or compressed air? It's kind of hard to tell from that web page link. Also, are they mounted on the floor or wall or do they just sit on the floor unmounted? I need one to just sit on the ground without any mounting of any kind (no screws).
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

PS - I bought the Rapid Reel you recommended today. I drove 35 miles to Frederick MD as they had them in stock and I wanted to see them and feel them before buying. I checked out the low one first, and the taller one on the 2 wheels. There was no way I was going to bend down each time, that low, just to reel in my hose with that low one so I bought the more expensive one on the wheels instead. It will be easier for my wife to use in the spring when she waters her plants as the wind up reel is more at body level.

I was up last night for a bit wondering what angle I could sell this idea of a $200 hose reel to my wife. We're really tight now due to a job change (not earning much money now) and I just came out and asked her this morning using the "will last a lifetime" angle.

She surprised me greatly by saying... "Just get it". When I got to the dealer, it turns out they assemble them in advance for you, for free. Sweet! That saved me 45 minutes of hell (I'm horrible at DIY stuff) and lots of cursing.

I washed my car in the rain today just to be able to use it. What a joy it is to have a hose reel that doesn't topple over when I pull on the hose from far away, and reels back in and out so quickly and smoothly. I freakin' love it!

I have gotten some great info on here over the years, some of it having nothing to do with my 993

Thanks again,
Steve R
Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 PM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Do you have any issues with it being so low to the ground, having to get down on a knee for a while while you slowly reel it in, causing a bit of back ache? Also, do you miss not having the Smart Trak™ hose guide - it tracks hose neatly onto reel (like on the cheap Suncast ones)?
I got the wall mounted one for my back

I guess I have to guide it myself. Better than replacing that plastic POS once a year.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
I thought that there was a thread from last spring that was pretty long... I cant find it. It was about a heavy duty self winding reel...
Old 11-25-2009, 02:09 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

heavy artillery.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Whoa, those are some serious hose reels. Are they for cold water or compressed air? It's kind of hard to tell from that web page link. Also, are they mounted on the floor or wall or do they just sit on the floor unmounted? I need one to just sit on the ground without any mounting of any kind (no screws).
They can be set up for water, or air. They can have electric driven motors or air driven motors. The mount, it just has a flat 2 bar mount that can be mounted on a wall or on the floor.. These things kick A$$...
Old 11-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barney1
They can be set up for water, or air. They can have electric driven motors or air driven motors. The mount, it just has a flat 2 bar mount that can be mounted on a wall or on the floor.. These things kick A$$...
They sounded really cool, but I ended up going with the Rapid Reel. I needed something that was freestanding.

Quick Reply: Update: My Self-Winding Suncast Hose Reel broke. Bought a Rapid Reel & loving life!