Sponsored by:

Cab Top Manual Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the bolts she loosened will do anything to help it lock down to the windshield. If, with it resting on the top of the windshield, pressing the top UP button, it doesn't lock down, I think she should use the manual method to lock it to the windshield too.

when I had my cab top in manual mode, I had the bolts in the rear loose, and the latch down motors worked fine.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:46 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that blows my theory out the window...is it possible that the fuses to the micro switches blew when the bracket initially bent? it's no biggie if so, they can lock it manually until i come home. this is just for my piece of mind to know what the possible cause is for the latches not to engage now that the top is in position
Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I don't think the bolts she loosened will do anything to help it lock down to the windshield. If, with it resting on the top of the windshield, pressing the top UP button, it doesn't lock down, I think she should use the manual method to lock it to the windshield too.

when I had my cab top in manual mode, I had the bolts in the rear loose, and the latch down motors worked fine.
Yes, I agree.

I think with your other plan you have more chance of messing something up with the rear motors/cables. If it won't latch in manual mode there's another problem.

When you put it in (full/permanent) manual mode you will want to pull the power cable to the rear motor so it won't run at all.

From what you've said so far I wouldn't want to put the top back in electric mode until the top motors/cables have been realigned (DIY on P-car.com and Pcar workshop).

If the car doesn't have to be driven I would just leave it with the top laying on the windshield frame, not latched, until you can get home to look at it. I leave mine like that all the time if I don't know if I'm going to want it up or down the next time I drive it.

Best of luck.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
jtilden
Racer

what would cause the cables to jump out of alignment? I know the window frame bent on the drivers side due to an obstruction (i am assuming), but would that alone cause the cable on one side to now be out of alignment with the other side? again, i am asking for my own piece of mind, they are going to lock it manually. I am just worried sick and trying to figure out why the motor wont engage using the switch. they said the top is aligned perfectly with the windshield (is there a fuse for the locking mechanism that could have blown due to a spike in current?). thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The cables stretch, I wouldn't drive myself crazy trying to figure out why it (may be) out of alignment.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:26 PM
jtilden
Racer

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The cables stretch, I wouldn't drive myself crazy trying to figure out why it (may be) out of alignment.
What about the locks not engaging? is there a fuse i can have my brother-in-law check
Old 09-19-2009, 05:17 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More likely a microswitch that's now out of alignment. Check the fuses but I'll bet they're OK. Don't sweat it as it should all work again when you get everything back in alignment.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:20 PM
jtilden
Racer

UPDATE: The top is up. My Brother_in_law found that the b-pillar is broke on the drivers side. Now my question is this...what the heck caused this type of damage? Why would the B-pillar bend? There was nothing blocking the movement of the top when she went to lower it. So my wife is going to leave the top down until i get back.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The basic design of the top has not changed since the 911SC cabriolet debuted in 1983. In 84 (?) they added the motors. It's not a good system, it relies on two separate motors and cables for each side and a pair of microswitches on one side only to determine if the top is fully up or down. So, if something goes wrong with a motor or cable on one side, the other side doesn't know, and it keeps raising or lowering the top. Then, it bends, twists or snaps.

Over time, the cables themselves shorten, and it gets out of alignment to the point where it becomes an issue.

Really, the best thing to do is remove the motors and transmissions, and just put the top up and down by hand, using the motorized latches to close it.

The latches probably were not working because both microswitches by the latches need to be depressed by the windshield frame for them to operate; if the top was not resting evenly on the frame, they won't engage.

Quick Reply: Cab Top Manual Lock