Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cascading End Over End Down The Slippery Slope!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Cascading End Over End Down The Slippery Slope!

This may be the most expensive 90K service ever . This post is a bit overdue actually as the work was completed back in August but I can’t for the life of me find the USB drive with all the photos and moreover, I was waiting for the final piece to be installed (two days ago) the FDM SSK/GR.

That said, it all began about a year ago when I was the lucky recipient of the dreaded CEL (SAI). The car was running as solid as ever so I bust out the black tape and go on my merry way for the next 12 months+. Well….the SMOG notice arrives as expected this past spring and so it’s decision time (a no brainer really at 92K). I go see my old friend Rob Joy @ GT Motorsport (30 year Porsche tech and brilliant fabricator) and beg him to build my *** a motor since I had since decided that doing this means doing it right since this car will be with me until I go in the ground…period. Rob is long since retired from street service and now builds custom RS replicas and such but he agreed because he knows how much I love my car and so badly wanted it perfect - and so we’re off.

Below is a list of parts that just kept growing…and growing…and growing as this is what happens “while you’re in there” right!

I will dig up and add the full deck of photos but in the meantime let me just say thanks to Rob and especially Steve Weiner. His direct contribution to this project cannot be overstated thanks again Steve. I also want to thank Ryan Calvert at RSR Autosport right here in San Diego who also directly contributed as well as Chris Walrod and the boys at FDM Motorsports – simply great service all around.

Bottom line…I could have added a 996 to the stable for what just went in to the 993… but it was worth every penny, this car is better than new and just absolutely dialed in. When it’s on song I can’t describe the feeling – I love it.

I should also note that it was astonishing (in a good way) to see the condition of the motor once apart. At 92K on the ODO Rob said he otherwise would have guessed 40K tops. Other than the obvious clogged SAI ports, it looked otherwise practically new (inside). We went all the way down (yes split the case too) and I was most anxious for his assessment on the bearings especially given it’s run from 30K – 92K exclusively on M1 0W-40 (we’ll leave oil out it for this thread right). But I’m happy to report the bearings were in perfect condition with the exception of the intermediate. God help me but I’m already saving for a short ratio gearbox and GT2 EVO uprights. Will it ever end?

Part List (all brand new factory Porsche unless otherwise not available).
Upper gasket kit, lower gasket kit, cam chains, spark plugs, spark plug wire set, new belts all around including power steering & distributor drive, oil filters, oil cooler resistors, Porsche 5900 Sealant, oil cooler temp switch, intermediate bearing set, SAI check valve, SAI Shuttle, clutch bolts, new wiring harness, clutch arm needle bearings, oil filler neck with cap/bellows, alternator top cover, alternator update cups, clutch slave cylinder, M1 0W-40, air cleaner, M1 75W-90 Gear Oil, alternator belt tensioner, break clean, valve job (outservice – Ollie’s includes bronze phosphorus valve guides), clutch pedal arm, secondary air injection pump, new steering rack, Wevo Engine Mounts w/ Blue Pillows (replaces full solid RSR units) Chris Walrod Bushings, Rennsport ECU, Euro clear signals long (Rob also filled and painted my front bumper ditching both the bumperettes and washer nozzles), paint supplies, RSR brake ducts, new stone guards, hydraulic lifters (yes replaced all of them), hydraulic chain tensioners, intake rocker shaft (only one needed replacing), used CCU (mine was acting up), FDM SSK/GR shift kit. Zero tolerance alignment and corner balance courtesy of RSR Autosport.

Again sorry for the lack of pictures. I will add them and even some video maybe this weekend. Let me just say….the Rennsport ECU transformed the car. I just can’t believe the difference. Same big big thumbs up for the Walrod bushings and the FDM SSK/GR kit (no brainers if you ask me).

I love this car!
Attached Images        
Old 10-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

That's the car I was shopping for when I was looking. Keep up the good work
Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool!

and yes you owe us some pics...

