Originally Posted by Mike J
Neither, I choose RUF! :-)
What he said...
Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts
Default UPDATE

Was chatting with a Fikse dealer (I won't disclose who, or where) and getting a preliminary quote on FM-10's. By the subsequent call, he'd sourced the fitment data, finish options and prices directly from Fikse... and... After patiently sourcing the wheels and pricing, and before I could ask the question that was next on my lips ("BTW, how do find Fikse wheels hold up, in your opinion, for track and some street use?"), he unilaterally volunteered the following:

He has sold multiple sets of wheels over the last year and had MULTIPLE failures reported. Everything form cracked barrels to cracked centers. A high ratio. Apparently these are being fixed by Fikse, but without definitive answers on what has gone wrong with either their process or materials.

There's a recent thread in the DE forum about some pretty strange customer service from Fikse of late - not getting straight answers, changing stories, unreasonable delays - just not what they used to be. This dealer confirmed they too have been experiencing the same delays and nonsense first hand.

Good lesson/reminder to check around and ask questions...

Matt
Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Matt - there have been no failures of spiders (centers) of the FM 10. On the other hand I had cracks in the barrels on mine. Fixed free. The problems seem to be on units made two years ago and used on cars raced on slicks. So, unless you plan to use racing slicks, I'd say you are OK. Note, the repair on mine was prompt. New barrels sent within a week.

FWIW several GT3 guys are using CCW wheels with no issues. Not as pretty mind you but they seem to stand up well.

Best,
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
He has sold multiple sets of wheels over the last year and had MULTIPLE failures reported. Everything form cracked barrels to cracked centers. A high ratio. Apparently these are being fixed by Fikse, but without definitive answers on what has gone wrong with either their process or materials.

There's a recent thread in the DE forum about some pretty strange customer service from Fikse of late - not getting straight answers, changing stories, unreasonable delays - just not what they used to be. This dealer confirmed they too have been experiencing the same delays and nonsense first hand.
Dag.

Andreas
Old 09-12-2009, 09:21 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
FM10 =

RSGT =

LOL!

BTW - love the avatar.

Andreas
Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Who wears those shoes anymore? LOL
Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Matt, I was in Hershey for the swap meet and there were at least 3 guys selling BBS rs-gt wheels with tires for 2250-2500$. The wheels were all in great shape.(like new)
Good Luck
Dwane
Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d964
Hey Matt, I was in Hershey for the swap meet and there were at least 3 guys selling BBS rs-gt wheels with tires for 2250-2500$. The wheels were all in great shape.(like new)
Good Luck
Dwane
The prices you quote are very true to current market conditions. In the last 60 days I paid $2600 for paulsha911's set. I wanted his hard to find 11" rears for my widebody.

I then sold my set (10" rears with 15mm spacers) for $2300.

A new set of (4) BBS RS-GT's in Diamond Black list out at about $3,900.

For me a used set of either (Fikse or BBS) is hard to pass up considering they sell for about 40% less then new.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Matt - there have been no failures of spiders (centers) of the FM 10. On the other hand I had cracks in the barrels on mine. Fixed free. The problems seem to be on units made two years ago and used on cars raced on slicks. So, unless you plan to use racing slicks, I'd say you are OK. Note, the repair on mine was prompt. New barrels sent within a week.
Hi Bob, I am glad to hear your issues got fixed promptly. But unless I completely misheard, which is possible, it was reported to me that at least one center had likewise cracked as well.

As for running slicks, you are right, I do not intend to run them. However Fikse markets itself as a motorsports wheel, supplier to Rolex series cars, etc. If their wheels are not suitable for running pure track tires, they should state as much and not have folks driving at high rates of speed on wheels that will/may fail. I bet there are a bunch of racers using Fikse wheels with slicks that would not be too thrilled with that limitation/disclaimer.

We can chat further at Calabogie later this month.

PS - I've always loved the Fikse wheels (and still do), and would hope these issues can be satisfactorily resoloved.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Help me spend money I don't have! RS-GT vs. Fikse Fm-10's