Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at 993's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use my car exactly the same way you do. Mostly weekend road trips with my wife. My car is bone stock with original shocks, 17 inch wheels and suv ride height. It's very comfortable for a road trip. It's as quiet at highway speed as any 996 that I tested and just as smooth.

Based on other posts on this forum, I would not go with 18 inch wheels and I would shy away from any modifications to the suspension other than maybe PSS9 or 10 and or MO33 springs. That's if the ride comfort is important.

One more thing you may want to check is leg room. Passenger leg room is limited in a 993.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:30 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

I really like those silver over black cars! Thanks for the pictures. Paul...was it you that helped me post the pictures of my '89 SA? Your 993 looks great!

As I said earlier I'm hoping to get a ride in a friends '96 993 sometime this weekend. I'm sure that is going to get the ball rolling on the search for a 993.

I have my '95 M3 up for sale and also going to sell my '08 KTM Superduke. Funds from these will go towards the 993 purchase. I'm cutting way back on my motorcycle riding due to the need for a hip replacement. Driving cars is no problem but sitting on a bike at a stop is testing my confidence with my leg being less stable. Surgery is not planned for a while as I'm not in much discomfort yet. As a life long motorcyclist it is really a let down but I decided to get another Porsche (993) as a way to enjoy the open roads.

Well I'm starting to feel like a kid on Christmas morning with the aticipation of looking for and purchasing a 993.

Regarding the CEL from the SAI. Since Indiana does not have emission checks it won't prevent me from driving a 993 with a CEL. What are others doing in States that do not require emission checks but have a CEL? Ignore the light, tape over the light, or?

David
Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David:

I must say if comfort is your goal, stick with stock ride height and 17" tires (taller sidewalls). However, if you want better handling, go with the combination of PSS10's, Euro (or lower) ride height and 18" rims. There is much discussion (and a whole thread ) on which wheels look best, personally I prefer the MY'02 look.

Now is a great time to buy. As you know, a PPI is essential.

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
Paul...was it you that helped me post the pictures of my '89 SA? Your 993 looks great!
Yup, and thanks!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:30 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul K
David:

I must say if comfort is your goal, stick with stock ride height and 17" tires (taller sidewalls). However, if you want better handling, go with the combination of PSS10's, Euro (or lower) ride height and 18" rims. There is much discussion (and a whole thread ) on which wheels look best, personally I prefer the MY'02 look.

Now is a great time to buy. As you know, a PPI is essential.

Yup, and thanks!

Cheers,

Paul.
Which begs the question: why would anyone buy a Porsche 993 for comfort?!? If you're looking for comfort, buy a Lexus.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:33 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 995 Likes on 439 Posts

Just to clarify, US and ROW (Euro) cars have the same or at the very least quite similar spring rates for suspension but the US springs are longer which gives the car its SUV look. A lower car does not mean it will ride poorly. The adjustable coilovers (PSS9, PSS10, KW V3 etc) are particularly nice as you can get the car quite low and still have a very nice ride.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:24 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add my single point of reference regarding 17's vs 18's... I went from 17" OEM Cup-II's with Mich Pilot Sport A/S (205/255) to 18" OZ with Sumi HTRZ-III's (235/285). If anything cruising long distances is easier with the new setup, as the stability is "locked in". The wheels weights are comparable, but the newer tires weigh significantly more... I actually miss the sharper turn-in of the old setup a bit for spirited driving purposes. I didn't notice any additional harshness to the ride, but it's pretty harsh as is, Bilstein HD + RoW M030 Springs/Sways.

That said, I find the car very comfortable over long distances. Not to mention it's very easy and enjoyable to drive. I guess it's all relative, it's no Lexus, but I really like the way it rides.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Thanks for the continued input. I guess I need to clarify the stock vs. modified issue from my perspective. I'm more of a purist in that I like to keep things the way the factory made it. Or at least perhaps try to bring the car to Euro settings but within factory Euro settings.

I'm not a big fan of permanant changes that can't be reversed. Now please understand this is my personal view...I have no issue with others doing more radical changes on their cars. In fact when I read about or see cars that have major but tasteful improvements I fully appreciate them.

Remember I do have an older 911 that is quite raw and I fully get "into" what it is all about. Since it is an older car and is in such exceptional condition I want to keep it all stock.

