Varioram in a 95?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Okay...so for those with 993 Non-varioram converted to a Varioram, does a freer flowing cat/exhaust system help increase hp or torque?

Porsche did change the exhaust from Bischoff to Gillete. I wonder if there is any performance difference.
A little, mostly it just sounds better and is weight lost from an important spot

zero difference between Bischoff and Gillete

The Cup cars used Bischoff w/ the heater shrouds removed and a gutted cat
here's a Cup exhaust I happened to be lookingh at yesterday
Old 09-19-2009, 07:04 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Once you get the tune of your engine above the power of a good stock 993RS (i.e. 330+hp) the Bischoff heat exchangers perform significantly better due to their superior collector design. Below this level of tune you will probably see negligible differences - so don't all rush out to change them if you have Gillets on a standard car!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:06 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
For those of us not remapping our ECU's, do you have a chart of a stock VR vs. NVR?

Always been curious, never been able to find one.
Exactly the same diferences, just smaller numbers, but I'll see what I can find in our database of dyno runs. Trouble is, we rarely test standard cars......
Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
Why do you want a Vario Ram, when the non VR is so much better? The VR is heavier, takes up more space, is more complicated with more moving parts, etc, etc, and as opposed to what most people believe, the VR does not give you more power or performance than the non VR. The only "advantage" the VR has, is that it give a better torque on low rpm, so if you put-put around town in 4th gear at 1500rpm, then the VR is for you. If you prefer more spirited driving, the non VR puts out just as much power as the VR, despite the 15HP difference on paper. If you want to chip the non VR engine, it's cheaper and easier than the VR. Take a look at Porsche tuner FVD's page for 993 engine tuning: http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...uningKits.html. The non VR motor cranks out the same 300HP as the VR motor.
The English magazine Total 911 did earlier this year a comparison between the VR and non VR, and concluded that the non VR was more responsive and quicker to drive. The only "benefit" the VR motor had, was that it looked better... The German magazine Auto Motor & Sport did a VR vs non VR comparison in August 1995, and the 0-100km/h both cars did in 5.2 seconds, while the VR car had a 1.5mph higher top speed. The fact that Porsche abandoned the VR concept, and went back to the non VR intake on all later water cooled cars, speaks for itself. With all the potential problems with the OBDII 993's, the non VR motor is a no brainer!!!
Disagree. With a 95, you can have your cake and eat it too. As you all know I have done this conversion (which remains OBD-1) and it makes a difference on a street car - unless you drive around at more that 1/2 throttle or over 4K rpm ALL of the time on public roads. For the approx $1500 it cost me, I'd say it was worth it.

Oh, and btw, the new GT3 uses a multi-stage intake manifold.....

Cheers,
Joe

Quick Reply: Varioram in a 95?