Sponsored by:

What is this part!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What is this part!?

I found this during my fuel cell clamp tightening excursion trying to eliminate the fuel odor. I had to move the expansion tank to do so. Anyway, this morning I was giving the trunk the nose test and I found this rubber grommet type thing lying in the wedge of frame just below the fuel filler tubes on the left side (right side if facing from the front).
What is it and where does it go?
Attached Images    
Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
tigerrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question as I think I have two of them bouncing around in my trunk. Thanks for asking! Ken
Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the part but how did the "nose test" work out? What you did completely solved my gas odor issues.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They're the bumper stops that go on the rim of the trunk "frame". They support the trunk lid when it's closed. You should have 2, 1 on each side.

Edit: I was thinking of the 968 ones. See BlackIce's description below.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 08-23-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Not sure about the part but how did the "nose test" work out? What you did completely solved my gas odor issues.
Well, I did the removal of the expansion tank procedure twice. And this morning I don't think there is any improvement. I just got back from a short stint and it is the same fuel odor. It seems it is emanating from the left side of the fuel cell and the tubing going to the fuel filler cap. I checked and tightened all of the band clamps as far as I dare. None were loose. Could it still be the cap seal? I opened the fill door and stuck my nose in there and I could smell nothing. Go figure.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:30 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
They're the bumper stops that go on the rim of the trunk "frame". They support the trunk lid when it's closed. You should have 2, 1 on each side.
Thanks, but where exactly are they to be installed on the frame? I can't find the other one.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Thanks, but where exactly are they to be installed on the frame? I can't find the other one.
I'll take a photo of one of mine and post it, it'll be a couple of hrs. though, have to run an errand.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sit at the ends of the wall that is right behind the gas tank.

dave

PS - on your trunk smell. Maybe leave your car outside with the lid open for the afternoon. maybe it just needs to air out.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black ice

dave

PS - on your trunk smell. Maybe leave your car outside with the lid open for the afternoon. maybe it just needs to air out.
Thanks, I figured out the rubber stop thing. I can't find the other one.
Is there a way to turn off the trunk lamp without pulling the bulb. I didn't want the thing open and put a drain on the battery.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

dave

I stand corrected, here's a photo.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Thanks, I figured out the rubber stop thing. I can't find the other one.
Is there a way to turn off the trunk lamp without pulling the bulb. I didn't want the thing open and put a drain on the battery.
Push the trunk latch down as if the trunk were fully closed, that will turn off the lamp. Just remember to re-pop (release the latch) the trunk before you fully close the trunk. Be aware, the lamp is on a delay circuit, it will turn off in a few secs.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

I had to leave my trunk open for several days to get rid of the smell. During that time period I also took out the carpet and cleaned it and applied baking soda to the interior of the trunk.

I believe I just pulled fuse # 11 which stopped the trunk light and several other interior lights from coming on while the trunk was open. Maybe open the hood to turn on the light and pull fuse #11 and see if the light goes out. If it does it was the one I pulled.

Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
I had to leave my trunk open for several days to get rid of the smell. During that time period I also took out the carpet and cleaned it and applied baking soda to the interior of the trunk.

I believe I just pulled fuse # 11 which stopped the trunk light and several other interior lights from coming on while the trunk was open. Maybe open the hood to turn on the light and pull fuse #11 and see if the light goes out. If it does it was the one I pulled.

Best of luck.
Thanks guys. I am letting it air out for the next few days. On another note, I checked the brake switch with an ohmmeter and it works just fine. I also checked the fuse and it is also is fine. This cruise control issue is puzzling me.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

It's definitely fuse #11.

Quick Reply: What is this part!?