Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Dogs and Porsches

Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Dogs and Porsches

Ok... I know there are some dog lovers out there.... and I definitely know there are some porsche lovers over here....

So... I have been having a little discussion with Adrienne about hauling a larger (>65 pound) dog in the 911.

It may sound cruel to some... but those "things" (I think porsche calls them "rear seats") in the rear fold down nice, and can make a nice little place for our canine friends. But I have yet to take my dog in the 993. And he keeps telling me he wants to go "faster", what am i to do??

So the questions is, do you guys have any tips or tricks for taking your dog with you in the car?

Some ideas I have had :
1. make a special front footwell insert to effectively extend the front passenger seat bottom (obviously use a seat cover)

2. do a real rear seat delete - and make the base of the remaining space extend further into the rear footwell space.

3. buy a cab and call it a day. Adrienne apparently has good luck with her Targa.

4. fold down the rear seats, and put a pad there... (only problem is, my guy loves the window...so this would seem to confining)

any suggestions / opinions ?

feel free to post pics !
Old 11-12-2009, 05:33 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

"Schnitzel" as co-pilot in Audi A4 Avant (cross country trip)

ps: I am trying to find a way to legitimize the purchase of another 911 (which means selling the A4 avant).....so you see....this issue is greater than one dog !
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts

I dunno man. My 40lb Springer Spaniel is uncomfortable in the 911. Refuses to ride in the foot well - the only place where he can fit ok. By the looks of it you have an even bigger dog...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
djordan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bitch rides shotgun....
Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno, the height of the rear "platform" would worry me. It wouldn't take much of a panic stop to send your best friend flying into the dash, or worse still out the windshield. The seat backs would probably protect you and your passanger but Fido might be toast.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2 fit nice in the Cayenne....

Always wanted to take Layla in the 993 Cab but since the rear seats in Cabs don't fold down I didn't do it.

My '97 M3 Sedan is the primary dog hauler, I have a dog "hammock" in the back seat for them. Problem is I have dog hair flying all around when the windows are open.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother used to haul a German Shorthaired Pointer, an Irish Setter, and an Australian Cattle Dog, all around the country in his 1973 911T. As I recall, he just had a shelf back there, no seat.

He did regular runs between Breckenridge and Cotuit, Ma., and to the Shushwap Lakes in B.C.

Last edited by Rinty; 11-15-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 311 Likes on 138 Posts

Sheeze Alf.
That's easy.
Just buy a 993 for the doggie.
You know you can afford it.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:13 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Smaller dog, but still a happy dog!

Originally Posted by RJT
Sheeze Alf.
That's easy.
Just buy a 993 for the doggie.
Specifically, one like this... it seems to please both canine & driver!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search the 997TT thread on 6speed. A guy solved this problem-his dog was bigger than yours-- he took out the passenger seat!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Shaun Leahy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so mine is a trim 45 pounds ish and she fits in the rear no problem ...

but how do you mange the collective slobber (from the dog, not me) that leaves her charming "Alva was here" signature on windows.

I was considering a small mussle over her to prevent her snout getting within 1 inch of anything!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

My dog Moxie is a 45lbs Kelpie. She has been a car dog her whole life. She knows how to brace her self for corners.

I just put the rear seats down, & have a seat mat that she stands on. Other times, she just rides shotgun. The only real downside is you can't use your rear view mirror. Her tail & butt leave prints in the back window. That is BY FAR the worst of it, I hate cleaning the back window, as I don't fit back there!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Previous owner of my car hauled his bull dog around. Still white hairs everywhere!
No idea how he did it.

I've thought about trying to cram our 75lb lab mix in there, but he doesn't ride so well. The WRX has been reserved for dog-taxi duties now. He doesn't care what he's riding in, as long as it moves!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 526 Posts

My GSD is 67 pounds and rides in the front seat when required. I put two seat covers over the seat and she sits down. Always attach the leash to the seat belt! I have done this in the 993 and the GT3 successfully.

In a pinch when I had a passenger I put the GSD in the rear. The GT3 does not have rear seats, so she curled up in one of the two depressions in the back.

The biggest problems are hair and the possibility of scratching the door sills on entry/exit. When she was in the rear I throw a comforter over the carpet and drag one corner over the sill so she can enter.

You need to teach your dog to enter and exit under control, otherwise it is just all the fur that is a PITA.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:35 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Very cool to hear from everyone...thanks.

I looked at a 993 targa yesterday... b/c of Adrienne's suggestion - but I cant see how the targa will make it work (better than a standard coupe, or a cab).

@ Marv : My dog is trained not to jump in or out.... I can open the door... and leave him with the door open - he will not get out unless I tell him to (i trained him for safety reasons) - maybe he would get out if the car was not up to his "Standards"

@ Stealth : ...the best thing i did was training the dog to "Handle" the corners too !!... he is great with that also !...but i have to give him a warning : "Hold on"...and he just hankers down it's awesome...

ok... this might be turning into a my dog is better than your dog thread....

But, I think the way to go as I see it is utilizing the front seat / double covered..... (thanks Marv )

@ CL : i never thought about that... .thanks for the suggestion !

@ RJT : I am working on a porsche for the dog ! and I already bought the A4 Avant ONLY FOR HIM !...but I want to sell it and make more room for porsches....low lying, wide, open top kind of porsches

@ Red9 : I am going to look into that - it also crossed my mind... but...as I also tend to have women with me.... I dont think it would be cool to put her into the child rear seats, and the dog up front.... what am I saying...I never take any women in these kinds of cars with me. (especially those that say "por-SHA"

ps: @ Black, Shaun and Others : the hairs in a coupe just plain sucks !...especially the second you open the windows (doesnt matter how many or how few), it seems all the hairs go right for your face ! ugggh.... still cant get used to that.

Last edited by alpinadvl; 11-15-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dogs and Porsches