Looking at 993's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 993's

Hi All,

I currently have a '89 3.2 Carrera. It was my first Porsche and I've had a blast driving and caring for it the past three years. It is in exceptional condition and I'd like to keep it as I move into a 993.

Reason for getting a 993 is that my wife thinks the 3.2 is a bit loud and raw. Of course that's why I like it. However I've driven some 993's and for longer trips and with my wife it looks to be the way to go. Besides I want to stay with an air-cooled car.

Started looking at all of the ebay,cars.com,autotrader and PCA listings. Lots of 993's out there. I've narrowed down my saerch to coupes with manual trans. I've noticed that there lots of cars with gray cabins. Not sure I want that color. Prefer black or tan as second choice.

Prefer a silver or gray car (I know boring) but will consider red or white. I'm trying to get a handle on the SAI issue but still confused to how serious it is. I do know that the '95's don't have the CEL with that as the later cars do.

I'm seeing pricing in the low to mid $30's. Is this in the ball park for a really nice car?

Anyway...any help or advise would be most appreciated! I know I need to start reading the postings here at 993 to further my knowledge of all things 993.

David
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid-30s is pretty high in this market. There are some surprisingly good cars out there for $30k (or have been). Having a 993 and a 3.2 will be a beautiful combination. Do you track the 3.2? Will the 993 be a daily driver? Do you want a coupe?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Bart,

That's good news price wise! So you are saying that it possible to get a very nice car for $30,000 +/-? You have my attention now. Yes I want a coupe and I forgot to mention a C2. Not interested in a C4.

I don't track my 3.2 nor will I track the 993. Neither will be daily drivers. Just after work and weekend toys. I'm blessed with great roads throughout my area. Yeah...my thought as well, a 3.2 and a 993 will look great in the garage!

David
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
bart1
Race Car

Not only good looking, but those are kinda two peaks of Porsche development, IMO. I would love to have a 993 DD and 3.2 track/weekend toy.

Examples:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...very-cool.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...er-manual.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...eed-coupe.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...sale-mods.html

Last edited by bart1; 09-25-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: linx, man
Old 09-25-2009, 01:33 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 433 Posts

As Bart has stated, your budget should get you a very nice, well sorted 993. `Look around there are lots available. Decide what upgrades, suspension being number 1, you`d like and see if you can find a car with the work already done.
As to the SAI ìssue, ALL 993s have it but only the OBDII equipped, 96-98 cars will trigger the CEL as a result. You can avoid this by getting a 95 but you don`t get Varioram. I`ve got both a 95 and a 97 and although the later car does feel stronger in the low to mid range, it`s not a massive difference and one car won`t pull away from the other side by side. Late build 95s (March 95 onwards roughly) even have the later style window mounted third brake light as well as a couple other things the 96-98s have.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Thanks for the info on the late '95's having the window brake light. I do like that look better. Also glad that the Varioram is not that much of a difference. However it sure looks pretty! But my though is to go with a '95 to avoid any future SAI/CEL issues. Kind of a bummer though as it eliminates a lot of cars.

I'd rather have a stock unmodified car than one with mods. Now that's not to say I would not consider a car with tasteful mods but my preference is stock.

I'm hoping to go out this weekend in my friends '96 993 Coupe. It will be nice to refresh my memory of these cars.

David
Old 09-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Silver Anniversary '89 coupe was my first 911 too! Lovely car. Still miss it. Got any pics to post, just for the hell of it?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

There are a bunch of them posted back when I bought the car. A fellow member posted them for me.

But I can't remember if it was here at Rennlist or on Pelican. Let me dig around and see if I can find them.

David
Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM
bart1
Race Car

I don't think you want stock suspension. At least the shocks, they are crap.

I think the SAI thing gets blown out of proportion. They can be cleaned or the entire system removed. Mid-range power from the Vram would be nice. Either way, you should buy more on condition (records, oil usage, PPI, recent MT) than worrying about that detail.

Bookmark these sites: www.p-car.com www.pcarworkshop.com

Also download the PET from www.pelican-parts.com

As far as the basket handle, one could always have a 95 and, oh I don't know, delete the basket handle, emblem and paint the engine grill:
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David:

You will love the 993. Make sure you get new shocks, lower the car and put MY'02 rims on it. Glad to hear you're keeping the SA!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

funny, when I was looking, it seemed like all the coupes I looked at were black. I almost jumped at a lipstick red interior one, but it didn't pass PPI. I wound up with a black interior.
for $30K, you should find a really nice example in today's market, and I have even seen some C4Ss in the mid 30s range. I I was buying today, I would have gone for a C4S, but when I was looking they were in the mid 40s.

None of the 993s are immune from the SAI clogging problem, just the 95's don't throw a CEL, so you can still pass smog, but the passages can still get clogged.

There are options to a full top end, including the bass string roto rooter, which I just did. I wouldn't let the SAI CEL issue prevent you from getting a 993 if that is what you want.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Stick with a silver car with black interior. You'll be most happy with that color combo. Don't accept less than the precise color combo you want. I waited 4 months for one with high enough miles to get it for cheap (at the time). I'm so glad I got exactly the color I wanted. I never would have taken a car with grey interior because they're harder to keep clean than my black interior. Pollen and dirt are hidden easiest on silver cars, too.

Good luck. I had an 88 for 5 years and love it like you love yours. I never missed it though after I got my 993. Not even 1 time did I miss it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Stick with a silver car with black interior. You'll be most happy with that color combo.
+1. Here's mine...

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to consider with resale, when the dollar does poorly against the Euro and the Pound (and it will get worse very soon), a great deal of 993's get purchased here and sent overseas. Both the Germans and the Brits specifically look for the Varioram cars.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Another vote for silver and black interior:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Looking at 993's