Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW PROJECT :) : 993 Winter Car ! (aka a REALLY slippery (icy) slope!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
.... Personally, I dig the entire impractical nature of the project, because you know how to own crazy cool cars AND enjoy them.....

Originally Posted by curve lover
Other than that, I think everybody knows by now I'm just good at being a bad influence on 993 enthusiasts ... & posting photographs.
YES !!!

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-04-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: haha....was not happy with my initial "smiley" emoticon selection !...
Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
...I can't see a reason why you would want to do all that other stuff, because not only will it be a lot of work, it will eliminate just about any resale value, and be expensive.
I can't imagine that the resale value of a 1995 C4 with 144,000 miles would change honestly. But, one problem I have always had, is that I need to do it my way. BELIEVE me, I wish I didn't, b/c it would save me a lot of $ and time in the long run !

PS: I promise when I buy a C4S (in-blue-or-silver-and-black-or-red-interior-mileage-not-as-impt-as-maintenance-please-contact-me-offline-if-you-have-something-in-mind-i-may-like) .. I will keep it stock
Old 10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPINIONS....
- If you have ideas how to make / fabricate / source some parts :
1. Ski Rack mounting bracket (to attach to mounting points on car)
2. Ski Rack ski adapter piece (to hold the skis)

Currently looking for : HD shocks / M030 sway bars / hard shell sportback seats (recaro A8's or Porsche) / rear windshield and wiper assembly / 993 speedster (the red one) / and $$$
A gentlemen named "Q" can whip up this ski rack for ya
Old 10-04-2009, 06:24 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Hey J !

that is also one of the cars I am using in mind for this ski rack....

that gives me a "great" idea actually....

Attach a loading bar that spans across the rear of the roof (attaches to the rain gutters),
this will allow for 2 brackets to be attached on either side of the car for skis...

(just thinking out loud here.... on second thought, I do like the one-sided look.... and dont ever imagine I would be going up with more than 2 pairs of skis....)
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool "rocket launcher-like" ski rack

^^ Another "great" idea to plant in your fertile imagination...
Adapted "rocket launcher-like" ski rack : this is probably the most important part of the identity of the car. It will theoretically clip onto the rain gutter and a custom removable bracket an the side of the engine bay.
In past porsches, this was anchored to the rear engine lid... but does not work with a active rear spoiler
A gent named "Mad Max" may know a good installer:

From CP's "For Sale: Very Unique Porsche (not mine)" thread
Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

(D) DOG :
(his name is "schnitzel" )
Attached Images   

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-04-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:04 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

(E) CAR IN CURRENT FORM :

ps:
My Original Purchase Thread (wow... that was some flamed welcoming! mixed with some really good members posts! )

Better Late than never... I started getting these parts together some time ago, but got distracted with life !
Attached Images   

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-04-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Where do you live? Near the North Pole?

Thats a TON of work to do on your car, most of it unnecessary to enjoy a full winter of driving. But, sounds like you're going full speed forward with the endeavor so good luck with it.

I drive my car all winter long and haven't done a thing to it. Granted, I don't drive it in heavy snow and awful ice.

Steve R
Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DOG :
(his name is "schnitzel" )
hey, I met that pooch
Cool dog if there ever was one. Pretty sure my son would have liked to take him home.

BTW, I have a rear wiper assembly. If you want it, it's yours for nuttin'. No windshield though, sorry

Cool project!
Jager, you're crackin' me up.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, you've put a lot of thought into what will be a real transformation. I like it.

What tires will you use (interesting idea above about using 16's...) Nokian?

Realizing the need for the rocket-launcher ski mount and all, but just curious, will a standard Thule or Yakima rack fit a 993?

Regarding Element'ing the interior, Monster Mats like those that are available for VWs would be a great start (if they're available or can be retro-fitted.)
Old 10-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Cool project. I had a similar purpose C4S. Out of the four 993's I've had, that was the most fun because I didn't care about putting on mileage or getting a rock chip. It was on rails in the winter with Blizzaks on cup wheels. My $0.02:

1) If you have a high-mile car for winter/spirited summer driving, save your money and skip the respray. Driving on salted roads and driving spiritedly in the summer is the quickest way to get road rash. The best part of having a high-mile car in not-so-great-shape is not caring about how and under what conditions you drive it.

2) For suspension, I would get HDs with Euro M030s or better yet, Euro M033s and skip the sways. Set the car up at Euro sport height with RS alignment. Best compromise for your needs IMO.

3) Heated seats, heated mirrors and ski racks yes, everything else I would skip and just drive the damn thing.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
What tires will you use (interesting idea above about using 16's...) Nokian?
WR G2s are the best winter tires!

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Regarding Element'ing the interior, Monster Mats like those that are available for VWs would be a great start (if they're available or can be retro-fitted.)
Pelican sells winter rubber mats for the 993 IIRC.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wet Okole seat covers for Porsche...should do the trick:
http://www.wetokole.com/PORSCHE.html

OEM seat heaters should be easy if you swap out seats from a donor car, otherwise you could consider aftermarket
http://www.wetokole.com/Seat_Heaters.html
Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned by others, do not lower the car (pointless for a 'snow vehicle')

Since potholes are a definite possibility, I would stay with OEM Cups (again, unsprung weight reduction is NOT a priority for a car like this) for their durability....probably go with Cup 1s over Cup 2's.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Louis J.
...2) For suspension, I would get HDs with Euro M030s or better yet, Euro M033s and skip the sways. Set the car up at Euro sport height with RS alignment. Best compromise for your needs IMO.

3) Heated seats, heated mirrors and ski racks yes, everything else I would skip and just drive the damn thing.
Thanks, I am going for that set up (with the M030's)... so you would recommend the sways for the M030 / HD shock setup?

---> anyone have an idea about the heated mirror?

Quick Reply: NEW PROJECT :) : 993 Winter Car ! (aka a REALLY slippery (icy) slope!)