Sponsored by:

Cab Top Manual Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cab Top Manual Lock

Can someone please explain to me so that I can relay to my wife how to manually lock the convertible top down (raised position).. It is in the manual mode now stowed with the boot over it. She wants to raise it and leave it be until I return in Dec. Thanks a bunch.

Tilden
Old 09-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does she have the owner's manual? It's in there.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
jtilden
Racer

she has the manual...it would be easier (on me and my ears) to just walk her through it...trust me
Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by jtilden
she has the manual...it would be easier (on me and my ears) to just walk her through it...trust me
Ah yes, I can understand that. I'll try to get my manual in hand ASAP as I haven't had to do it in a little while and wouldn't want to give you/her wrong advice.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if it will lock down w/ that bent part on the side. If it will though, if all she did was loosen the bolts on the sides of the car, the motors to lock it down on the header should still work. Just pull the top up, rest it on the top of the windshield and then push the Up button you'd push to raise the top. you may have to pull down slightly on the top so it senses it's at the windshield, but the motors should lock it down. That's how I operated mine when it was in manual mode.

That said, if that side bar is bent, I suspect it won't sit level across the front, and therefore won't lock down.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
jtilden
Racer

Thanks....the side bar is removed at this time...if it looks ok without it being installed until the replacement arrives then she will be fine...if not then back in the lowered position it will go
Old 09-18-2009, 04:19 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtilden
Thanks....the side bar is removed at this time...if it looks ok without it being installed until the replacement arrives then she will be fine...if not then back in the lowered position it will go
It may just work then... I would try the auto method and see if it latches down.

Just have her gently pull the top back up... rest it on the top of the windshield, make sure the parking brake is set and push the top up button. I believe the motors there will sense it and lock it down.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Just in case the motors won't work here's the procedure:

There are 2 hole/slots in the cab top frame, just above and on either side of the rear view mirror. You need a screwdriver (I THINK it's a phillips), the screwdriver would go in at a angle (the slots are angled) but it can be tough to get the screwdriver in the screw head, it takes feel. You will turn the screwdriver and you will see the arm/latch rotate. Unfortunately it takes A LOT of turns of the screwdriver to get it to fully close the latch. You need to do this on both slots in the top. I would recommend doing one side a little bit then switching to the other side so it latches evenly.

I'm going to PM you my cell phone number, if you or she have a problem feel free to give it to her, I'll be happy to walk her through the process.

Edit: you have PM
Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
jtilden
Racer

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Just in case the motors won't work here's the procedure:

There are 2 hole/slots in the cab top frame, just above and on either side of the rear view mirror. You need a screwdriver (I THINK it's a phillips), the screwdriver would go in at a angle (the slots are angled) but it can be tough to get the screwdriver in the screw head, it takes feel. You will turn the screwdriver and you will see the arm/latch rotate. Unfortunately it takes A LOT of turns of the screwdriver to get it to fully close the latch. You need to do this on both slots in the top. I would recommend doing one side a little bit then switching to the other side so it latches evenly.

I'm going to PM you my cell phone number, if you or she have a problem feel free to give it to her, I'll be happy to walk her through the process.

Edit: you have PM
Thanks!...you all ROCK!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

If the car is in the garage and covered, I would just leave the top down and put a car cover on top. You really don't want to mess with trying to lock it up if the top is not aligned. Unless your wife is very mechanically inclined I would just wait.

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:30 AM
jtilden
Racer

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
It may just work then... I would try the auto method and see if it latches down.

Just have her gently pull the top back up... rest it on the top of the windshield, make sure the parking brake is set and push the top up button. I believe the motors there will sense it and lock it down.
UPDATE: my wife raised the top and placed it on top of the windshield. She then pushed the button in the up position but said the latch did not engage. She could hear the motors running, I am assuming these are the motors that control the cables. What would cause the latches not to engage? The top sits on top of the windshield perfectly all the way across, she said it does not seem out of alignment. She even had my daughter and her friend apply light pressure evenly across the top while she pushed the up button...motors ran but latches did not catch. What would cause the latches not to engage with the top placed on the windshield? She is sure she can lock it down using the manual method, i am asking this question for my understanding of what is going on or preventing the latches from catching. Thanks

P.S. Are the motor, cables, and latch synced to perform their duties together? meaning, should I have her hold the up button until the motor "tells" the latches it has gotten to it's limit and can now engage? (remember the top is in manual mode so the bolts that secure the frame to the motor are loose). Are there some fuses that could have possibly blown? Or is it a sensor problem (the motors are not sensing that the top is in the raised position and need to be locked?) I am also assuming that i am working with two motors: one controls the cables, which is the bolts she loosened to put the top in manual mode, and the other two are the motors that control the latches in the convertible top
Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure what would keep it from locking it down. If there is a link between the two that tell it when the top is moved into position, I didn't know about it.

At this point, if it sits level across the windshield frame, latch it down manually.

That or listen to David above... I'm not following what part is broken, so I'm not sure if it will be solid enough to drive at any speed even latched down. If it's loose, the top could flap, causing further damage, at least to the fabric.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Is she pushing the rocker switch correctly (forward side of switch)? If the motors are turning it should latch in 5-10 seconds and then shut off automatically.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Not positive but believe the 2 microswitches attached to the rollers in the top front frame should tell the controller to stop using the rear top motors and start activating the top latch motors. (not 100% sure on this though). If those roller microswitches are not pressed the latch motors won't work.

If she has a couple of people pushing down on the front frame it sounds more like she's pushing the switch the wrong way. You would only want to push the switch for a couple of quick seconds, if the latch motors aren't functioning don't keep pushing the switch, you may be screwing up the top motors/cables.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 PM
jtilden
Racer

UPDATE: My brother in law made it down and we have the bracket...I just want to stow the top and leave it be until i return...with the top resting on the windshield I am thinking the only thing they have to do is tighten the nuts she loosened and hit the up button to stow the top electrically...the top is even all the way across with no apparent damage to any other pieces. before she tightens down the bolts and hits the up switch is there anything else she has to do to prepare the micro switches to engage? I am assuming with the top in the fully upright position the cables are already maxed out as far as they need to go. Is there anyway they can mess this up by just tightening the bolts behind the speakers and hitting the up button? Thanks

I really appreciate all the help...it sucks being so far away and feeling powerless when it comes to taking care if issues like this

Quick Reply: Cab Top Manual Lock