Adieu..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr
My next door neighbor (a redhead female gynecologist--go figure) traded her 6 spd. 996 cab for an '09 S4 and loves it. She also likes to brag about her better than mine 0-60 time. I've tried to explain that she never really owned a 911 in the first place but she'll have none of it and loves that S4. It must have something going for it.
To some people the 0-60 time is all that matters. They need to wind out third gear on a cold night with the motorsound package and Fister exhaust and they might start their search for an air cooled 911.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My next door neighbor (a redhead female gynecologist--go figure) traded her 6 spd. 996 cab for an '09 S4 and loves it. She also likes to brag about her better than mine 0-60 time. I've tried to explain that she never really owned a 911 in the first place but she'll have none of it and loves that S4. It must have something going for it.
The '09 S4 had a V8. It is heavy and is a gas hog. Not my favorite and certainly no 993. The B5 platform S4 had a twin turbo 2.7L v6. The new B8 platform S4 is a supercharged 3.0L v6. I am a hugh fan of the forced induction cars. Not so hot on the v8s.

I recently drove a friends 996 and it was very different from my 993. There is a major difference between these cars

Bob-
Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cactus
To some people the 0-60 time is all that matters. They need to wind out third gear on a cold night with the motorsound package and Fister exhaust and they might start their search for an air cooled 911.
I like a car that is fast 0-60 mph too. I also like the twisties. My 993 can eat my highly modified S4 alive in the twisties, but probably not at the drag strip.

Take the practical aspect out of the equation the 993 wins.

I'll take the canyons over the DS any day of the week.

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 10-13-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 PM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The V8 is a bit of a gas hog, but it's a great DD and in the avant configuration a reasonably utilitarian ride.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
The '09 S4 had a V8. It is heavy and is a gas hog. Not my favorite and certainly no 993. The B5 platform S4 had a twin turbo 2.7L v6. The new B8 platform S4 is a supercharged 3.0L v6. I am a hugh fan of the forced induction cars. Not so hot on the v8s.

I recently drove a friends 996 and it was very different from my 993. There is a major difference between these cars

Bob-
After reading your post, it made me realize I was in error as to which car the neighbor bought and was so hot on........ the 2009 S5. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted by Cactus
Cactus, I know this is OT but I'd love to know if you think a drilled soundbox would add anything to the sound I'm now getting as a result of having already added Fister exhausts a month or so ago. I was always planning to do it before I did the mod but never got around to it. Now I'm wondering whether I should even bother. I love the Fisters.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

After reading your post, it made me realize I was in error as to which car the neighbor bought and was so hot on........ the 2009 S5. Sorry for the confusion.
No worries. The S5 is a "coupe" and also powered by the v8. I think it is a very very good looking car. Fit and finish are outstanding. Folks say it is one of the best handling current model Audis.

Still no 993.

Bob-
Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Cactus, I know this is OT but I'd love to know if you think a drilled soundbox would add anything to the sound I'm now getting as a result of having already added Fister exhausts a month or so ago. I was always planning to do it before I did the mod but never got around to it. Now I'm wondering whether I should even bother. I love the Fisters.
Yes you should do it. I'm not positive but I think it is noisier on the non VR cars though.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Uber 911

I like a car that is fast 0-60 mph too. I also like the twisties. My 993 can eat my highly modified S4 alive in the twisties, but probably not at the drag strip.

Take the practical aspect out of the equation the 993 wins.

I'll take the canyons over the DS any day of the week.

Bob-
Interesting - I took my 993 over to Wales recently, very twisty, narrow and wet roads that I know well..... Hugely underwhelmed with its performance, the back is just too loose and frankly unsafe and the main reason I sold it. I guess having had 3 Lancia Integrales the bar is set pretty high.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:19 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Uber 911
Interesting - I took my 993 over to Wales recently, very twisty, narrow and wet roads that I know well..... Hugely underwhelmed with its performance, the back is just too loose and frankly unsafe and the main reason I sold it. I guess having had 3 Lancia Integrales the bar is set pretty high.
You have some very nice roads in Wales.

Bob-
Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Uber 911

You have some very nice roads in Wales.

Bob-
There are good roads, shame its always raining! Bob, what mods have you done to your S4?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I am curious as to what suspension you had on your car, and how it was set up. I know Bob has a nicely set up car. Suspension upgrades with the proper alignment make a 993 an amazing car to drive.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Uber 911

Originally Posted by FisterD
I am curious as to what suspension you had on your car, and how it was set up. I know Bob has a nicely set up car. Suspension upgrades with the proper alignment make a 993 an amazing car to drive.
It had new Bilsteins and Cargraphic springs in 07. Not happy with the set up so Unit 11 re-set it, corner balance and ride height. Guys said it was really well set up and I agree, quantum leap forward, but as I mentioned having had 3 Integrale's they'd have romped away on the same roads ie; twisty, elevation change and wet.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For you S4 owners - I've heard a number of horror stories about reliability issues. Fact or fiction?

I'm asking because owning one someday is on my "to do" list
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Uber 911

Talking

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
For you S4 owners - I've heard a number of horror stories about reliability issues. Fact or fiction?

I'm asking because owning one someday is on my "to do" list
If your talking the 2.7 twin turbo, compete fiction as long as they're not chipped. Audi have a long history of building reliable turbo 4WD cars, mine has +100k on it .... like new.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

There are good roads, shame its always raining! Bob, what mods have you done to your S4?
I am currently driving a 2001.5 B5 Platform. 2.7 liter twin turbo with the following mods:
  • MTM chip. Takes stock hp from 250 to about 307.
  • Milteck exhaust. Cat back system. Supposed to add 15 hp.
  • Upgrade intake blow off valves (metal) and K&N Filter
  • Stasis Street Sport Suspension. Totallay adjustable. Albiet not that easy. Lowers the car about 1.5". Kinda harsh compared with the PSS10s on my 993.
  • 18" BBS CH wheels. Much lighter than stock 17s and hugh handling improvement.
  • Michelin PS2s - Best Performace tire. Period.
  • Bigger sway bars. I don't remember who's they are. This is the cheapest/ best performace upgrade for this car.

This is an awesome DD and a incredible snow mobile. Snow it up and this car will go anywhere as long as you have clearance.

I now have just about 168K miles on the clock. I bought it new in April 2001. I probably will run this car thru the winter here and upgrade to the new B8 supercharged s4 next spring

Bob-
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Adieu..