Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Dogs and Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 80 lb dog that comes in my 69 targa on a daily basis. What I did was install a sub-woofer box in the rear seat area with the seatbacks down. The box sits right on top quite perfectly, and keep both the dog happy as he has something to be able to grip with his paws, and me happy as that something is not my rear seats. I realize that this might not work for everyone, but for me it is great, and you will not believe the comments that I get when people see my very big dog tooling around with me.

Hope that this helps a bit.

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Great thread! My 83lb sheepdog rides on the folded-down rear seats on occasion. This is in a cab, so headroom isn't an issue. However, the width of the rear seats, front-to-back, is on the narrow side for her and I've had on my list to make a simple platform that extends to the front seats. Some plywood, 2x4's, and carpet covering will do the trick easily.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took Abby to the Porsche Parade this summer in Keystone. She fit fine in the folded down rear seats and loved the trip (about 100 miles each way). She weights about 70 pounds. I put a nice shipping blanket down so she wasn't right on the p-car carpet. One major problem was the amout of hair (yellow lab/black carpet) that came off the dog. I vacuumed for over an hour to get most of it out. She loves to go

Bob-
Attached Images   
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Great thread! My 83lb sheepdog rides on the folded-down rear seats on occasion. This is in a cab, so headroom isn't an issue. However, the width of the rear seats, front-to-back, is on the narrow side for her and I've had on my list to make a simple platform that extends to the front seats. Some plywood, 2x4's, and carpet covering will do the trick easily.
I have a cab too and folding down the rear seats would be a good option I'm just afraid my 80lbs German Shorthair will try to put his front paws up on the side of the car while driving.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that picture is priceless ! Happy Dog in a Porsche !
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
I think I am going for a cab idea....

either it is a cab, and he goes in the rear

or it is a coupe, and I have to build a platform to go in front of the passenger seat to extend his seating area.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 20 lb. dog sits on the front seat (covered of course). I found a cool thing online that has a seat belt hook on one end and a hook to attach to her harness for the other, so she can't jump out when the top is down and won't get thrown into the dash on a hard brake. She LOVES to ride with the top down!

I've got a 90lb. yellow lab too and he doesn't ride with me... He can't steady himself as well, has too much yellow hair and he is so heavy, his nails scratch up anything he steps on.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Toki and I in the SC heading to a club tour
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harlan,
What a cute Sheltie! I had my 20 lb. female sheltie named Belle for 14 years. She was SO smart! I do miss her often. Enjoy!
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

78 lb Greyhound.

No way he'd fit.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

65-70 lb greyhound. She fits, with room to spare.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was driving around one day in my wife's MG-B with the top down, and our Rhodesian Ridgeback lion hound was sitting in the passenger seat.

At a light, this trucker next to me says: "Your girlfriend's a dog!"

I replied: "Yeah, but she doesn't talk back."

[with apologies for the brief hi-jack]
Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adrienne
65-70 lb greyhound. She fits, with room to spare.
Im jealous. Unlike a lab, for example, I find that a 10-15 pound difference between two dogs of a breed that is largely bone and muscle translates into a significant difference in size.

Ive only seen one Grey larger than my guy; he's half a horse and required a Great Dane crate.

Will track down a picture.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, he must be huge!!! My grey has rather short legs and lots of muscle. By comparison, my previous grey was taller, but weighed 10 lbs less.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Yeah, he's kind of a freak of nature. Only raced 8 times before he was retired.

Just too big and ungainly - couldn't keep up with the smaller dogs and, according to the track assessments, he functioned more like a tank than anything else. I got a kick out of reading them when I first got him and researched his history.

They all read something along the lines of: "(Name, Number, Date, Venue): Turn 2 collision. Dogs 2 and 4 forced off track. Continued. Turn 3 collision. Dog 1 forced off track. Continued. Turn 4 Collision. Dog 5 forced off track. Continued. Finished last of remaining dogs."

I suspect his paws were also responsible for some of his undoing. The quicks in the nails are so long that its tough to keep his nails trimmed appropriately. Im guessing the trainers and handlers also had this problem with him because his two middle toes appear to be permanently deformed as a result of having been forced to bend inward to compensate for the nail length when standing... if that makes sense, visually.

He's tall, in any event. Combined with his coat and black face, its funny to watch people react to him. Those unfamiliar with the breed cross to the other side of the street to avoid passing within 10 feet of him on walks and, when a potential new friend enters the backyard, it doesnt seem to occur to him that charging at 40MPH, jumping to put his paws on your shoulders and his snout at eye level probably isnt conveying the message he had in mind.

Two pictures. Tough to judge size from these but, in the first, the other dog in the picture is a lab-mix of about 45 pounds. In the second, the railing is not a good indicator because its on a step you cant see, but his snout is in line with the average doorknob, which should give you a good idea of how tall he is.

Given his very convenient height (for him), and despite the fact that he is dumber than a bag of rocks 90% of the time, he, in a rare flash of brilliance, figured out how to twist the doorknobs with his mouth and open the door after about a week of observation.

Might have had something to do with the fact that the door from the rear porch to the kitchen was the **** in question. And, as I'm sure you can attest to, the brains of ex-racers seem to consider the kitchen as the single most important room in the entire house.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Dogs and Porsches