Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long post alert: Price jacking and dishonor. Beware of buying anything from ksjcorpus

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:46 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

The Google indicates that said Karim Jamal is a doctor in Texas.
Old 11-10-2009 | 11:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Mark.... Remember my brother.... KARMA !! Hang in there.
Thanks, Chuck.

Originally Posted by Cactus
We don't need that kind of shady dealing going on here. I just had a fellow Rennlister send me something pretty pricey and he just said pay me when you get it and are happy with it. That is the kind of people I like/want to deal with!
Yep, Ryan, this is the sort of behavior that I'm used to here.

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Mark,

You and I have 'traded' parts a few times, and those transactions have always been easy. Your posts add a lot of value here - I always learn something. In short, it's clear that you're a stand up guy.

This place works because people trust each other and we all (occasionally naively?) assume a baseline level of decency and mutual respect.

Karim - you just shat in the pool. I was interested in those Motons as well, but sure am glad I didn't waste my time engaging in any 'negotiations'.
Thanks, Matt. You've always been easy and fun to deal with. I could tell from your posts that you would be a cool guy.

Originally Posted by larpy
Lack of character on his part.
I was surprised.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I think my BS radar would've been pinging when he jacked the price from $1000 to $1750 after he'd already set the price at $1000. More red flags there than at a Chinese airport.

Sorry you got burned.
It was a decent deal at $1,750 so I thought I'd play the game and up my price. I pushed back a little on the shipping, but, in hindsight, probably would not have balked at the FedEx packaging charge if he had agreed to his advertised price of $1,000.

Originally Posted by Canyon56
It's unfortunate that some people value money above everything else, including honor and humility.

It's always a disappointment to hear this sort of thing on Rennlist, a community where people are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to do things for other members.

But I realize we're not living in Disneyland and this is just a reflection of the bigger world out there.

Bummer.
Even in Disneyland, there are a bunch of Goofy's walking around.

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Yup. RL is about trust and community. Matt, you can attest to that. (the roll bar and door panels better fit!)

You can learn a lot from reading prior posts. We get to know each other through posts over many years, and build reputations accordingly.

I transact with Rennlisters I "know" and trust. I remember negotiating on a roll bar from a non-disclosed totaled 993. Not cool. Really, not cool. A search of prior posts helped me sleuth out the deception. Trust, but verify.

Sorry for the bad experience Mark.

Matt
Yep, I tend to be a bit more wary with Rennlisters who have not not interacted with other 'Listers or PCA members but still try to trust. I was once new member and was first shown that Rennlist trust from Robin Sun when he sent me his RSR mufflers without ever having received a dime from me. That feel-good experience helped shape the way I looked at this unique and wonderful forum.

Originally Posted by csertich
That sucks Mark. Sorry you were treated this way.
chuck
Thanks, Chuck. Hope you've been feeling well.

Originally Posted by MarkD
That totally bites, Mark.
Thanks for posting the story.
Hope it helps others, Mark.

Originally Posted by e3photo
Sorry to hear it. I haven't been on the forum long, but feel like it is an extended family. I just went in on a case of Delvac with a fellow RL'r, and he shipped it and said send him a check when I got it. There are good people here, which make the bad apples look even worse.

Cheers,
Emerald
Emerald,

Extended family is how I look at Rennlist.

Originally Posted by David in LA
It may have been one thing if the seller changed his mind about selling the parts and instead wanted to keep them, but to go around shopping Mark's agreed "deal" to get a better offer from another seller iis quite a different thing. And while Mark may not have had a binding agreement on paper and no cash changed hands, I think we've become accustomed to a certain level of trust and gentlemen's agreement here....unfortunately when it comes to money that's sadly not how things always work in the real world.
Hey, David,

I know there was no written agreement, but I definitely thought I had a gentleman's agreement.

Originally Posted by trophy
I have had the pleasure of dealing with a number of rennlisters over the years, some as buyer and some as seller. I have sent parts to aid in R&D (Chris W) and will continue to do the same. I get alot from this forum and hopefully some get something from me.

Its stories like this that really **** me off, why do people do this? I really dont understand. Mark, I haven't had the pleasure of buying anything from you or selling you something but I have taken your advice and direction from a number of your posts. In my mind you are a stand up guy and really personify what a great contributor to this list is all about.

