Strange noises...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Shake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noises...

I got two strange noises coming from my car:

1) When the A/C compressor kicks on, it's making noises like the bearings are going bad in it or something, does this mean it's time for a new compressor, or can the bearings be replaced?

2) When my rear spoiler retracts, it makes a loud rumbling vibration, anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name 2 noises not to worry about.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Shake
Instructor

Wow, two minutes! That's gotta be a new record, can I hire you or something?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:56 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah - two common problems - I had this as well. And both are easy DIY's. The only thing you will have to buy is the ball bearing for the rear spoiler motor unit - just a couple of bucks.

Both DIY's are on P-Car and on Rennlist forums.

For the CCU - just remove the unit and you will see a fan unit on the rear. You will need to disassemble it and clean it out and lubricate the rotating parts. It's a 10 minutes job.

For the spoiler - the bearing has rusted and needs replacing. Porsche didn't use a sealed bearing and some people say water runs down the line into the motor unit causing it to rust. You need to take out and pull apart the gearing unit - clean out the internals - swap out a bearing - and lube it all up. You'll also have to glue the unit back together. Took me about 30 minutes - little handy man work required.

Find the post that Bozo the clown did on the spoiler bearing. That's a great read.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shake
I got two strange noises coming from my car:

1) When the A/C compressor kicks on, it's making noises like the bearings are going bad in it or something, does this mean it's time for a new compressor, or can the bearings be replaced?

2) When my rear spoiler retracts, it makes a loud rumbling vibration, anyone experience this?

Thanks!

The spoiler fix is as stated above. Pretty easy to do. Get the sealed bearing.

It sounds like the A/C compressor is making the noise not the CCU. If it is the CCU fan it is an easy fix. Quick job to lube the fan. I'm not familiar with noises coming from the compressors that will have a "quick fix". Others with more knowledge may post. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
KLSpeed27
Racer

My A/C has made that sound for years, I thought it was typical for these cars...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Is the spoiler noise more pronounced on retract vs. extend? Is it even more pronounced during the 2nd half of retract (from halfway extended to fully closed)? Replacing the spoiler drive bearing is a good idea, but may not fix the problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...d-spoiler.html

Unfortunately, I don't have a resolution for you, as I haven't had a chance to go back and further investigate. But something to keep in mind.

- Dave
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Regarding the A/C compressor, it is likely the bearings if it's a loud growl/wine when engaged. If it is a very subtle wine and you are sensitive to such things, it might be fine as even my new one makes a slight noise but nothing like the old one. Before changing it, it sounded like it had rocks in it. When I finally changed it out, there was virtually no oil inside.

I delayed changing mine because I seldom used it and the noise was not bothersome. But then I read some reports of catastrophic failure of the compressor that then sent metal shards through the rest of the system - what a mess!

So, I bought mine for about $350 (with clutch) and changed it out in about 1 hour - very easy. The only catch is finding someone who will evacuate the system so you can swap the parts and then of course recharge it when done. It's a good idea to replace the dryer in the left front wheel well when doing this as well since they are only about $35.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Where are you guys getting the bearing? I need to to it, along with a spoiler wall.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

I got mine from thebigbearingstore.com (really). Be prepared to pay more in shipping than for the actual bearing! Tell yourself it's still cheaper than a new spoiler drive unit.

- Dave
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself a favor and if the compressor is bad replace it sooner rather than later. If you wait for it to blow it will be a much bigger project to replace and if you don't get all the metal out of the system you'll get to replace it more than once (at least). BTDT.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Do yourself a favor and if the compressor is bad replace it sooner rather than later. If you wait for it to blow it will be a much bigger project to replace and if you don't get all the metal out of the system you'll get to replace it more than once (at least). BTDT.
+100

This can be a lot more expensive if not dealt with. It is hard to say how bad it is at this point (via a forum)... but if the compressor bearings are going, it can get worse pretty fast.
YMMV
Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Shake
Instructor

The compressor is quiet when initially kicked on, but as I drive it gets louder and louder. To the point where if it kicks on while I'm at a stop light, people walking by will look over like "what the heck is that sound?", it's a little embarassing

I've got a buddy that owns a shop that will do the evacuation and recharge for me, that's not a problem. VNTGSPD, where did you get your compressor if you don't mind my asking? I was always under the impression these things were super expensive, but $350 doesn't sound too bad, especially with the clutch included.

I will investigate the wing noise further, and report back exactly during what phase it makes the noise, thanks guys.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Got mine from Don at EBS Racing (aka Engine Builder's Supply). There is a link under the Sponsors tab at the upper left corner of the page.

I suspect there are others too with competitive pricing. When comparing prices, just make sure you are comparing OEM units and determine whether the clutch is included.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Shake
Instructor

Who is the OEM for this compressor? Autozone has a Denso compressor w/ clutch for $350.

EDIT: And also, Pelican has it for $338, not bad!

Last edited by Shake; 08-20-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: New information

Quick Reply: Strange noises...