Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front windshield replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009 | 01:46 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Default front windshield replacement questions

Yes, I searched, but I would be grateful if some of the experts on this forum could chime in, please.

My '95 993 still has the OEM Sigla glass front windshield and it is just too pitted after 15 years.

1) how many different configurations of front windshield (in terms of tint, antenna / no antenna, etc.) are the for a US-spec '95 993?

2) any recommendations for a top-quality installer in the Walnut Creek or Dublin (CA) area? I do not mind leaving the car at a shop (vs. a mobile service) if it results in better quality and no creaking. In particular, I want to ensure that
- the tint is correct
- the antenna setup is correct
- the rearview mirror is mounted perfectly
- there is no creaking

3) what is the consensus on the best replacement glass (not intending to start a flame war). I have been told that the OEM Sigla glass is "soft", meaning that it pits easily but does not crack easily, whereas "modern" glass is harder to withstand pitting, but is more prone to cracking. Myth or fact?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2009 | 02:57 PM
Marco8
Racer

good questions, would like to know as well. anyone?
Old 10-08-2009 | 03:05 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

to the installer issues, I would add someone that takes extreme care not to scratch or otherwise muck up the paint in the windshield recess during removal which could lead to rust problems down the road
Old 10-08-2009 | 06:06 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

a couple years ago I could get any type of windshield I wanted as long as it was the Sigla glass from the factory. I got mine from Sunset in FL (shipped for about $800) and used a local installer who did it in my garage. I heard the same thing about the "soft" glass and looked for aftermarket glass, but never found any.
Old 10-08-2009 | 06:13 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had a windshield put in about 5 months ago due a pine cone falling straight down from a tree. What luck that it hit the glass and not the paint.

Called Carlsen Porsche for a recommendation and they said Triple Ace glass does their work. They're mobile. Had a Sigla windshield put in. No issues other than the windshield is slightly off to the passenger side a tiny bit. Gasket doesn't quite sit right. No squeaks or leaks.

Hope that helps,

-travis
Old 10-08-2009 | 07:35 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Sigla is not a brand. It is German for Safety Glass (Sicherheits Glas). Most likely it is from a manufacturer in France (forgot the name).

I changed my glass about 9 months ago at the OEM dealer and it was quite a story: Got the glass from Sunset in Oregon for about 700 USD shipped and the install was not to my satisfaction. The alignment of the glass is tricky and they did not get it right which is obvious from the fit of the rubber seal (it rolled into the gap). Another issue was squeaking. However, the dealership replaced the glass without any questions asked and fitted it perfectly. In addition, they installed the silicon band from the 996 in the gap and there is no squeaking at all.

Bottomline: get the glass from Sunset and make sure that the installer has experience with the 993 install i.e. correct fitment and not messing up the paint.
Old 10-08-2009 | 08:07 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Travis
Had a windshield put in about 5 months ago due a pine cone falling straight down from a tree. What luck that it hit the glass and not the paint.

Called Carlsen Porsche for a recommendation and they said Triple Ace glass does their work. They're mobile. Had a Sigla windshield put in. No issues other than the windshield is slightly off to the passenger side a tiny bit. Gasket doesn't quite sit right. No squeaks or leaks.

Hope that helps,

-travis

Thanks Travis. Can you please post the name of the installer again - I tried a yahoo search for "Triple Ace" glass around Belmont, CA and came up empty.

TIA
Old 10-08-2009 | 10:18 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Alex,

Try Jim at Jim's Auto Glass 925-381-7204 (recommended by another Rennlister). He came to my house and replaced my windshield early this year. The only glass available is through a Porsche dealer. He has experience putting the windshield on in 911s, and I have had no creaking since. PM me if you have other questions.
Old 10-09-2009 | 04:10 AM
Brad '95 C4
Racer

Hey Alex-
I had mine replaced by Action Auto Glass in Concord/Walnut Creek 925-687-9000. They are mobile and installed while car was at Haws. The install is great and no squeaks or other issues. Call me if you want to discuss.

Brad
Old 10-09-2009 | 02:59 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I too tried to avoid factory's since I heard they are soft but the installer won't do non-factory's because of fitness issue. I found a good deal on ebay for factory windshield and went for it. I turned on the wipers by accident one time when it wasn't wet and now I have a permanent arc on it. But so far it's been tight and quiet.
Old 10-09-2009 | 03:54 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Alex,

Looks like a couple of guys have some more local glass installers to you. Here's Triple Ace Glass's info:
Web: http://www.theautolog.com/shop/profile.php?s=254
Phone: (650) 444-0949
City: Redwood City

Brian and his son came out to the house to do the install. They also replaced the windshield on the BMW wagon and that came out perfect.
Old 10-09-2009 | 04:34 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

I just had mine done by Safelite. They used Sigla glass and also brought new seals. They did a great job, no squeaks, the radio works better than before, and the clarity is great. FWIW, the installer said he thought a 993 was a much easier job than a BMW E46, for example.
Old 10-10-2009 | 01:10 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...the installer said he thought a 993 was an easier job than...Hal
I have a client who is in the auto glass business, and that's what he says as well; he doesn't find 911's to be particularly difficult.

I asked him what the toughest install was. His answer: PT Cruiser.
Old 10-11-2009 | 03:05 PM
msw
Racer

anybody have any experience with something like 3M clear coat for windshield?

have had sekurit (OEM on my 97 turbo) and sigla...and within a few mos of driving on highway...sandblasted/glitter always end result...wonder if coating would protect.

recently spoke with safelite...according to the rep i spoke with, they do not use sigla or sekurit...but rather their own manufactured aftermarket glass.

quotes for safelite were close to $800...sigla ranged betwen $1100-1300.
Old 10-11-2009 | 03:13 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by msw
recently spoke with safelite...according to the rep i spoke with, they do not use sigla or sekurit...but rather their own manufactured aftermarket glass.
Nope. I just double checked. Safelite installed Sigla glass in my 993.

Quick Reply: front windshield replacement questions