Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What does New RS suspension Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does New RS suspension Cost?

Control arms, sways, links, ect....
Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Control arms, sways, links, ect....
Bill V. will chime in with a detailed list or corrections/additions as necessary. Also note, there are several pieces that are authentic to an RS suspension that may not be needed for nearly all people.

Bump steer kit (EVO uprights and tie rods): $1900
Front bushings: $300 - (estimate)
Rear control arms (full set of RS new parts): $2000
Sway bars: $1500
Coilovers (RS shocks and springs are about the same price): $3000

If you DIY, you may need help with the bump steer kit (pressing bearings) - figure about $100 and you will definitley need a good corner balancing and alignment $400

If you have somebody else do it, expect at least $3000, maybe $4000.

Also consider the motor mounts $400 will hold the engine in place better during acceleration and hard cornering. Then, you should probably get the short shift kit ($400) and the shifter ($300) to go along. You will need the RS aerokit (wing $700-aftermarket, splitters $800, skirts $1100) to match the shifter. Now, it looks like an RS, but, it is really a lead sled - so, you will need the RS engine kit $15,000 and a rebuild $10,000. Now, all that is missing is the transmission $10,000. We forgot brakes at $2,000 to match the body and you will absolutely need the Speedline wheels at $5,000 to tie it all together.

Bob
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well put new tires on the Speedline wheels, $1500.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or, just buy a genuine 993RS, enjoy driving it, owning it and ride the positive carry wave of price appreciation!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by bobesser
Bill V. will chime in with a detailed list or corrections/additions as necessary. Also note, there are several pieces that are authentic to an RS suspension that may not be needed for nearly all people.

Bump steer kit (EVO uprights and tie rods): $1900
Front bushings: $300 - (estimate)
Rear control arms (full set of RS new parts): $2000
Sway bars: $1500
Coilovers (RS shocks and springs are about the same price): $3000

If you DIY, you may need help with the bump steer kit (pressing bearings) - figure about $100 and you will definitley need a good corner balancing and alignment $400

If you have somebody else do it, expect at least $3000, maybe $4000.

Also consider the motor mounts $400 will hold the engine in place better during acceleration and hard cornering. Then, you should probably get the short shift kit ($400) and the shifter ($300) to go along. You will need the RS aerokit (wing $700-aftermarket, splitters $800, skirts $1100) to match the shifter. Now, it looks like an RS, but, it is really a lead sled - so, you will need the RS engine kit $15,000 and a rebuild $10,000. Now, all that is missing is the transmission $10,000. We forgot brakes at $2,000 to match the body and you will absolutely need the Speedline wheels at $5,000 to tie it all together.

Bob
That's about right

I'd add that solid rear sidemounts is a great addition on a lowered car. add ~$450
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Or, just buy a genuine 993RS, enjoy driving it, owning it and ride the positive carry wave of price appreciation!
easier said than done on this side of the pond
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by clubsport1
This side of the Atlantic, that is not so easy.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
TargaTango
Racer

If you want authenticity go for the original dampers. I was strongly advised against them in favour of the various modern offerings.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
easier said than done on this side of the pond
+1 -- I have tried to justify the expense many times
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

That's about right

I'd add that solid rear sidemounts is a great addition on a lowered car. add ~$450
If the car is essentially 100% street would one stick with the harder RS rubber or go with solid side mounts?

Also have a question on RS camber plates and mounts...does someone have a list of the RS parts? Or would you recommend a different product?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
If the car is essentially 100% street would one stick with the harder RS rubber or go with solid side mounts?

Also have a question on RS camber plates and mounts...does someone have a list of the RS parts? Or would you recommend a different product?
It would depend on how low you go, at RS height - no, at Cup/RSR height - yes

If you use RS springs and shocks you might as well use RS camber plates and mounts, there are aftermarket versions that work as well for less $.

Remember that besides the shocks and top mounts you need all the spring mount hardware too the spring mounts have to match the springs

the RS front shocks were a double tube design, you don't want them, you want monotube rebuildable Bilstein or H&R Cup shocks or some other monotube design.

Mode, ERP, Elephant and Rennline all have their own designs, you will have to do some due diligence and decide what's important to you as there is some variation in design among them.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM
il pirata
Banned

It would depend on how low you go, at RS height - no, at Cup/RSR height - yes

If you use RS springs and shocks you might as well use RS camber plates and mounts, there are aftermarket versions that work as well for less $.

