Dropped Tranny / Clutch looks good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Do you need to bring up Thomas, WV in this light. I don't think the Prickly One(Cactus for you novices) would appreciate the reference. He may have had an issue. Speculation and conjecture on my part.
Oh ****...

Andreas
Old 10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
"This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added."

Hmm...

Andreas

I'm still a bit travel tired... fixed it.
Though both appear to be "lubricants"
Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Hi Matt:

Congratulations on your impressive project. I look forward to seeing the pictorial later. Did you ask any of the local indies or the dealer, if they would give or sell you a few ounce of the Olista?

Anyway, I hope the cleanup cures the problem.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:07 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Nice work Matt, thanks for the pics/writeup. I'm curious to see how the fix goes too as I have the same "clutch hang on decel" symptoms.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Hi Matt:

Congratulations on your impressive project. I look forward to seeing the pictorial later. Did you ask any of the local indies or the dealer, if they would give or sell you a few ounce of the Olista?

Anyway, I hope the cleanup cures the problem.
No, I haven't asked but I might try the dealer. Apparently Olista Longtime is carried by the Castrol industrial lubricant distributors. The local distributor, a machine shop supply company, hadn't even heard of it but is checking delivery for me. I don't know how critical it is and there are a few other greases suggested in this thread. Thanks, Matt.

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Nice work Matt, thanks for the pics/writeup. I'm curious to see how the fix goes too as I have the same "clutch hang on decel" symptoms.
Since I didn't really need a new clutch I will be more than choked if the problem isn't fixed. The clutch worked fine otherwise and I've already replaced the slave but not the master. I compromised and ordered a clutch kit without the flywheel from Mark and Darin.

The tranny drop is pretty straightforward with the DIY instructions. You just need the XZN/triple square/serrated bit set to remove the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. A selection of jacks helps too. Of course you need to remove a whole bunch of items before you can drop the transmission. The starter, slave, axles, shifter, throttle cable, reverse harness, transmission mounts, air tubes, oil return line all have to come off. If I had to do it again (which I hope I don't ) I could probably get it off in a couple of hours on the lift after it was blocked up and ready to go. There isn't anything particularly difficult about it if you have a good selection of tools. While I'm waiting for parts I can scrub the tranny (no Xenit around here) and the best thing for removing Cosmoline seems to be lacquer thinner), inspect the p/s belt and change a leaky lower valve cover.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you please elaborate some on the hanging clutch on decel issue? What does this feel like? I'm wondering if this is happening to me and what caused me to not be able to downshift from 6th to 5th and then to 4th on two long, hot, high-speed hwy. trips this past weekend.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Can you please elaborate some on the hanging clutch on decel issue? What does this feel like? I'm wondering if this is happening to me and what caused me to not be able to downshift from 6th to 5th and then to 4th on two long, hot, high-speed hwy. trips this past weekend.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...gear-long.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-problem.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...put-shaft.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-of-gear.html
Old 10-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. I don't think this is my issue, as I have no problem getting out of gear, just going into gear when downshifting.

Quick Reply: Dropped Tranny / Clutch looks good?