Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS uprights and tie roads

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 04:12 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Default RS uprights and tie roads

has anyone had this bumpsteer modification done and if so can you give you give a very articulate and accurate appraisal of exactly how it affected your car and by how much ?

regards

Rich
Old 09-11-2009 | 04:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I have installed a few of these kits. I have to say the difference isnt that great until you push the car. The harder you push, the more reward (to a point, of course).

For a street driven car that is at a low ride height, the best way to notice and appreciate the update is on a fast, sweeping and bumpy on or off ramp.
Old 09-11-2009 | 05:32 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Just ordered the parts through Jeff Gamroth here in PDX. I will post comments as soon as I get a chance to drive 'em.
Old 09-11-2009 | 05:55 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

FYI, I have a right side RS/Gt2/EVO upright & tie rod for sale.

IMO makes a significant difference on a lowered car on the track or bumpy surfaces.
Old 09-11-2009 | 06:05 PM
jackal2513
Racer

thanks matt, i have sent you a pm
i would apprceiate first refusal on that if you don't mind

would it make a difference to the car when its just travelling along on the motorway
i find my car can shift left and right a bit when going ovr bumps at speed and it feels like bumpsteer to me
Old 09-11-2009 | 06:52 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=jdistefa;6895136]FYI, I have a right side RS/Gt2/EVO upright & tie rod for sale.
QUOTE]

Matt, you going into NASCAR and only needed the other side??
Old 09-11-2009 | 07:00 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Matt,

Sorry for the last post. I retract my attempt at humour. I just read another post by you detailing your Mosport incident. Very sorry to hear that.
Old 09-11-2009 | 11:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I can only comment back to back with the RS America as I bought the yellow car as-is. The RS America isn't lowered anywhere near what the yellow car is. If you need it for competitive purposes, you need it. If you just want a slammed lowered car to look cool, you can probably deal with the bump steer.

Worst 993 I've ever driven was probably the first US modified turbo that came out of Rob King's shop. Funny to think how unsophisticated all this was a dozen years ago. So this then-new '96 turbo was modified with this and that, cover of Excellence, and came on the market in '04. Slammed and undrivable. How the owner dealt with it, I have no idea.
Old 09-12-2009 | 11:08 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackal2513
has anyone had this bumpsteer modification done and if so can you give you give a very articulate and accurate appraisal of exactly how it affected your car and by how much ?

regards

Rich
It's difficult to quantify, but on a lowered tracked car w/ RS uprights steering reponse is much better, add stiffer bushes and springs and the difference is immeasureably better. It will actually do what you tell it to w/ the stering wheel.

Most people w/ street cars will never drive it hard enough or have the car low enough to fully appreciate the difference
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:06 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
It's difficult to quantify, but on a lowered tracked car w/ RS uprights steering reponse is much better, add stiffer bushes and springs and the difference is immeasureably better. It will actually do what you tell it to w/ the stering wheel.

Most people w/ street cars will never drive it hard enough or have the car low enough to fully appreciate the difference
I went straight from stock suspension to EVO uprights and Moton's so I'm not sure about without the uprights. However Bill is right, my C4S turns in and goes where I tell it, no questions asked. I can't remember a time this season that I felt the car didn't do what I input.
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:41 PM
jackal2513
Racer

what about straight stability ?

surely if the tie rods are way off from parallel you will get significant instability at high speed in a straight line going over bumps ?
Old 09-12-2009 | 03:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Straight line stability...

would be a function of alignment....with the EVO uprights and the RS tie rods, and a lowered car (To RS height or lower), this is the best combination, tie rods will be parallel....front bump steer should go away with this set up.

Steve Weiner has been supplying these special parts to Rennlisters for years. For a follow up position, there is always Viper Bob.

The problem, my friends, Porsche is probably NOT making these products any longer....the will become scarce as hen's teeth.

Quick Reply: RS uprights and tie roads