Bob-
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
... 92K exclusively on M1 0W-40 (we’ll leave oil out it for this thread right). But I’m happy to report the bearings were in perfect condition with the exception of the intermediate....

-->new wiring harness...

-->Rennsport ECU...

I love this car!
Newbie question, is the intermediate bearing more prone to wear? I gather it was just worn some? Will you stick with the M1 0W-40?

Did you replace the wiring harness because it was worn? Or just WWIT?

If you can describe the differences with the new ECU, I for one, would love to hear more about it and compare your impressions with mine (I have the Wong chip.).

OT, but those wheels are perfectly suited to your car, just great.

Congrat's and enjoy.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Newbie question, is the intermediate bearing more prone to wear? I gather it was just worn some? Will you stick with the M1 0W-40?

Did you replace the wiring harness because it was worn? Or just WWIT?

If you can describe the differences with the new ECU, I for one, would love to hear more about it and compare your impressions with mine (I have the Wong chip.).

OT, but those wheels are perfectly suited to your car, just great.

Congrat's and enjoy.
Thanks! I'm not technical enough to answer the question about the wear on the intermediate bearing but can confirm it was just worn some, not too bad. Replacement was the right call but the others were in excellent condition including the main thrust bearing which as I understand it is typically the big concern with regard to proper lubrication and the issue of which oil to use. Rob is very well connected with PCNA and is also friends with the lead tech at Pioneer centers the largest local Porsche facility. Both he and the PCNA inside contact had initially confirmed the factory recommends 5W-40 for the air cooled cars (even if unofficially) BUT they both said if the car is happy with 0W-40 to just leave it so and that's exactly what we did.

As for the Rennsport ECU, the most notable difference is driveability. The car is so much smoother in all gears expecially from low speed roll on throttle. From there it's strong all the way to redline, smile inducing everytime. The overall feeling is a sense of "awakening" with a noticable improvement in idle stability and mid range torque even if it's only a seat of the pants sensation. For perspective....I managed to reset the ECU as we had to disconnect the battery for some minor adjustments and so I was able to experience the car without the Rennsport map and it was a remarkable step back to the extent that (once re adapted) I now can't ever imagine the car without it. Steve did not promise increases in either power or torque just improved driveability and that's exactly what I got. He also cautioned that this upgrade is best suited to cars with a fresh motor and so the time was right. The best mod for me bar none to date.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! It has been quite a project... I remember your post/pics from a while back.

Looks great, love the wheels but I am a little biased.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Holy Halfshafts, brother! That's quite the overhaul. Congrats.

Andreas
Old 10-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Great looking car.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very nice. Love the white!
chuck
Old 10-24-2009, 05:28 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Nice job, how do you like the Wevo mounts, I'm looking at doing those on my C4 and why did you chose the blue bushings vs black?
Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Jordan, looks great! What a job.
Now, I think you need to update your sig.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys! Regarding the Wevo Mounts...I was already living with the full solid mounts for several years now but as would be expected they transferred a lot of noise and vibration through the chassis. The blue pillow Wevo mounts are much less harsh but are still not soft by any measure and some might find them to be a little much still. Mind you, I've also heard there's little difference between them and the blacks but if you're even a bit on the fence I'd get the blacks. I'm happy with the blues but again I'm dialing back from full solids.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:41 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Thanks guys! Regarding the Wevo Mounts...I was already living with the full solid mounts for several years now but as would be expected they transferred a lot of noise and vibration through the chassis. The blue pillow Wevo mounts are much less harsh but are still not soft by any measure and some might find them to be a little much still. Mind you, I've also heard there's little difference between them and the blacks but if you're even a bit on the fence I'd get the blacks. I'm happy with the blues but again I'm dialing back from full solids.
Thanks,

Sounds like blue is the way to go. Thanks so much, I will put them on my winter to do list.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think cascade is the right word, try full free fall...
Very cool!
--Joe
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sooooo cleeeaaaannnnnnn

Quick Reply: Cascading End Over End Down The Slippery Slope!