I am sure that ksjcorpus will have karma swing around and kick him in the ***, I also question the other rennlister that the deal was done with. That person, in my mind has also broken the "code" and knew that Mark had made the offer and was working a deal, to then come in and outbid is also just not right.

Mark, If i had a set of Moton's I would sell them to you for $1,000 to put the world right.

Regards,
Thanks, Stephen! I'm happy to have been of help over the years.

Originally Posted by larpy
A local Rennlister is with him in Dallas as we speak purchasing a car from this guy. Hope all goes well?!?!
Hopefully, the buyer will have had a positive experience.

Originally Posted by DocTock993
Yet again hammering home the lesson: Buy the seller, not the item.

Mark, I'm sorry as a fellow Rennlister that this happened to you. I thank you for all the knowledge and experience you bring to this forum. At least you are not out money on top of it all.

You're quite welcome, Russ. Nope, I didn't lose money.

Originally Posted by TargaTango
Mark, I am very surprised at this Rennlister's actions. I am sorry that this has happened to a good bloke like you. When I bought my apartment I agreed a price with the owner after quite a bit of negotiating. He was later offered USD45k more. But he said to the agent, I like the bloke buying my house and I gave my word. And that is how I try and conduct myself also. With all your contributions to the Board his actions are even more reprehensible. The good thing is that you actually have not lost money. He has to live with himself. There is an old Polish saying that there is nothing bad that does not turn out to be good. A good bloke like you will be rewarded. Oh, and while I am feeling calm and loving to all, my a thousand fleas infest his armpits!

All the best and thanks for all the direct and indirect help you have given me.
LOL, thanks, Chris.

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I had never heard of Karim and his 246 posts until now. He's a mercenary who just needed a place to unload his stuff. Not much of a community member in the normal sense. No big loss to us. I'm sure he feels likewise, if at all.
I hope this serves as a lesson for anyone else who is thinking of price jacking and offer shopping.

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
That sucks. He could of at least warned you that he is going to sell to someone else. But what he did is definatly not cool. Especially to a rennlister.
Nope, no warning whatsoever. If I hadn't emailed him, I daresay he would have never informed me. As it was, I had to email him twice before I got a response.

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
Sorry to hear it Mark, and yes, we've been warned. Luckily your money was still in your hands when the deal went south.

Most Rennlisters are a great group, and I've bought/sold things many times here, and never had a bad story. I think I sold a front splitter to you Mark, many years ago. That was after Mike Cap sold his bumper cover to me (and front splitters, though I didn't know they were part of the deal), and my extras were offered when you posted that you needed a replacement.

I hope for many more success stories here. For us all.
Jeff,

You did sell me a splitter! I remember our transaction, and it was smooth.

Originally Posted by Joe S.
What a tool!

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Sorry to hear. I just went through a bad deal too. Not sure if I want to expose the turkey.
Do what's comfortable for you, but I felt that not letting the board know about my experience was going to potentially perpetuate further transgressions from Karim Jamal and anyone else who wants to try and sell stuff the way he did.

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
You know, I usually have the COMPLETE OPPOSITE attitude when dealing with fellow RL's ....

If I am selling something...and (even with the first pm)...someone makes an offer that is semi-reasonable, I usually just accept it. I am not selling stuff on RL to make money... if I have something I no longer need... maybe someone else will get some value out of it.

There are better places to "make money" than simply selling to enthusiasts your used or no-longer needed parts.

(that being said.... check my sig, and let me know if you have any of the parts I am looking for !!! )

lol....but the first part of the message holds true !
Mr. Alpine Headache (aka alpine advil ),

I don't begrudge Karim for wanting to make money on something that he is selling, but, if he wanted $1,750 or $2,500 or the price du jour, he should have been upfront and, as he put it, straight about it.

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I expressed interest in the Motons as well. He started a bidding war between myself and some others. When asked if I wanted to up my offer I told him to shove it as I felt he was a scammer and did not like the way he conducted himself.

I have purched/traded tons of stuff over the years with people all accross the country. Most all were positive. This guy raised my hackles and I opted to pass because I sensed something bad.
Very interesting information. I wonder how many people he had been playing?

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
Absolutely crazy. I have enjoyed completing several transactions with fellow RL members and never had a problem. In fact, most often they went above and beyond to make things smooth and easy.

