Sponsored by:

DIY - Cab top front latch motor replace

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ifarmand
Thanks for the great DYI write up. Although, the top motor cost have came down somewhat but the dealers' labor charge (they charge at least 2 hrs @ $130) have not !

Funny thing is that, after changing the top motors, the cab light still comes on as before. To turn off the cab light, I need to press the cab switch each time I turn on the ignition. This happens in open or close top position. Have also changed the switch, but the same thing happens.
Other than a faulty controller unit, I don't know what the problem might be.
Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks for your inputs.
Did the "dealer" do the install ? If so I’d be taking it straight back to them to re-adjust the micro switch positions. It's part of the "installation" and from my experience (so long as the main controller is not faulty) the dash light does not tell f

Last edited by Sean Hamilton; 01-19-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:53 AM
C2later
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet top latch motor out of sync

Driver side latch on my 95 cab blew out one tooth on the infamous brass gear. Was able to realign the gear so the missing tooth would not touch the worm gear. Installed the kind of repaired unit. It works but is terribly out of sync with the passenger side.
Does anyone by chance know the correct placement of the micro switch in relation to the cam position? For example: With motor in fully closed or open position where would the micro switch roller be positioned?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

With the motor split open; place the latch in the latch open position, the lobe of the cam should be just prior to the switch tab. Move the latch by hand to the latch closed position and the lobe should be just after the switch tab. If you haven't found it yet, there're is a tiny Allen bolt through the cam into the shaft to remove/adjust.

Hope this helps,

D.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 PM
David Schiff
Instructor

any kits to convert to manual?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 PM
David Schiff
Instructor

Default cab top motors

any one know of a manual kit for this?
Old 03-17-2015, 02:59 PM
ardes
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dplus
With the motor split open; place the latch in the latch open position, the lobe of the cam should be just prior to the switch tab. Move the latch by hand to the latch closed position and the lobe should be just after the switch tab. If you haven't found it yet, there're is a tiny Allen bolt through the cam into the shaft to remove/adjust.

Hope this helps,

D.
Had a broken tooth too and took the gear apart too fast - and did not mark the postion of the cam. If I read the comment correctly, the micro swich shall be not activated at both end-positions and only be activated during the latch traveling from open to close or vice versa - correct? Does anyone have more information about the correct position of the cam in relation to the latch?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Davis Pan
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Below is link to a great YouTube video on how to repair the latch motor. I wish I saw it before I did the repair myself, but I somehow managed to stumble through and get everything working without it.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:08 PM
Fede-993
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Good evening all!
really nice post that I’m refreshing to repost another question/issue

here below what happened
- everything always worked normal besides the top heavily falling while closing (need to fix those bolts)
- always had the impression of the motors suffering a bit but everything always worked
- top down to work on rear seat delete I try to pull it up but it comes up not simmetrically one side is lower than the other
- the top is stuck
- I force it a little bit to go down and after some rattle, weird noises/cracking the top finally goes back down
- drive back home top down and try to move it
- the top actually moves up and down as if nothing happened BUT when pulling it down the two “hooks” that should a enter the holes on the front mount are not aligned anymore meaning that both hooks fall more forward than they should (here below two pics).

what’s the issue?
could it be something related to timing?

whats the solution?

Again the top goes up and down...the latches seem to work although could not check since the top didn’t go all the way down and didn’t have time to block the sensors (as they did on the lady video ) to double check the functioning.

Hope my post is clear.
available for clarifications

Old 06-08-2020, 11:52 PM
Fede-993
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Good evening,

ive had issues with my convertible top opening and closing properly.
I closed it by hand by untightening the two main 19 lateral bolts in the side so I could bring manually the top onto the windshield (before it was closing not symmetrically).
Once there I’ve been able to lock it electronically with the button on center console properly tight.
no warning lights on on the dashboard.

after tightening back the two main bolts on the main arms I tried to open it again and if the windshield latches work perfectly I cannot say the same of the rear motor and the overall top itself.
the rear motors make the typical noise and both seem to work properly (they run) but the top won’t move down anymore.

I’m really struggling with this top at this point.
I’m struggling to understand where the issue is.

any help?

Quick Reply: DIY - Cab top front latch motor replace