Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from S02 or PS2 to HTR Z IIIs and regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:52 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Ordered mine this past weekend.

My Sumi's are somewhere in route right now. I currently have B'stone S02A's. Replacement cost of rears only was $750 before shipping.

The cost of all 4 Sumi's was only $640 including shipping.

Bridgestone can take a flying leap. I'll stick the two front Bridgestone's in storage until there is a sale on the rears. At some point they'll be discontinued and I'll pick up matching rears for substantially less.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CADguy
I have yet to hear anyone on this list mention the BF Goodrich tires. My '97 C2 is lowered to RS spec with H&Rs and the BF Goodrich tires stick like glue and are not noisey.
Not to hijack the thread (just kind of expanding it ), but anyone ever use the BF Goodrich tires I mentioned?
I ran multiple types of BF Goodrichs on my 3.2 for years, never the KDs though, great tires and good price. The Sumis though just cant be beat for noise, performance, treadwear and especially price.

They dont look as badass as the BFGs though
Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made the change from S02s and never looked back the Sumos are great tires for the money.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am surprised at all of you who are happy with the Sumis. They're good "for the money"? Why are you driving a 911 if saving a few bucks is more important than road feel and performance? Tires are the single most important part of the chassis!!

I tried the Sumi HTR IIs a while back on my 993 because I was curious - suffice it so say the road feel and handling were so terrible that I promptly swapped them out for Michelins. Absolutely terrible tires. I can't imagine they've improved to the level of PS2s since.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I am surprised at all of you who are happy with the Sumis. They're good "for the money"? Why are you driving a 911 if saving a few bucks is more important than road feel and performance? Tires are the single most important part of the chassis!!

I tried the Sumi HTR IIs a while back on my 993 because I was curious - suffice it so say the road feel and handling were so terrible that I promptly swapped them out for Michelins. Absolutely terrible tires. I can't imagine they've improved to the level of PS2s since.
There is a HUGE difference between the IIs and the IIIs, IIs are/were terrible, IIIs are pretty good, neither is up to level of PS2s, but the IIIs are a huge improvement over the IIs.

I recommend the IIIs as value and decent street tires, but I would not recommend the IIs even for just street and definitely not for the track.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:35 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm driving a 911 because I've always wanted to drive/own a 911. Tires are an extremely important part of the experience and the final link to the road. I drive almost exclusively on public roads and enjoy every minute of it. I may even drive in a "spirited" fashion when the conditions permit. I do not, however, feel that by getting a tire that is good value I am cheating myself out of the experience. Tire technology, like everything else, marches on. I've had the opportunity, on frequent occasions I might add, to try the Sumi HTRZ II and HTRZ III back to back on 993s with similar setup, mileage, and wheel/tire size. There is a HUGE difference. The IIs are noisy, hard, and seem to lack ultimate grip. None of that can be said of the III.

It's dangerous to assume that more $$$, significantly more in the PS2/HTRZIII debate, equals more performance. If track driving comes into the equation then maybe the more expensive tire is better. I wouldn't know as I don't track my 993s. In street driving there is very little, if any, in it. I won't "cheap out" on parts for my 993s but I also won't pay through the nose for a name.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

II's are far from the III's, I've had them both on the street and track.

As far as "saving a few bucks" I guess it depends on perspective...I paid $640 out the door installed for a full set of Sumi III's...that would have been $1200+ for PS2's...so, $500-600 to me is more than a few bucks so it's a nice option to have. And, respectfully, if you read the track tests on the Sumi vs. some other very good tires that have historically been comprable or better than PS2's...and have actually beat several of them head-to-head. I wouldn't knock'em until you've tried them
Old 08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Saving a few bucks is important, but also there is very little perfomance to be gained per dollar over the HTRIIIs. I put 15-16k a year on my 993 and:

A) A lot of that is freeway/highway and I find a tire with less turn in is more comfortable on freeways with groves.

2) I love my car , but I don't have time or energy to have my rear tires changed every six months.

III) Close to a grand a year is more than a "few bucks" when considering the performance difference.

e) I dont think the HTRIIs were bad tires, and the HTRIIIS are better. I have had Yokohamas, Sumis IIs and IIIs and Pot 02s on the car for comparison.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
Saving a few bucks is important, but also there is very little perfomance to be gained per dollar over the HTRIIIs. I put 15-16k a year on my 993 and:

A) A lot of that is freeway/highway and I find a tire with less turn in is more comfortable on freeways with groves.

2) I love my car , but I don't have time or energy to have my rear tires changed every six months.

III) Close to a grand a year is more than a "few bucks" when considering the performance difference.

e) I dont think the HTRIIs were bad tires, and the HTRIIIS are better. I have had Yokohamas, Sumis IIs and IIIs and Pot 02s on the car for comparison.
Are you Buzz McCallister, Kevin McCallister's obnoxious older brother?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:00 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't have experience with the IIIs. The IIs, however, were so horrendously bad I couldn't believe it. My 993 handled like a Yugo. Anyone who can't tell the difference between the Sumi II and PS2s doesn't need a Porsche, they need to find a doctor to reattach their nerves to their spine. I would venture to say that tires made entirely of used chewing gum would give better road feel and turn-in than the Sumi HTRZ IIs. I believe you when you say the IIIs are much better, because they couldn't be any worse.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:08 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have experience with the IIIs.
This thread is about the III's, see the title? Maybe find another thread?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

'Nuther Sumi III fan here.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
This thread is about the III's, see the title? Maybe find another thread?
+1. Someone had too much coffee this morning perhaps?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got about 5k miles on my III's and couldn't be happier, the great price is just a bonus. I'm not a track or autocross guy, so maybe that is where a higher price tire would make sense. They track well and have a great feel when carving up rural country roads. They are also great on the highway without too much noise. The lack of wear is amazing despite agressive use of the go pedal (they are so cheap, I don't worry about using up the rears). Unless you are on the track or just driving crazy, I think it would be hard to get less than 10k miles out of the rears.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from S02 or PS2 to HTR Z IIIs and regret it?