As noted above... karma... it's a bitch.
What comes around . . . is here in this thread.
Originally Posted by ironimages
That sucks, sorry to hear of the problems. That is shady and we don't need that type of people on this board. I'm sure everyone here on RL will stand behind you. Now that you aired it out, just forget it and move on, life is short.
Yeah, it's certainly not the end of the world, which is why I initially hesitated on posting my experience.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Mark,
I'm glad you took the time to recount your dealings with this character. I too have dealt with a few low-lifes on here and made sure to let others know - if for no other reason than to prevent others from meeting a similar fate.

I've probably bought & sold fifty or sixty times on Rennlist. In many cases, I had no issue sending the item immediately after a price was agreed to - and before payment was even received. There is a certain code of conduct that existed on Rennlist - hopefully this will continue into the future.

Motons are stupid anyway.

Andreas
Everything makes sense except for your last sentence.

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Bringing instances of this sort to light may cause others who would treat us in a similar fashion to have second thoughts about doing so. The reach of RENNLIST is worldwide. Then, too, it's amazing what a search engine will do to pull up "dirt" about someone.
the board has been warned.

Originally Posted by pjconner
The purchase of Karims car happened last night.

I helped the buyer a little by looking the car over, nice car. The buyer also had it PPI'ed by a respected local shop. So I am not worried about the car itself. I have no knowledge of the transaction itself.

In fact, I am meeting the buyer for coffee this morning before heads off to Denver. Unfortunately I won't see Karim to give him Mark's regards... (nor have I ever met him.)
Hope it all goes well so everyone can move on.
Originally Posted by Leander
Yep, that's what I gleaned.

I can remember buying my GT3 seats and Sabelt belts from a very nice anesthesiologist (Henry G.) who I had met at a VIR DE. We got to talking about cars and such, whereupon he told me that he had a set of leather buckets and harnesses out of his Boxster. Since he only lived half an hour away from the track, he was willing to bring the seats over to me for my inspection. I pulled the trigger but did not have access to the $2,500 or so that he wanted. What did Henry do? He let me take the seats and said I could just mail him a check. Incredibly cool of him to let a total stranger take his seats without so much as nickel towards a deposit. I guess I have an honest face/demeanor. That was trust and something that I hold dear in our little Porsche transactions, as well as day-to-day life activities.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-10-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2009 | 11:41 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

I actually bought swaybars and links from him. He quoted me a price and accurate shipping cost. I told him (via text) that I would take them at that price. Later that day, he took them to Fedex, had them package the stuff, and shipped them before I sent a check.

I'm surprised that this transaction went rotten for you. Perhaps I got lucky.
Old 11-10-2009 | 12:07 PM
Arena993
Race Car

I've probably bought & sold fifty or sixty times on Rennlist. In many cases, I had no issue sending the item immediately after a price was agreed to - and before payment was even received. There is a certain code of conduct that existed on Rennlist - hopefully this will continue into the future.

Andreas
+993 I was just sent a bunch of cab parts for shipping costs only. I was waiting on the price and the seller just said, "Here is the tracking number and the shipping costs. Send me a PayPal when you get a chance". There is a code of conduct here and it is nice to know that most follow it. Sorry for the bad deal Mark. On a side note Mark and I have done business before on expensive parts and knowing who he is the transaction went off without a hitch from both sides.

Mike
Old 11-10-2009 | 12:08 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Just to add some contrast to the discussion.... (and Mark Im not suggesting you did anything wrong.... sucks that it went down like that, you seem to be a stand up guy)

But, the flip side of being a community is looking out for one another. Not only as a seller and being honest and fair, but also as a buyer and not taking advantage of a misinformed seller (IE: selling $8,000 worth of Motons, springs, camberplates, and bars for $1k). I saw and responded to the same ad, at $1k was prepared for it being total scam or the seller not having a clue what he was selling.
Old 11-10-2009 | 12:10 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Andreas

Old 11-10-2009 | 12:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leander
Probably a proctologist, seeing as he's got acting like an ******* down to a science
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:02 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Andreas
Admirable to be sure, but I would not necessarily advocate sending items just based on trust on RL or any other place.

