Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I have this cool PD watch and don't know what to do with it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:21 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
...So here's the update. I plan on doing the drawing Sunday....no more extensions! Have my video camera ready so we'll videotape it and post (assuming I can figure out how to post a video)....
Just a suggestion (since I have no skin in the game) but rather than doing a drawing, you could consider assigning numbers between 00 and 60 and then using the last two digits of the winning time of the Singapore F1 (race is this weekend) to determine the winner. If you wind up with more than 60 tickets, then you could assign numbers 00 to 99 and the winning number is the last two digits of the sum of the times of the podium finishers. No need to video tape a drawing and there should be no question as to fairness of the process if the numbers are assigned and posted prior. Of course this also gives everyone an excuse to watch the race.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Piers4954
I would go for two tickets, if I can get you the money from over here. Have you got PayPal?
Unfortunately no Paypal (it's Paypal's, not Steve's fault).

Originally Posted by David in LA
Just a suggestion (since I have no skin in the game) but rather than doing a drawing, you could consider assigning numbers between 00 and 60 and then using the last two digits of the winning time of the Singapore F1 (race is this weekend) to determine the winner. If you wind up with more than 60 tickets, then you could assign numbers 00 to 99 and the winning number is the last two digits of the sum of the times of the podium finishers. No need to video tape a drawing and there should be no question as to fairness of the process if the numbers are assigned and posted prior. Of course this also gives everyone an excuse to watch the race.
Great idea!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So, who else here thinks I'm the one who's going to win this watch?

Phil
Old 09-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Not me! Haha!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
TargaMatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My money's sent! Sorry so slow, haven't been online much lately
Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a suggestion (since I have no skin in the game) but rather than doing a drawing, you could consider assigning numbers between 00 and 60 and then using the last two digits of the winning time of the Singapore F1 (race is this weekend)...
Cool idea. Sir Jackie Stewart is commentating on the BBC coverage this weekend, quite a nice treat.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:36 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rafle Payment

Originally Posted by TargaMatt
My money's sent! Sorry so slow, haven't been online much lately
Got it.

Thanks, Matt
Old 09-26-2009, 12:47 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting and creative idea. I'm not a big race fan (doesn't mean I love may cars any less!) so I'm not as familiar with the race. Also have a 12 or 13 hour time difference (correct?) so we may be running out of time to do that. When is the race? Saturday or Sunday? May be too late to do this now but I actually like the idea.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

The race is in Singapore on Sunday night, so 5AM Sunday PDT. Races run 2 hours so results should be up by 7AM PDT. There's a handy timezone converter on the F1 home page:
http://www.formula1.com/
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
The race is in Singapore on Sunday night, so 5AM Sunday PDT. Races run 2 hours so results should be up by 7AM PDT. There's a handy timezone converter on the F1 home page:
http://www.formula1.com/
I really like your idea but it looks like we're expecting 67 tickets sold. I would love to figure a way to make that work.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I really like your idea but it looks like we're expecting 67 tickets sold. I would love to figure a way to make that work.
Assuming 67 tix sold, you assign numbers 00 to 66 in the order in which tickets were sold/cash received. The easy way would be to use last two digits of the hundreths of a second of the winning time. Last year Alonso *ahem* "won" the Sing F1 with a time of 1.57.16.304...so using that as an example the winning number is 04. If no one wins it this week because the finishing time was say .089 or some number greater than 66, then roll it over to the next race, and if needed, the next after that.

I think as long as everyone is informed of the rules and procedure beforehand and that the winning number is randomly generated, that would be the most transparent. As I said I have no skin in this game but it's quite a bit of money on the line.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:34 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

not as cool as the F1 idea but random.org is a good site to check out for drawings and stuff.

good luck to those in the game!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Velasko = Velasco

Old 09-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Assuming 67 tix sold, you assign numbers 00 to 66 in the order in which tickets were sold/cash received. The easy way would be to use last two digits of the hundreths of a second of the winning time. Last year Alonso *ahem* "won" the Sing F1 with a time of 1.57.16.304...so using that as an example the winning number is 04. If no one wins it this week because the finishing time was say .089 or some number greater than 66, then roll it over to the next race, and if needed, the next after that.

I think as long as everyone is informed of the rules and procedure beforehand and that the winning number is randomly generated, that would be the most transparent. As I said I have no skin in this game but it's quite a bit of money on the line.
Do they post the times of 2nd and 3rd in hundredths? If so, there's 3 chances to get a winner. And if you have keep going from there add the time of 1 & 2, if that doesn't do it add 1, 2 & 3.

Just a thought, don't want to get too complex for Steve.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:12 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

http://www.random.org/integers/

set to generate 1 random integer
set range from 1 to 67
press "get numbers" button

But it is REALLY low excitement