Multiple Lost Key Fobs & The Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Bmahoney5959
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Lost Key Fobs & The Immobilizer

Hi -

Post is a little long. but need to explain for my questions at the bottom to make sense...

-I got my 96 C2 cab with one switchblade key (presumably owner lost the other)
-Over he course of a couple of years I lost three key/fob sets
-Today I went to the dealer to get another one and have it programmed (I had tried programming myself a year or so ago - nightmare - I gave up)
-The programming seemed to work and the car started. Thing is mechanic had the original switchblade handy and he may have pressed the button on that.

Later today: light on the fob goes on but car doesn't respond.

This is what the Sept.. 95 Porsche Technical Bulletin the mechanic left in the car says:
Remote Control Sender: A maximum of four (4) remote control senders may be allocated to one car. If a remote control is lost, damaged or malfunctioning, a replacement can remote control can be purchased and calibrated to operate a specific vehicle. Since the vehicle comes with two (2) remote controls, any additional must be calibrated at the same time along with the controls already existing for the vehicle.

The mechanic was concerned that since I've done so many reprograms, it wouldn't work and I'd need to replace the immobilizer. Or is he misinterpreting the paragraph above. He said that he very rarely does immobilizer work and doesn't know the older cars well.

So my questions:
-Is it true that if you lose too many keys, you have to replace the immobilizer?
-Has anyone had the experience of successfully programming a key fob then having it not work soon afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

-Brian
Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It will replace the old ones if you program new ones with out the old ones. You can only have 4 total at one time. Not 4 forever.

Quick Reply: Multiple Lost Key Fobs & The Immobilizer