Getting back to my original though to move into a 993 I wanted to acheive a few things. First I do want a bit more civility and A/C that works. This is more for my wife so she will come along with me on our fun drives. Now that being said I know that a 993 is still a very serious sports car and certainly no Lexus and nor do I want a Lexus. Anyway I'm going to see if I can get my friend to get his 993 out sometime this weekend so I can refresh myself about these cars.

Meanwhile I started looking at ads and there certainly are lots of cars out there. Pricing looks good as well. As Paul said now is a great time to buy and certainly will be justified in future value retention of these cars. I tell people I know that buying an older Porsche can actually be quite frugal. Sure there is the expense that comes up here and there but if the car is a good one, that will be the only real expense. The cars appear to hold their value and that is what is the biggest cost of buying a new car with the depreciation.

Well thats enough for now.

David
Old 09-26-2009, 12:07 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many of us out here that are pure stock owners. To each his own as you stated. I bought my stock '95 993 from Holt Motorsports in PA back in April. He specializes in stock examples. We own a BMW 2002 Z3 3.0L roadster and go on many 'road trips' with the various clubs including some very 'spirited' driving. The Z3 handles incredibly and I was wondering if my 993 would be as good with it being older and stock plus reading all the posts on here. It makes you wonder even though a Z3 was priced half of a 993 back then. I did not want a drop off in handling. I tell you what, the 993 handles superbly with stock suspension and the new Michelins I put on. If you really race the car and need superb unreal handling then you might want to modify your future ride. It doesn't sound like you do. I don't either and my wife and I enjoy fine comfort and handling on our drives with club members or just cruising the Blue Ridge. Good luck with your search! I was pricing these cars for 2 years before buying one. Even in this economy if you want an excellent stock, documented maintenance, 'decent mileage' example you will most likely need $30k to $35k.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Rinty
Drifting

David:

I came into Porsches after "sort of" hanging up my helmet 2 years ago (rode BMW RS's for many years). I wouldn't worry about the SAI issue; just have a thorough PPI done by an expert. Nor would I worry about mods, at this point.

Get a good car, drive it for a while, and then you can decide. Mine is totally stock and I'm happy with it; others are happy with modded cars.

My wife and I have already done a number of long trips, and find the 993 very comfortable. She really likes the car and is happy that I'm off the bikes.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Most importantly: get a Cab.

tino
Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 AM
4sound
Advanced

I'd think you know this, but I thought I'd remind you....Be sure to get a PPI. I recently helped a customer find a 97 coupe.....I looked at a few Porsches that looked great at first sight, but after doing a PPI the details came out. A decent percentage of the 993's for sale that you will see will various issues.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soltino
Most importantly: get a Cab.

tino
I respectfully disagree.

The main reason I went from the '89 targa to the 993 was not the airbags/ABS/more modern technology & looks, nor the all wheel drive, but the 'wife factor'. My '89 targa was a great car, but the combination of wind noise & insufficient A/C became a wife factor. So I went to a 993 coupe. I'm happy, wife is happy. I guarantee that if you get a 993 cab, you will lose some of the wife factor, because it'll be noisier than a coupe and your wife won't be happy. Sure, cabs have their place, but I think you'll find that, especially at freeway speeds, the coupe is the way to go.

The only real way to know for sure is to test drive both. With your wife present.

Good luck!

Paul.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul K
I respectfully disagree.

The main reason I went from the '89 targa to the 993 was not the airbags/ABS/more modern technology & looks, nor the all wheel drive, but the 'wife factor'. My '89 targa was a great car, but the combination of wind noise & insufficient A/C became a wife factor. So I went to a 993 coupe. I'm happy, wife is happy. I guarantee that if you get a 993 cab, you will lose some of the wife factor, because it'll be noisier than a coupe and your wife won't be happy. Sure, cabs have their place, but I think you'll find that, especially at freeway speeds, the coupe is the way to go.

The only real way to know for sure is to test drive both. With your wife present.

Good luck!

Paul.
Paul I agree with you. Besides I'm not a cab guy. Don't really care for soft tops. Still hoping to drive my friends 993 coupe today but the weather is iffy. Mean while I've been looking around on the Internet and golly there are lots of cars for sale. Although it seems that most are located quite a distance from me. I live in southwest Indiana near Vincennes. So if anyone has a line on a '95 or '96 993 coupe C2 within say 150-200 miles drop me a line. I also would consider Chicago area as I have family there.

David
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Rinty
Drifting

On the subject of noise, is there noticeably less road noise in the 993, as compared to the earlier 911's, due to the multi-link rear suspension being "isolated" from the body?

Quick Reply: Looking at 993's