I don't see why a transaction b/w 2 reasonable individuals cannot be bound by some "real-world" rules. Asking to be paid in full before shipping is generally "real-world". I think the key is to be up-front when negotiating as a seller or buyer. When selling I usually ask for Paypal and tell the buyer I will ship w/in 1 business day after receiving cash (UPS or Fedex unless buyer explicitly prefers otherwise) and send them a tracking # w/in 24 of doing so. If buyer wants to pay by check, I tell them upfront that I will wait for the check to clear my bank before shipping. No obligation - if you don't agree with my terms, no harm no foul, we'll both move on. But I am very upfront about what my "terms" are.

Regarding "under-pricing", I too, have been there, and I have honored the first person who has responded. I just blame myself for not doing enough research, and reconcile myself to the fact I have picked up my share of under-priced items as a buyer.

To one of the respondents - yes, RL Charter EXPLICITLY prohibits auction format in for sale items. Proper protocol if one is not really sure about a price is to do some independent research or if that fails post a "Feeler" or "What's it worth" thread. I think in general you'll find educated opinions and not a conspiracy of low-ballers.

Finally, to Mark, yes you went through a very annoying experience, but look at the bright side, at least you didn't send any monies that you are now having to try and recover.
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:12 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Follow up to the purchase of Karim's car. I just saw it and the new owner. It is sweet!
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ironimages
Tis but a silly remark to add a bit o' levity.

Andreas
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:33 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was once new member and was first shown that Rennlist trust from Robin Sun when he sent me his RSR mufflers without ever having received a dime from me. That feel-good experience helped shape the way I looked at this unique and wonderful forum.
Absolutely right, Robin Sun set the tone and attitude for many of us on Rennlist and for the most part it has carried on. I still will ship out parts or send money knowing that the check and the parts will cross in transit.

This seller should have gone to ebay to play that game or honored the price. I think self policing of Rennlist will keep it a great place to be.

I hope the buyer of the car has a good luck with it.

Cheers!
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:36 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Default This thread doesn't surprise me in the least.....

Well just to back up everything said by the OP. I was also the victim of this very unsavory and downright dishonest tactic.
I contacted Karim immediately after he posted the 'ad' for the car. I'm local in Dallas and so this appeared to be a great opportunity to see and drive away my first Pcar. We communicated via email, then on the phone several times over a period of 3 weeks. He talked up the car considerably and it sounded just what I was looking for. I couldn't wait to see it and drive it.

Things started to get a little fishy when he started to leave messages indicating we wanted upwards of $30K for it, which was considerably more than the $25K he said he wanted to get. At this point I hadn't even seen or driven the car, so hard to make a judgement call or agree to anything, right.

Next step was the test drive and I collected it from the dealer where it was having some things done. I drove it around for a while, got a good feel for it and really liked it. I even had a couple of friends take a look who are very familiar with Porsche's and own a couple of 996's.

After the test I got back in contact with Karim to work out the details. He says he has had other interest and now wants $27,500 for it. I didn't appreciate the shady bait and switch approach especially from a fellow Rennlister. This isn't the way I would expect an enthusiast to treat another enthusiast. Be that as it may I liked the car and wanted to complete the transaction. So I agreed to pay $27,500 if he took care of the PPI. He agreed to this arrangement, so I believed we had a verbal contract. Obviously as things have turned out his word means nothing.

Things started to get more suspicious when I couldn't fix a date for the PPI. I was ready to go and had transfered the funds to purchase the car.

In hindsight its clear now he was fishing for better offers and working other deals whilst talking to me. Its clear he has no scruples and is willing to screw over anyone in order to make an extra buck. As the OP stated, Karim, you have very dubious character traits. After all the phone conversations and personal communication I had expected a lot more from you.

KSJCORPUS should be banned from the forum for this type of behavior. Certain standards need to be maintained and respected for this to remain a great place to learn, and do business.

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 11-10-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

I wonder if Mr. Ksjcorpus will grace this thread with his presence?

Andreas
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:45 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

I wonder if Mr. Ksjcorpus will grace this thread with his presence?

Andreas
+1, this is like a build up to Wrestlemania.
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:59 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

From what I understand he was born and raised in Canada and is very educated with a medical degree. I'm positive he knows the difference between right and wrong in this situation. What erks me most is the approach that was taken. It was clear that he had no intention from the outset to sell at the prices stated in his original postings.

Quick Reply: Long post alert: Price jacking and dishonor. Beware of buying anything from ksjcorpus