Remember that besides the shocks and top mounts you need all the spring mount hardware too the spring mounts have to match the springs

the RS front shocks were a double tube design, you don't want them, you want monotube rebuildable Bilstein or H&R Cup shocks or some other monotube design.

Mode, ERP, Elephant and Rennline all have their own designs, you will have to do some due diligence and decide what's important to you as there is some variation in design among them.
Thanks Bill. Going RS height and already have PSS 10's so will use those. I understand with the RS rear mounts one needs a custom top hat if you use PSS 10's. Based on this and essentially 100% street use would you have a preference among the vendors?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Well....

Sorry to tell you this, but the RS suspension was built by the factory in 1994/95 on available components...this technology is a wee bit long in the tooth IMHO...I say this because I can really afford all the genuine RS stuff...but I do have a little
RS Motor Mounts
RS Tranny Mount
RS Side Skirts
RS Front and rear sway bar
RS Front Splitters (Sold them)..went to a 993 RS CS tail and GT2 front splitters
Short Shifter

Non-factory stuff
ERP camber plates
ERP rear shock mounts
ERP Camber Arms
ERP Toe Arms
Walrod front bushings
FD Motorsports shifting Rod
FD Motorsports muffs (Stock for the 92 dB effect needed at laguna Seca)
Fab Speed 200 cell cats and X pipes
Andial semi-LWF and Andial recommended clutch with 50,000 mile on her.

For suspension I have PSS9s with stock springs and valving
For wheels, I use O-Z Allegritta from Tire Rack, $1,700 delivered.

After all is said and done, I recently drove a Cayman S. Good god do they handle, quiet too and haul ***. If you want the best of all possible worlds, for cheap, try a 2003 996 Turbo...it's like driving around in a comfortable leather chair..yes they do handle, and yes they go very fast, quickly. A early GT3 is another late model rocket ship with lots of handling and incredible power.

I hope "Baby" (My 993) doesn't read this; she might conclude I was pondering an affair, and kicking her to the curb, not really, just flirting a bit. I love my little 993 RS CS poseur car, and street legal in California too.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Sorry to tell you this, but the RS suspension was built by the factory in 1994/95 on available components...this technology is a wee bit long in the tooth IMHO...I say this because I can really afford all the genuine RS stuff...but I do have a little
RS Motor Mounts
RS Tranny Mount
RS Side Skirts
RS Front and rear sway bar
RS Front Splitters (Sold them)..went to a 993 RS CS tail and GT2 front splitters
Short Shifter

Non-factory stuff
ERP camber plates
ERP rear shock mounts
ERP Camber Arms
ERP Toe Arms
Walrod front bushings
FD Motorsports shifting Rod
FD Motorsports muffs (Stock for the 92 dB effect needed at laguna Seca)
Fab Speed 200 cell cats and X pipes
Andial semi-LWF and Andial recommended clutch with 50,000 mile on her.

For suspension I have PSS9s with stock springs and valving
For wheels, I use O-Z Allegritta from Tire Rack, $1,700 delivered.

After all is said and done, I recently drove a Cayman S. Good god do they handle, quiet too and haul ***. If you want the best of all possible worlds, for cheap, try a 2003 996 Turbo...it's like driving around in a comfortable leather chair..yes they do handle, and yes they go very fast, quickly. A early GT3 is another late model rocket ship with lots of handling and incredible power.

I hope "Baby" (My 993) doesn't read this; she might conclude I was pondering an affair, and kicking her to the curb, not really, just flirting a bit. I love my little 993 RS CS poseur car, and street legal in California too.
Thanks for your comments Martin. I already have PSS 10's, RS Motor Mounts, Walrods, and the FD short shift/golden rod. I believe you track your car and the ERP products have a good reputation...I am thinking they would be a bit too harsh for street only use. Also as I am not tracking the car I do not need the adjustable bits...I will get the alignment set up and leave it alone.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
Thanks Bill. Going RS height and already have PSS 10's so will use those. I understand with the RS rear mounts one needs a custom top hat if you use PSS 10's. Based on this and essentially 100% street use would you have a preference among the vendors?
I'm not 100% familiar w/ the issue w/ the Bilsteins in back, probably has to do w/ the upper spring perch.

I use and like the Rennline rear monoball shock mount, it has oe seals. They should work w/ the PSS shocks, if there is any doubt call Rennline up and talk to them, one of them has a very track oriented 993. On mine w/ Cup shocks I needed the 12mm bushes, AFAIK only Moton uses the 14mm bushes

Quick Reply: What does New RS suspension Cost?