Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche 911 Sport Classic (2010)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Neat car, but I think Porsche has "lost the fox" since about when the boxster was introduced.

Echoing many earlier sentiments: smaller, lighter, less computerized and tarted up would translate into significant sales to enthusiasts. Many of us do not buy new Porsches because we cannot afford them. We pass because we don't support the current corporate vision as pertains to production cars.

Don't get me wrong, the GT3's have awesome performance (well above what I would ever master). But soul is hard to design and build - and clearly easy to lose. When this is compounded with outright greed and nonsense in pricing options for example (paying for paint, floor mats, 1000 other things) it sours the whole experience. Try not cutting a hole in my roof, that would be a worthwhile option Fritz.

Sorry for the bitterness, but as finance guy, I was quite impressed with what Weideking nearly pulled off. But as for corporate culture and philosophy, ugh.

For those that play guitar, witness the tripe that Fender builds and markets these days. For 3X the cost of a normal guitar, I can pay for the priviledge of some snotty kid at the factory to pre-beat my guitar for me. "Aged finish" they call it.

Gee, thanks...

Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
so they make new awesome stuff like this but it's priced like it's made of unobtanium....

I guess that's how they get the money back to pay off their Qatar investors

I do like it though

<edit>
After more thought and examination,they are smoking crack. Lose the stripes, make it in white. Love the wheels, love the exhaust. Price it reasonably near a GT3.

Obviously Piech is a stern taskmaster, he wants PROFIT ..... maybe more than Wiedeking did !

Price is insane for what you get. Gimme a GT3 (base even, let alone an RS)
</edit>
This was sort of my line of thought. It reminds me of Leica cameras and Leitz lenses. They are probably the best made camera and optical products out there (next to Zeiss) and have a very long history of high quality and innovation. Kind of the Porsche of 35mm rangefinder cameras.

But then came the Japanese and economies of scale, etc.. The Ernst Leitz company (now Leica Camera AG) eventually ran into serious financial issues.

The upshot is that Leica started to build certain "limited editions" and special high end short runs. All super expensive. But profitable.

I'm guessing that they (Qatar and VAG) will be doing a lot more of this kind of stuff.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oleg steciw
I'm not sure what the purpose of this model is?

Is it for a nostalgic "cool" factor? How does this stack up against a GT3? Seems like this verison is more based off the standard Carrera.

Interesting they went back to a 993/996-type exhaust layout. Again, for nostalgic reasons?

While I dig the wheels and the duck tail, I guess I'm not getting this release or what the purpose it. Yes, lighter, simpler, more "old school" - that would be very cool.
Lighter than what? The 993? Because the 997 is about the same weight as the 993.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
Some downloads from Scott's Vid Link
In the picture they make it look as if it is the same size as the 73 RS, but in reality it has to be some 15-20% bigger.

The depreciation on this car is going to be ridiculous.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Dr. Vader
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am absolutely in LOVE with this car, I think it will be a collectors item one day no doubt. It is over-priced and perhaps a little suited for the over qualified and not the enthusiast, but (BUT) it is a try (try; A word for no conceivable will towards success) by Porsche in modern times towards an enthusiast crowd. Gentleman let us let Porsche welcome us to the 21st century.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:12 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 458 Posts

I like the way it looks. I LOVE the wheels. But the price? PUT DOWN THE PIPE!!!!!!!!!

It would have been a knockout with a GT3 motor and the folding "Sport Buckets".
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I like everything I see here with this car ... but the premium is incomprehensible ...
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I like the way it looks. I LOVE the wheels. But the price? PUT DOWN THE PIPE!!!!!!!!!

It would have been a knockout with a GT3 motor and the folding "Sport Buckets".

I like the car too, and agree it would need a GT3 motor and the buckets to be anywhere near even 75% of what they say the price is going to be.

And a dressed up 997 is not going to be a collectors item, I don't care if they build ten of them. Maybe if it had the GT3 motor. A paint to sample car may be just as rare, probably less that 250 in it's respected color.

What would stop them from making another series of this car if people actually buy them at that crazy price. By the time this thing comes out, the Scuderia will be in this price range.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Nautilus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Echoing many earlier sentiments: smaller, lighter, less computerized and tarted up would translate into significant sales to enthusiasts.
+1

Originally Posted by texas911
Lighter than what? The 993? Because the 997 is about the same weight as the 993.
Yes, and it is stiffer as well. I think the point is that if they built the car the size of the 993 it would be much lighter than the 997.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default in the flesh!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+1000 for any 993 and the same for Leica Rangefinders. (I bought a mint M4 two years ago and an M6 classic. Just can't beat the 35mm summicron.) Thank goodness there are plenty of great 993s out there and the parts are available to keep them going. I think I'll go downstairs and polish mine a little more - should be great weather for a drive today.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 AM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Originally Posted by cgfen
$241K
i think they are smoking crack!
Seinfeld probably has his order in ! Perhaps this signals a return to a more retro style. There seems a strong 993 element here
Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by curve lover
Very nice! Interesting that they had the cheaper cars under the canopies, while the Sport Classic was exposed to the elements!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by curve lover
so did you also enquire as to the price for a set of 19" Fuchs wheels?!?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Frankly they could loose the chrome "911 Sport Classic". They left out the rain gutters and the PORSCHE reflector across the back, what were they thinking?

I bought a Leica M8 a couple of years ago so I can use my small accumulation of Leica lenses (15mm, 21mm, 35mm, and 90mm). I still have my M6TTL, but film is sadly on the way out. Leica now has the full frame M9 but I'll continue to use the M8 until it dies.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 Sport Classic (2010)