Sponsored by:

Interesting technology - Electric Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting technology - Electric Supercharger

From PistonHeads
It's safe to say that we don't particularly like green motoring on PH. Hybrids, super-frugal diesels and electric cars are not generally a PH favourite. But there's a silver lining to every cloud - even a green one. For example: a company called Controlled Power Technologies (CPT) has just revealed an electric supercharger.

The aim of this device is to minimise emissions and maximise fuel efficiency without detriment to a car's performance. The aim, apparently, is to allow manufacturers to dramatically reduce the cubic capacity of their engines, but we reckon an electrical supercharger also has great performance potential.

For a start, the fact that the CPT supercharger is not linked to engine speed means that the extra shot of power can be delivered when it is most needed. Better still, 90 per cent of the blower's torque is available within a second.

Remaining article here... http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20703

Supplier specification http://www.cpowert.com/products/vtes.htm
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of kids hooking up a vacuum cleaner motor to their mom's station wagon intake back in the day... poor man's forced induction.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone was doing this commercially back in about 96 with brushless motors. Seemed like a good idea. Wonder why it didn't catch on.

dave
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you see it draws over 300amps when running? WOW!

I would love to see a compressor wheel chart, to see what the flow is through out the range.

You would have to tune the car to the charger, get a bigger alt & run some heavy duty wires. My guess is the power added would be far less then a real turbo/SC setup
Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Do a search on E-Ram here. There were a lot of threads (controversial) about the device which seemed to be a 12Volt leaf blower which adds a bit of boost. A 300 amp draw suggest a 3.6 KW blower (aroound 5 HP) which would certainly provide a nice boost.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At my work we have a 5hp, 220v compressor motor hooked up to a turbocharger off of a semi-truck. That thing blows a LOT of air and screams like a banshee!
I don't see why this wouldn't work on a car, it would just need the right programming. Spool up time might be an issue with an aggressive cam. Ours take a few seconds to get going... but it's huge.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I don't see why this wouldn't work on a car, it would just need the right programming. Spool up time might be an issue with an aggressive cam. Ours take a few seconds to get going... but it's huge.
It's electric, the cam & spool time have nothing to due with the engine, it's all the electric motor.

Yes, it would work, but you would need to do a lot of work to get it working properly, & for the same investment, my guess is get a proper kit, install & go.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
At my work we have a 5hp, 220v compressor motor hooked up to a turbocharger off of a semi-truck. That thing blows a LOT of air and screams like a banshee!
ok I gotta ask... where the heck do you work? i what is its function?

inquiring minds want to know
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Marco8
Racer

One word...Turbonator!!!! (electric turbocharging)

20 More HP for $90, SWEET.....

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Tor...Charger/17725/

Before anyone flames me, this is meant to be a joke
Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

When I said spool up time I was referring to the electric supercharger being able "spool up" with increases in revs. The supercharger would have to be as "snappy" as your engine since it is not physically connected. Lag times could be worse than with a turbo unless it has enough power.
Our "high flow tester" looks like an enormous leaf blower and is used to test the relative flow ratings of catalytic converters for diesel trucks. I will try and get a picture of it next week.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Since it's electric and not dependent on engine RPM to create boost, you could have the vanes spinning at max RPM all the time, have a diverter to route the boost away from the intake at closed throttle and then as the throttle is opened, the diverter would close, thus routing increasing amounts of boost to the intake circuit as more power is needed. I would say that the advances we've seen in microcircuitry over the last 10 years would make it more possible (But not simple) to make such a system work whereas 10-15 years ago it would not have been possible to efficiently develop such a system. As stated in the article, such a system could really be a "boost" for smaller engines.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are the specs from the manufacturers web site:

Specification Summary
  • Maximum Pressure Ratio 1.45
  • Maximum Speed 70,000rpm
  • Time to Maximum Speed <350ms
  • Peak Shaft Power 1.8kW
  • Current Draw - Idle 1.5 Amps
  • Current Draw - Acceleration 350 Amps
  • Current Draw - Steady State 220 Amps
Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Supercharging pretty much by definition has some parasitic draw. I'd be curious to know how the use of an electric motor, which is ultimately powered off the alternator, compares to the power draw of a conventional belt driven Supercharger. I've go to think the direct drive (belt driven) is more efficent.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Supercharging pretty much by definition has some parasitic draw. I'd be curious to know how the use of an electric motor, which is ultimately powered off the alternator, compares to the power draw of a conventional belt driven Supercharger. I've go to think the direct drive (belt driven) is more efficent.
its late and Im just pondering this, so I could be way off base but, lets say maybe a large capacitor or some sort of rechargable battery is used to feed the supercharger. This would then allow the alternator to supply power to the supercharger's capacitor when the car is decellerating and the supercharger isn't drawing power, maybe that would make it more efficient than a normal supercharger?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:40 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

That's a possibility I hadn't considered. I guess that's what hybrids basically do. This could get pretty complex pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Interesting technology - Electric Supercharger