Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

First Porsche - allocating 60k for it, what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:41 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is some sage advice before you purchase any $60K Porsche model:

1) Have about $5K in the bank (cash) for unscheduled maintenance and sorting-out of a used car
2) You should have ZERO credit card debt (in fact your only debt should be your mortgage, and that should be 0 too in a perfect scenario)
3) Is your 401K fully funded for 2009 ($16,500)? If not, do that first.
4) Kids? Are their college savings funds up to snuff?
5) Put another $5K away for your supplemental self-funded IRA
6) Spouse? Do #3 and #5 for her too

Now, I realize this is not the "fun" thing to do, but it is the "responsible" thing to do. Yes, I have been rightfully accused of being more responsible than fun. Sorry! It works for me, and no one can take my toys away.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O

1) Have about $5K in the bank (cash) for unscheduled maintenance and sorting-out of a used car
2) You should have ZERO credit card debt (in fact your only debt should be your mortgage, and that should be 0 too in a perfect scenario)
Terrific advice. Although not fun, doing all the above will put you ahead of 99% of the people out there. My reward for paying off our mortgage and funding 100% of our daughter's college tuition (by the time she was 8) was my first p-car. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy my toys at all if I knew I had unfunded/underfunded future liabilities out there.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Now, I realize this is not the "fun" thing to do, but it is the "responsible" thing to do. Yes, I have been rightfully accused of being more responsible than fun. Sorry! It works for me, and no one can take my toys away.
Wow, this list is truly un-American. No debt?!? No instant gratification? Haha!

Very responsible, well thought out and smart!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Killjoy.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and if my 2 daughter's college fund falls short I know where the money will come from
Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

haha, great advice indeed.. yes.. surely would stop me from getting the porsche, but i think i can still have some fun while being responsible, maybe not too much responsible..
1. can be done
2. i never believe in credit card debt so that's taken care of. i have 2 debts.. mortgage and the m3 payments. bought the m3 new so it's financed, but i probably won't finance the porsche, so i can keep it at 2 debts even with the porsche
3. still long way from retiring, so i think 401k is just something i put aside for a long time..
4. no kids.. no gf yet even hehe.. kinda good and bad i guess
5. can be done
6. as single as i was born!

hope above will still enable me to have fun hehe =)
Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy my C2S so I can get a Turbo.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Give us more information so we can give you better advice.

What do you want from the car? Will it be a daily driver or a weekend car? Do you plan to track it? Do you want a pristine concourse car you can look at and pamper over the weekend or do you want to drive the car near the limits and not care if you get a few rock chips or how many miles you put on it? How much do you care about depreciation? How many miles do you think you'll put on per year? Do you live near highways or twisty back roads?
this will be my weekend car. I think like most people here, I am really a small sports car person. I love the nimble, raw, small sports cars. Had a few in the past but I thought I "grew out" of it and got myself the m3. Now I am missing that small car feeling every day. M3 is a great car, the best car I've owned, but can't say the funnest car.
Been longing for a Porsche since as long as I can remember. It wasn't a ferrari, lambo, or TVR or anything.. Just for some reason, it's always been a Porsche from way beginning, so I must have one.
So I won't be driving all that much, but this will get driven twice a wk (weekends) + some sunny weekdays. This will not be a garage decoration for sure. Not sure I will track yet, but I can see me doing that maybe a few times during its life. So maybe around 5k miles a year on it?
Depreciation is non-issue. I am keeping this baby for life.

And gas mileage isn't a big issue. It's just that I found it a little surprising that it's not that good. I believe 997TT gets 19/27? I always thought FI was "friendlier" on gas than NA, isn't that why BMW and audi are also going FI?

But sounds like overwhelmingly the 993TT has been getting the most votes.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:01 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

For $60K I'd get a 964 turbo 3.6. That was really the best turbo ever made - last of the single turbo & RWD generation. Sure, you can convert a 993TT to RWD, but to drive one the way it was intended is on a completely different level. The single turbo can be a real thrill once boost kicks in. That being said, you won't be disappointed by a 993TT either
Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

The Turbo is a fantastic car and many view it as the pinnacle of the production 993s. I however, prefer NA. I like the linear power of NA vs. the peaky power of turbo cars. I live downtown in a dense city and don't get on highways much so lots of stop and go and few opportunities to let turbos spool. When I take the car to play, I do it in twisty roads and I rather have NA power for that vs. the less predictable turbos which can spool at the wrong time. As such, the AWD and heavier turbo (~3,300lbs vs ~3100) feels much more sluggish in stop and go until it spools but then there is no contest. To me, the turbos seem like an excellent high-powered cruiser and the ticket if you do lots of hwy driving but I would stick with NA if you want a more tossable and visceral car. With your budget, I would look at a turbo if that's the way you choose to go or a C2S if you choose to go NA. Best of luck with your search.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd say turbo but then I'm biased. Maintenance is somewhat more but not a lot. You'll burn through more tires. Oil changes are the same. I get around 15mpg around town if I don't get into the boost TOO often and 24-25 on the highway when I stay within shouting distance of the speed limit.

good luck
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 530 Posts

I'm in the exact same situation with about $60KUS to spend right now. Take your time and look at lots of cars...the right car will "speak" to you There have been a number of nice 20,000 mile C2S/C4S cars for sale lately in the low $40K range. That is a lot of car for the money and about $20K less than a comparable turbo!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A really really really nice 914?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skim
3. still long way from retiring, so i think 401k is just something i put aside for a long time..
The whole benefit of 401K is leveraging your age. I saw a comparison once where a 23 year old and a 30 year old put away the same amount in 401Ks. The 23 year old could retire 10 years earlier with twice the money.

So if you still have $60K to spend, I'd diversify and get a $20K '87-'89 3.2 G50 cab and a $40K 996TT. Best of both worlds, but that's me...

996 GT3 is also in the price range, but still depreciating. The 993TT is the best "investment" (OK, I said it) of the bunch.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

As a 20 year financial advisor I could not have said it beter myself!

Quick Reply: First Porsche - allocating 60k for it, what should I get?