Sponsored by:

Rubbing Rubber Rubbing Me The Wrong Way

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 02:37 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing Rubber Rubbing Me The Wrong Way

Folks, I need some advice as I try to decipher a problem with the front suspension on my 97 NB. The car has Monroe sports hook up, various other turbo parts, turbo sway bar rear, anti sway in front compartment, 18" twists, RS splitters and tail (all done by PO).

The problem is that when I go into a deep turn on anything but completely level ground, the tires rub. This seems to have gotten worse since I first got the car almost a year ago, or maybe I've just gotten accustomed to the car and now push more than when first it was new to me. In fact, on the passenger side, the fender is actually becoming distorted because of the contact between tire and fender. The car sits low (I think because of the turbo suspension etc but that's why I'm a newbie - I don't know for sure).

I love and would like to maintain the current look (ride height...space between top of tires and fender) but really need to figure out how to eliminate the rub and damage to the fenders while maintaining that aggressive look. It is not a case of not wanting to spend $$, but how to spend it most wisely to alleviate the problem. The car is not/has not been tracked (although a guy can dream, can't he?) Most of all, if the shocks are still good, I'd love to know what is causing this phenomenon.

I had a limited talk with my guy about this the other day. (Actually, he was the one that noticed the distortion of the fender before I had a chance to say anything). I respect that his time and attention is not free when I am not on the clock. Not that he has made me feel bad or anything; I'm just sensitive to the fact that while he is answering my questions without my car being on the rack, other cars ARE on the rack and he is extending kindness to me to stop what he is doing to answer my "fool questions."

My trusted mechanic says that one solution might be to go with smaller (narrower) tires. As a newbie, I can't imagine how that would solve the problem because when the wheel is turned during a corner maneuver (more perpendicular to the fender), I can't see how this would change the distance between the top of the tire (at whatever width) and the fender.

He said the Monroes are in fairly good condition and that another way would be to change the springs. He also told me that would probably be the most expensive solution.

As a last resort, he said some people have the fenders rolled. While I understand this in concept, I don't really know what is involved or how that would help given the limited potential degree of "flanging" that could take place (it would seem the fender could only get so far away from the tire without looking weird). Of course there is then, the issue of what it would do to the paint if the fenders were rolled.

I am asking for feedback in hopes of a solution or at the very least an explanation about how these car are set up and how to maintain them in the best running order in regards to suspension. I don't currently track the car but love to experience being on the cusp of its real potential while driving through the cityscape. It is just embarrassing to have to explain to riders, the jarring sound that accompanies any "aggressive movement. This rubber rubbing is rubbing me the wrong way and I need help!

As I have stated before, I have no problems with my ignorance being on display. Somebody school me, please!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:57 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you're running stock size wheels/tires, your first sentence calls out the problem... MONROES. If they have more than 10 miles on them, they're shot. Seriously, do yourself a favor and look into some Bilsteins (HD or PSS*) they will ride nice and transform your car. Also, if you go that route, seriously consider some H&R (purple) springs. Your car will sit quite a bit lower, but the Bilstein H&R combo is hard to beat.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You don't say what rims you are running or what size rubber. Or how low your car is. Even with the STOCK M030 suspension, there is a fair amount of render gap. Stock, the front is a coil over setup on an adjustable spring perch, so you can just turn the perch & move the spring up a bit.

If you are all stock, there is no way you are running. I am running low, under RS height & have 235 front tires & if a bump is right I'm barley rub.

Quick Reply: Rubbing Rubber Rubbing Me The Wrong Way