Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped Tranny / Clutch looks good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:44 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dropped Tranny / Clutch looks good?

I dropped the tranny and pics will follow very shortly. I award a bravery medal to anyone who did this job on their back. There is a lot of parts that have to come off to drop it and many bolts are not easily accessed. I used a 4 post lift and a tall tranny jack. The engine was supported with the jacking tray and a bottle jack. Thanks to Andreas and Nsully for their DIY post.

Everything looks in mighty fine shape (70k miles) If you saw my other posts the clutch was not disengaging properly on decel. The disc, housing and flywheel all look very nice.

The RMS is nfg and leaked. I put a screw in it and used a slide hammer to yank it. Works well. I love hammers. The transmission and clutch disc splines were pretty dry with some slight surface rust. What grease was left was on the ends and hard. I can't be sure that this was the problem. I measured the disc at 8.4mm. I wonder what new/retirement thickness is.

I'm being cheap now and wondering whether I should put it back together with a new RMS, or just replace the clutch or replace the whole lot including the DMF. The face on the DMF is flat and in surprisingly nice shape. I will be p*ssed if I cut a corner and have to do it again but I don't need to spend $2k unnecessarily as I've got other projects on the go. Pics to follow!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM
matt777
Drifting

One thing is for sure - I will be checking the p/s belt as now is the time. I sure hope the starter lasts a long time because changing it out would be near impossible without lowering the tranny I would think. I did this job by myself except for pulling the transmission off. It could be done with one guy on the lift.
Attached Images            
Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 308 Posts

Great job!

I am also interested in what the experts have to say.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:44 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt,
With 70K on the car I would do the clutch now. I does look like it was treated well though... the disc is in good shape.

The thickness of the disc is not the only factor.
The DMF could go 25K more miles or start giving you trouble much sooner.
The PP could also fail sooner rather than later.
How does the T/O bearing feel?

Your hanging issue is very likely the crusty spline. Clean up with some steel wool and/or a fine wire brush then make the decision: Dry or lightly lubricated.
Lubrication attracts clutch dust... dry, well, you see what can happen even when there was a light coat of grease.

I prefer a light lubrication. IIRC, that is what Porsche says to do also... but don't quote me on that.

If you don't mind doing it again later, clean it up and reassemble.

Nice work, by the way
Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clutch looks great. Not even close to needing replacement.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Thanks Mark. The TO bearing feels good. I initially struggled with the spline theory as I've never heard of this happening before. Perhaps it is just a 993 issue. I should just bite the bullet and not have to bother splitting this thing again but....
Do the clutch kits come with the Olista grease and the centering tool? That Castrol Olista grease is impossible to find around here.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:51 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Thanks Mark. The TO bearing feels good. I initially struggled with the spline theory as I've never heard of this happening before. Perhaps it is just a 993 issue. I should just bite the bullet and not have to bother splitting this thing again but....
Do the clutch kits come with the Olista grease and the centering tool? That Castrol Olista grease is impossible to find around here.
Each part needs to be ordered separately (including the centering tool) if you are purchasing from Porsche. However, Mark can supply you with a clutch kit which includes everything you need including the tool. For the grease, any high quality high temp synthetic grease is OK. I used Mobil 1 grease on my car.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-17-2009, 05:51 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you are having fun.

Nice work Matt!

Bob-
Old 10-17-2009, 05:53 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost forgot - at a minimum, I would change both the pilot and throw out bearings. They aren't that expensive.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-17-2009, 05:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Matt,
Fantastic job! Your question is a toughy - I'd probably opt to renew everything since it's apart and your car has mileage/age on it. If you were selling the car, putting it all back together cleaned & greased would make the most fiscal sense.

Two questions:
  • Are you returning the red tool cart?
  • How soon can you ship my bravery medal?

Andreas
Old 10-17-2009, 06:15 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Joe summed it up well. Yes, comes with alignment tool.

As Joe also said, you can use a high temp disc brake grease. Doesn't take much.
If you want I could find a way to get you some Olista in a small container.
It really isn't worth buying an entire tube from Porsche unless you are planning on doing it often.

You also want to use it on the T/O fork where it contacts the bearing.

Last edited by MarkD; 10-17-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: bad typo :)
Old 10-17-2009, 06:40 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
...Two questions:
  • Are you returning the red tool cart?
  • How soon can you ship my bravery medal?

Andreas
  • The red tool cart is useless but I finally found a job for it - tranny washing station (not that kind of tranny but I suppose it would work for that too).
  • Your medal is on the way. Just wait by the mailbox.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:46 PM
matt777
Drifting

Thanks guys. I'll think things over while I polish off a bottle of wine. I'll have an order for Mark on Monday AM either way.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
If you want I could find a way to get you some Olestra in a small container.

"This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added."

Hmm...

Andreas
Old 10-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
abdominal cramping and loose stools.

Hmm...

Andreas
Do you need to bring up Thomas, WV in this light. I don't think the Prickly One(Cactus for you novices) would appreciate the reference. He may have had an issue. Speculation and conjecture on my part.

Mike

Quick Reply: Dropped Tranny / Clutch looks good?