Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning suspension upgrade what else should I look at replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I think Mark is right; the PSS-10's don't actually need the extra locking collar (we have installed over a hundred of these without them) provided everything is installed correctly. That said, we do provide them with every suspension kit for the DIY'ers to ensure that nothing can move to prevent damaging the droplinks.
Every suspension kit? Just the PSS10s? I ordered mine separately from you later (and still haven't installed).
Old 08-28-2009, 05:02 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with double lock rings the passenger side mount broke lose on mine. You have to really tighten the top locknut tightly using a punch and a hammer and not just the wrenches.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Even with double lock rings the passenger side mount broke lose on mine. You have to really tighten the top locknut tightly using a punch and a hammer and not just the wrenches.
A BFH is always a good tool to have...especially for this
Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So you decided to pull the trigger. Your car will be a forced to be reckoned with next year in WV. Nice upgrade.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Promised pics from my track car.

This is on of the lightest and stiffest design, and pretty easy to do:
-two chromoly plates (these have to be chromoly or other hi-strength alloy, steel bends too easily).
-the right tools to cut and bend them
-two small steel or chromoly tubes
-good quality aluminum tube. This one is 2024-S grade, 2mm thick. But this doesn't have to be this good, could be 3 or more thick. Some cheaper 606x would make it and can be bought anywhere.
- a tig or mig welder

Note the front boltings, 2 small M6 on each plates. These are very important because as stiff as the bar can be, the camber plates hats tends to rotate along if they have not be re-enforced (which is the case on most cars, club car owners usually don't want their car to be welded everywhere).

If you have access to the right welding tools, it could entirely be made of aluminum.
Attached Images    
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IrocMan
Promised pics from my track car.

This is on of the lightest and stiffest design, and pretty easy to do:
-two chromoly plates (these have to be chromoly or other hi-strength alloy, steel bends too easily).
-the right tools to cut and bend them
-two small steel or chromoly tubes
-good quality aluminum tube. This one is 2024-S grade, 2mm thick. But this doesn't have to be this good, could be 3 or more thick. Some cheaper 606x would make it and can be bought anywhere.
- a tig or mig welder

Note the front boltings, 2 small M6 on each plates. These are very important because as stiff as the bar can be, the camber plates hats tends to rotate along if they have not be re-enforced (which is the case on most cars, club car owners usually don't want their car to be welded everywhere).

If you have access to the right welding tools, it could entirely be made of aluminum.

Thanks for the pictures IrocMan, Looks like a good upgrade but I must say at this point that might be over my head to get into that!

Quick Reply: Planning suspension upgrade what else should I look at replacing?