993 Forum 1995-1998

Horn beeps in corners

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Horn beeps in corners

My '98 C2S coupe has 80K on the clock. Today I was turning left in a slightly bumpy corner, going about 30 mph. In the middle of the turn, the horn beeped softly once or twice. Although I wasn't sure at the time, these beeps started a few weeks ago. Today, it was definite. Has anyone experienced this behavior and, if so, what's the fix?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Jackson911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a very common problem and there are several posts in this forum that will provide the DIY fix. Just search horn problems, horn issues etc. Good Luck
Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

It is not only a common problem, but one of the most comedic. Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but that problem always makes me chuckle.

I hope it's a cheap fix.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an easy DIY with a 17mm socket/wrench a deep T30 bit/handle and a tube of silicone sealant.
Disconnect Battery, wait 30 minutes. Remove airbag/steering pad assembly (T30). unplug airbag from back of steering pad/airbag assembly remove 4 gold/yellow 17mm bolts from frame assembly. Disconnect ground wire from frame assembly. remove frame assembly. squirt silicone sealant into each of the four crappy bushing suspensions on both sides. Let dry. re-assemble. Drive. DO NOT hook battery back up & test while airbag is disconnected or you will get an airbag light that needs to be reset.

Just did mine yesterday. been waiting to test drive it though because it's been raining here for 3 days straight. I'm sure its fine now. I used to be able to breathe on it and it would honk. Slowing at a stop light... Beep beep beep beep beep. Very comical. Now it takes a medium push with the hand.

Nick
Old 08-29-2009, 01:56 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks all, especially the detailed DIY, Warpig. If everything on this car could be fixed for the cost of a tube of sealant, life would be grand.

Quick Reply: Horn beeps in corners