Sponsored by:

front windshield replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
msw
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 16 Posts

"Nope. I just double checked. Safelite installed Sigla glass in my 993."

wasn't doubting that...safelite uses their own glass which is cheaper (just over $800) which they claim is 'the same'...they will use sigla glass if requested but they get it from other source and charge more...range quoted was from $1100-1300...depending on source.

what did your's cost to install?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

$250 deductible.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
msw
Racer

"$250 deductible."

which is why they went with the more expensive option...insurance paid for it...especially if you said you wanted OEM.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by msw
"$250 deductible." which is why they went with the more expensive option...insurance paid for it...especially if you said you wanted OEM.
LOL, never said a word about preferences for make. Only reminded them that there was a radio antenna in the glass.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 PM
msw
Racer

'never said a word about preferences for make'

that's my point...you told them insurance is paying ($250 deductible) so they went with the more expensive glass. i suspect insurance reimbursement for oem glass is better than aftermarket glass.

call safelite...tell them you are paying and see which glass they try to sell you...
Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Actually, my insurance company (USAA) has windshield program with Safelite.

Even so, it has been my experience that private label products carry a significantly higher GP margin that national labels for a distributor.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msw
wasn't doubting that...safelite uses their own glass which is cheaper (just over $800) which they claim is 'the same'...they will use sigla glass if requested but they get it from other source and charge more...range quoted was from $1100-1300...depending on source.

what did your's cost to install?
There is only one 993 windshield made. Safelite does not manufacture a 993 windshield. Read this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=46294
Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 AM
msw
Racer

"There is only one 993 windshield made. Safelite does not manufacture a 993 windshield. Read this thread:"

read the thread...and i don't know how you conclude safelite does not manufacture a 993 windshield. Spartan posts about that but then says 'check it to make sure it says sigla' before installed. others talk about OEE (original equipment equivalent) vs. OEM...which is the line i was given after speaking with safelite on two occasions.

they have quoted me a price for 'their' glass that is roughly $800 and said OEM is somewhere between $1100-1300...which seems consistent with what was posted on the thread you suggested.

all i'm saying is if you call safelite (without insurance claim) and ask them to replace the windshield on your 993, here in SF, you will be quoted just over $800...and if you then ask what glass they use, they will say, 'their glass they manufacture' which is 'just as good/equivalent' as OEM. if you tell them you want OEM (like sigla)...the price will be closer to $1100-1300.

i posted this because Hal wrote:

"I just had mine done by Safelite. They used Sigla glass and also brought new seals...."

to call attention to specifying the glass you want (if you really care) when you speak with safelite...otherwise, you will be paying $800 for their 'OEE' glass when you 'thought' you would be getting 'sigla.'

"Actually, my insurance company (USAA) has windshield program with Safelite. Even so, it has been my experience that private label products carry a significantly higher GP margin that national labels for a distributor."

which is why the insurance is providing OEM glass like sigla instead of aftermarket 'private label' as part of their agreement with safelite. and also why if the payor is a private individual...they are willing to sell you their glass for $800 while if you want sigla, you will have to pay more.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

OK. Just get back to us after they put in their Safelite brand without Sigla etched in the windsheild.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
OK. Just get back to us after they put in their Safelite brand without Sigla etched in the windsheild.

Safelite did not have glass available for my car the last TWO windshields I had put in. I thought it was because they no longer made it.

dave
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black ice
Safelite did not have glass available for my car the last TWO windshields I had put in. dave
My point exactly.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice

Safelite did not have glass available for my car the last TWO windshields I had put in. I thought it was because they no longer made it.

dave
That is correct. When I had my windshield replaced early this year, the installer (familiar with 993 windshields) told me that the aftermarket windshields are no longer being made, even though all the insurance carriers still have that price in their systems. The prices msw mentioned are accurate (I think those prices include installation), but the cheaper glass is no longer available - My installer had to get through some red tape to get the insurance company to pay for the higher priced OEM glass that he ordered through the Porsche dealer (he even showed me the receipts).
Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap. I got a quote on new glass this spring and there was one aftermarket windshield left stock in the province. I guess I should have taken it!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Ed_M
Track Day

In SoCal, I used Safelite a couple of months ago. I told them it was not covered by insurance. The glass they brought out had the exact same markings as the old Sigla glass. Before they left, I checked the radio and the antenna was very weak. After much discussion, they agreed to come back in a couple of days and reinstall a new windshield. The second windshield also had the same sigla markings and numbers as the previous. After the second installation, the radio attenna was fine. No squeaks yet. Cost was $800+. Make sure you check your radio before and after the install. Good luck...Ed
Old 12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by ard
Yes, I searched, but I would be grateful if some of the experts on this forum could chime in, please.

My '95 993 still has the OEM Sigla glass front windshield and it is just too pitted after 15 years.

1) how many different configurations of front windshield (in terms of tint, antenna / no antenna, etc.) are the for a US-spec '95 993?

2) any recommendations for a top-quality installer in the Walnut Creek or Dublin (CA) area? I do not mind leaving the car at a shop (vs. a mobile service) if it results in better quality and no creaking. In particular, I want to ensure that
- the tint is correct
- the antenna setup is correct
- the rearview mirror is mounted perfectly
- there is no creaking

3) what is the consensus on the best replacement glass (not intending to start a flame war). I have been told that the OEM Sigla glass is "soft", meaning that it pits easily but does not crack easily, whereas "modern" glass is harder to withstand pitting, but is more prone to cracking. Myth or fact?

Many thanks in advance.
Just came across this thread and wanted to know if you ever had a new windshield installed in your 993. I am in Walnut Creek and need a new windshield in my 993. Naturally, I'd like to have this done by someone who has experience with our beloved cars.

Any contact info you can pass along for someone that does great work in the Walnut Creek area would be GREAT! Thanks!

Quick Reply: front windshield replacement questions