993 Forum 1995-1998

Post your pics here, starting pg 3! MD/DC/VA Rennlist "Meet & Drive" 9/13/09

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Steve - thanks for setting this up, for arranging for the great weather and for the nice drive. You done good!

+993

Ken
Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That black/tan 3.2L coupe is stunning.

...makes me wonder why I sold mine. Lindsey fuchs?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Great meet...thanks Steve!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 PM
fraggle
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the invite, the drive was a blast. Hope I didn't spook the guy in the 996 - we we're motoring at a pretty good pace there for awhile before I got lost.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice Shots!

I can't believe it.. I completely forgot abotu this gathering/drive!! Oh well, guess I'll make up for it this weekend, several events this coming Saturday.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM
fraggle
Rennlist Member

What's up for sat? I have something scribbled on my calendar but have a bad case of crs.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
tleaf321
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NIce pics guys. I have mostly video, but a few pics. I'll post the pics when I can. Thanks again Steve for organizing this. Great job! It was great to see and meet everyone.

I'm Terry (the red 928 with T'S TOY on the tags). I'm mostly on hte 928 forum, but it's always good to hang out with other Porsche owners. I know a few of you guys from Autocross.

I look forwrad to the next run. Do it again Steve.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Terry - I was behind you the whole time. Nice meeting you. I think we've met before at another gtg at maybe the milestone center a couple of years back and/or the last get together a few years back at the midpike location. Anyways, you and the red 928 were having a good time it seemed. You guys put down gobs of torque at each corners and bends...A few times, I wanted to really see what the 3L can do but then I quickly remember that the wife was next to me DOH!

I will be out of the country for most of Novemeber. The last weekend of November is the closest bet for me if you guys decided by then. But don't let me ruin the fun.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fraggle
Thanks for the invite, the drive was a blast. Hope I didn't spook the guy in the 996 - we we're motoring at a pretty good pace there for awhile before I got lost.
Yeah, speed limit on West Willard Rd was 35 mph. I think we might have been going a little faster than that.

Steve, good luck with the new job!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Yeah, speed limit on West Willard Rd was 35 mph. I think we might have been going a little faster than that.

Steve, good luck with the new job!
We saw someone set off the traffic cameras... Hope it wasn't me!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

Thanks again guys for the kind remarks, well wishes about my job situation, and paranoia... that I set off that speed camera!

I DID list on the sheet about the cameras on Glen Rd. Heck, if they put cameras on West Willard, we all would have been snagged doing ~60mph+ in a 30-35 zone. We'll keep that little tidbit a secret from our spouses and girlfriends, though. We want to let them think we're driving 100% responsibly 100% of the time out there.

If we did another "Meet" in November, which date is best for you guys that are still left hanging on this post:

11/1
11/8
or 11/29?

Those are the dates I could do it.

Steve R
Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Steve - 11/29 works for me.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM
fraggle
Rennlist Member

I always slowed way up in the marked "photo enforced" zones and I hope I was slow enough on Glen! My radar detector never chirped so I'm hoping it wasn't me that set the bloody thing off, but I spaced turning on X-band for the first half the drive so if the cameras were using it I was blissfully ignorant.

Good drive overall!

I vote to paypal whomever got nicked.

All those dates are good for me, just choose early and I'll plan it in.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
pgrenier
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, everyone. First, Steve, thanks much for arranging the wonderful gathering on Sunday. As a diehard Porsche fan and owner, it was great to see the cars out in force. Many have asked or expressed interest about my Evans, so I thought I might share a few pics and explain a bit about it. In the late 1980s, Jim Downing drove in the IMSA Camel Lights GTP Race Series. My car is built on the championship winning chassis. John Evans, whom I believe was on Mr. Downing's crew, obtained the chassis and the molds for the body panels. He converted the car to a two-seater, and added a few amenities for street use. John went through DOT and EPA certification in order to start his own car manufacturing company, which he did. Thus, my car actually has a manufacturer's certificate of origin. John never sold or titled the car. He then went into the business of building GT1 - LMP type cars for street use, and got a lot of press and attention, as his cars are dropdead gorgeous. I learned about John in the early 2000s, when I tried to buy one of his GT 1 cars. I was literally a day late, as someone else bought it first. For months I HOUNDED John to contact that purchaser so that I could try to buy it. No luck, but John and I developed a friendship over time -- he is located just outside of Atlanta. One day he told me that he was going to sell the orange car (Lamborghini orange, to be precise), which he had built in 1989 but never titled or sold. I was on a plane to Atlanta within three days, bought the car, and had it shipped up here. I then gave the car to Indy Lights mechanic Scott Michael (he has headed up Team Green, Michael Andretti's team, as well as others), up in York, PA. He had the car for 9 months, and literally tore out and fabricated new front and rear ends. Here are some pics of the car, showing some of Scott's work. Also pictured is my car in race livery, as raced by Jim Downing. The car is powered by a Chevy 350, mapped and blueprinted, mated to a short-shift ZF 5-speed tranny. The torque is beyond insane. Within 20 minutes of getting the car back after the work, I did a full 360 in the middle of Route 118 in Germantown. Not a pleasant experience. The only thing more impressive than the acceleration is the braking. I believe the car weighs about 1850 pounds -- it is simply a tube frame chassis, and engine, and carbon fiber body panels. I can pop off the front clip in about 20 seconds. Thanks again for welcoming the car to your gathering and enjoying it.
Attached Images      
Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
...Heck, if they put cameras on West Willard, we all would have been snagged doing ~60mph+ in a 30-35 zone...

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
...If we did another "Meet" in November, which date is best for you guys that are still left hanging on this post:

11/1
11/8
or 11/29?
right now any Sunday in November is good for me

Quick Reply: Post your pics here, starting pg 3! MD/DC/VA Rennlist "Meet & Drive" 9/13/09